Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

front shock wont come out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84z28
Engine: 305h.o. mild mod's
Transmission: 700r4 shiftkit
front shock wont come out!

Alright my 84z has new shocks except the pass. side. The upper nut in the shock tower wont come undone, the bottom is still bolted to the LCA so I can manage getting the top undone. I soaked it with pb blaster the weekend before and last weekend, went to unloosen it according to the book and no dice. Next came the impact with big vicegrips on the shock cylinder, no good. Then some moderatly applied heat on the nut and still no good, finally the small cut off whell nibbling away at the nut, futile because the nut set's recessed down to far for the wheel, my fault. I suppose Im gonna have to toarch this apart and ruin the upper shock mount bushing?? I was trying not to go this far and spend 80 to 90 bucks on replacing it. Anyone with a serious idea or known fix to this dilema? Im gonna finnish this problem easter weekend when I get outta this semi here on the road.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
HPE
Banned

Re: front shock wont come out!

I take it you are having problems because even with the impact the shaft itself is just spinning with the nut? If the strut is bad then just clamp the hell out of the shaft underneath the wheelwell and impact the nut off. This will gouge the shaft but you are replacing it anyways.
From your interpetation I gather you might have done this but you did state you clamped the cylinder (You may be refering to the shaft itself so I will assume so). If thats the case you may just be SOL.If its any consolation, chances may be that the strut mounts you have are originals from 1984 and if so I guarantee they are worse for wear since rubber fails due to age alone. One of the VERY BEST suspension modifications you can do to the performance and pleasurable upgrade in steering response of any 3rd gen is to replace those crappy factory strut mounts with aftermarket solid bearing units - I highly recommend the ones Spohn sells. This mod will make your strut dampers work mcuh more effectively taking away they slop or nomans land of up and down movement the supsupension moves undampered due to the first 1/4" play of that crappy rubber bushing in the stock mounts- same applies for initial steering response imputs.http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1542

Last edited by HPE; 04-03-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try putting some spring tension on the strut, see if it starts to turn. You may also be able to sawzall or die grind one side of the nut off.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

I bought the upper strut mounts that Spohn sells, top quality and tightned up the car from the old rubber type. I reccomend them.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Car: 1999 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1 V8
Transmission: T-56 6spd

Get a dremel tool or cut off wheel and just just nut off at the sides. If you do not have a dremel tool and heady duty cut off wheels go buy one, they are priceless for stuff like this.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

Front shock? Put a wrench on the big nut and a socket on top of the shock threads if they have a hex head. Took mine apart today with a wrench and ratchet. They counter rotate the nut and shock so no spinning shaft syndrome with an impact.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 PM

If you've partially cut the nut, you should be able to hit it with a chisel and crack it all the way through. Dont know that it will help your situation, but it might.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Car: 84z28
Engine: 305h.o. mild mod's
Transmission: 700r4 shiftkit

I used a cutoff wheel and chopped off most of the nut then finnished it with a dremmel and a couple three small cut off wheels, came out like butter! I've already ordered aftermarket parts, should be here soon. I appreciate all of you guy's imput whether it was something I didnt or did know, it always helps to cover all the base's when someone needs a hand, Appreciate it alot, thanks fella's