Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Steering/Tire rubbing issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '92 firebird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42 gears with eaton posi
Steering/Tire rubbing issues..

Well i was pulling out of a parking spot in reverse the other day a little faster than normal with the tires turned all the way or close to it and when i hit the brakes i heard the god awful crunchy noise of one or both of my front tires rubbing in the wheel well. turning around in my cold dee sac at full lock and giving it a little gas will net the same results. Any ideas? ball joints, steering components, wheel bearings?? im running the stock 15 inch wheels and stock size tires.

ive heard many people say that the binding feeling when turning sharply is normal for these cars but should the stock tires be rubbing?

thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10
Re: Steering/Tire rubbing issues..

The stock tire should always have a small clearance unless youve damaged/bent some critical piece of the suspension

The plastic inner fenders on teh otherhand fall down all the time and make terrible rubbing sounds

Go look real hard where your contacting, is it the steel inner fender or the plastic part thats just fallen down

Plastic is easy to remedy, steel contact means you have bigger fish to fry
Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 AM

well i took a look at her today and found that the drivers side isnt rubbing anywhere but on the passenger side there is about a 3 inch line where the tire has rubbed through the under coating, paint, and is down to the primer. it appears that the inside shoulder of the tire rubs in the steel part of the wheel well if the tires cranked all the way to the left. (makes sense, i turn around on my street going to the left.) any ideas?

Last edited by Red92Bird; 04-27-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10

Bent A arm? Wayyyyy out of whack tie rod?
Has your car been in a major wreck before?

Steel contact is the last thing you want, I think the factory left something like 3/4" at full lock
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

the factory left something like 3/4" at full lock
One imortant detail you forgot to mention:

WITH THE FACTORY TIRES.

Most tires nowadays have MUCH bigger shoulders than they did when these cars were new. People are expecting better cornering and handling, the water diversion technology has gotten better, they've figured out how to keep em from making as much noise. In short, modern tires are MUCH more aggressive than the old stuff was, even in the same "trade size"; and have a MUCH more "square" cross-section.

It's an EXTREMELY common complaint on these cars. Lowering actually helps, as the rubbing problem is worse when the suspension unloads (rebound) than when it loads. On mine for example, I can be taking a sharp left like turning into a driveway or something, but if the right side gets to the driveway first and raises up the front, THEN the tire starts rubbing. Or, if I give it alot of gas with the wheel near full lock (it's worst about 45° from full lock) and it makes the left front corner of the car come up.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 AM

[quote=sofakingdom;3320042]One imortant detail you forgot to mention:

WITH THE FACTORY TIRES.

Most tires nowadays have MUCH bigger shoulders than they did when these cars were new. People are expecting better cornering and handling, the water diversion technology has gotten better, they've figured out how to keep em from making as much noise. In short, modern tires are MUCH more aggressive than the old stuff was, even in the same "trade size"; and have a MUCH more "square" cross-section.
quote]

That sounds reasonable, but wouldnt it rub when turning full lock both right and left?

and the car has been in a minor collision or two. the only one i remember is when my mom was driving it in the winter, stopped on a hill, and the dude in front of her slid down the hill backwards into the car, but nothing major. this all happend years ago.

Last edited by Red92Bird; 04-30-2007 at 01:21 AM.