Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Moser 9inch with Spohn Relocation Bracket Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007 | 10:07 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: SBC
Transmission: Manual Th-350
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.89's Spool.
Moser 9inch with Spohn Relocation Bracket Problems.

Hey guys, I just got done welding on my LCA brackets, they only would fit on 1 way and looked OK, but a friend came over the other day and said they look tilted back to far.

What do u guys think.

Old 06-20-2007 | 01:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Re: Moser 9inch with Spohn Relocation Bracket Problems.

Looks wrong to me. On my Currie rear, the top half should be just about straight across, not angled back like it is. Also, that front angled bit on mine is welded to the shock mount. The LCA arm swings through the holes in perfect alignment. Did you get the ones for the Moser rear end?

Old 06-20-2007 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by EvilCartman
Looks wrong to me. On my Currie rear, the top half should be just about straight across, not angled back like it is. Also, that front angled bit on mine is welded to the shock mount. The LCA arm swings through the holes in perfect alignment. Did you get the ones for the Moser rear end?
Yes I did, and yes I thought thats how there supposed to go, but you can see from the pics, there is no where else for them to move to, there right up against the shock mount with the bolt holes aligned.
Old 06-20-2007 | 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

The area that I would think needs to be in contact with the shock mount is what's circled. If it didn't fit, make it fit. The whole thing needs to be rotated forward. If you were to put that in your car, I don't think either of those two holes would line up and you'd have to use the stock hole. So all you accomplished is adding more weight to your car. Another reason why I like my Currie rear end, uses stock style brackets and didn't have any surprises like that.

See if you can get ahold of someone at Spohn, send them the picture and double check with them. At worst, you'll have to cut the welds and re-position the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Moser 9inch with Spohn Relocation Bracket Problems.-578131_9_fulla.jpg  
Old 06-21-2007 | 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by EvilCartman
The area that I would think needs to be in contact with the shock mount is what's circled. If it didn't fit, make it fit. The whole thing needs to be rotated forward. If you were to put that in your car, I don't think either of those two holes would line up and you'd have to use the stock hole. So all you accomplished is adding more weight to your car. Another reason why I like my Currie rear end, uses stock style brackets and didn't have any surprises like that.

See if you can get ahold of someone at Spohn, send them the picture and double check with them. At worst, you'll have to cut the welds and re-position the bracket.
After doing alot of research I agree. The problem with making it fit is there will be no bolt holes left on the Bracket. I had my part ppl call spohn and they got told to PFO. Spohn also decided to short my a main hoop for my rollbar. Im prob just going to cut these off, cleanup the rearend and get some UMI ones.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2007 | 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IROC4LIFE
After doing alot of research I agree. The problem with making it fit is there will be no bolt holes left on the Bracket. I had my part ppl call spohn and they got told to PFO. Spohn also decided to short my a main hoop for my rollbar. Im prob just going to cut these off, cleanup the rearend and get some UMI ones.

Thanks for the help.
They are very hard to install when the rear end is out of the car, although this is the easiest and best time to do it, it is also the toughest to know where to put them. Our instructions give you detailed directions on how to place them while the rear end is in the car. When we install them on a aftermarket rear end we place the rear in the car where it will sit, make all of our markings and then install them. This is what I suggest to do.

Here is a picture of my car with a Moser

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-22-2007 | 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

huh, interesting how with the Moser it doesn't contact the shock bracket. Thanks for putting up the pic Ryan.
Old 06-22-2007 | 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
They are very hard to install when the rear end is out of the car, although this is the easiest and best time to do it, it is also the toughest to know where to put them. Our instructions give you detailed directions on how to place them while the rear end is in the car. When we install them on a aftermarket rear end we place the rear in the car where it will sit, make all of our markings and then install them. This is what I suggest to do.

Here is a picture of my car with a Moser

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Ryan = Thanks for posting the pic and the explination, Im having Colin from Performance Plus get my Main Hoop and new Relocal brackets from you. And when I get them, that is how I will be installing them. But again the problem with these brackets is there simply was no other position for them without grinding off alot of metal.

I look forward to the installing the UMI ones.
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:44 AM
Supreme Member

so why exactly is the top whole bigger than those on the rear end or the other 2 holes on the relocation brackets? Would kind of make it easier to install if there wasn't any play
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex
so why exactly is the top whole bigger than those on the rear end or the other 2 holes on the relocation brackets? Would kind of make it easier to install if there wasn't any play
Yes indeed, but thats how they came, you can also see that the hole is not completely centered, and the bracket is up against the shock mount. there is no where else it can go without major grinding.
Old 06-25-2007 | 01:44 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

Ryan = Thanks for posting the pic and the explination, Im having Colin from Performance Plus get my Main Hoop and new Relocal brackets from you. And when I get them, that is how I will be installing them. But again the problem with these brackets is there simply was no other position for them without grinding off alot of metal.

I look forward to the installing the UMI ones.
We're all looking forward to trying UMI's brackets, I'm guessing they should hit the border any day now, so hopefully you'll have them by the end of the week.

And Ryan, I hope your stock's good on the Moser brackets, as I may have to order another few from you right away again.

Old 06-25-2007 | 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Yes indeed, but thats how they came, you can also see that the hole is not completely centered, and the bracket is up against the shock mount. there is no where else it can go without major grinding.

the question was to MR UMI or Spohn i guess about the reason why the hole is bigger...not "if" it's bigger...i already know that
Old 06-28-2007 | 02:48 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

Got the Umi brackets in today, set them beside the Spohn ones, and UMI for the win. I'll post pictures up later.
Old 07-01-2007 | 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CeeDubYa
We're all looking forward to trying UMI's brackets, I'm guessing they should hit the border any day now, so hopefully you'll have them by the end of the week.

And Ryan, I hope your stock's good on the Moser brackets, as I may have to order another few from you right away again.

Sounds great Colin, we usually always have them in stock

As for the hole, yes it is bigger. This allows some "play" when installing, you will find not every rear is identical.

Thanks!
Ryan