Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

KYB-AGX front struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KYB-AGX front struts?

I am considering purchasing the KYB-AGX front struts. The reason I am considering these shocks is that I am looking for a shock that will allow for some weight transfer @ the track similar to a 90/10 shock, or better yet, a 70/30. I am wondering if anyone who owns KYB-AGX asjustible shocks gets better weight transfer on the softest setting? I have sub frame connectors, Sphoon LCA's, LCA relocation brackets & panhard rod, plus 1 inch lowering springs. I am not too concerned about how stiff I can get the struts, but I want the car to lift up and help plant the rear wheels @ the track so I can get some traction. I am hoping to be able to leave the track, adjust the shock to a more streetable setting for street driving. I would love to purchase the koni's, but they are twice the price. I am currently saving up my cash for a ford 9inch so I can run slicks.

Any info on the softest setting would be greatly appricated

Last edited by Raiden; 03-19-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 PM

No one has any advise on these shocks? I could just purchase some 70/30's but I want a good all around street/strip shock.

KYB AGX on the soft setting = what type of performance on the strip?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Car: 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Engine: 3.8 SFI Turbo
Transmission: 200-4r
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: KYB-AGX front struts?

I was considering the AGX adjustables for my car but found lots of mixed feedback. Some seemed to love them, others hate them.

I have a close friend from college that is a rep from KYB. He claims that the shocks are designed for a stock suspension. With lowering springs the ride height screws up the shocks and after a short time the valving gets screwed up. After getting that feedback I started paying attention to the people who hated them and most were lowered cars.

With that said, a koni shock is custom made per application. They are REALLY expensive compaired with the KYB shocks however they will take the lowering springs into consideration and give you years of use.

Anyone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:12 PM

Hey bro,

Thanks for the reply! I'm not looking for a shock that's gonna make my car corner better or anything like that. I want an adjustible shock so I can get some weight transfer to my rear wheels similar to a 90/10 or 70/30, then later dial it to a stock shock after I'm done at the track.

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:14 PM
HPE
Banned

In order to do what you are wanting, those typpe of adjustable struts will not do. they are mainly about an aprox 60/40 comp/rebound ratio strut for average daily driving and performance type use.In order to get the drag combo then go back to a road type damper the only strut I have ever seen with a double adjustable setup is Varistrut.With Varistrut, you can dial out your front rebound so the front raises quickly for weight transfer in drag racing and then dial it back up independantly for road course type use. The others are a one **** adjusting both comp and rebound up and down similtaniously and not independantly and will not get the rebound that low in the range needed.The varistrut can just be used conventionally without the coilover spring and will bolt right in. YOU SHOULD CONTACT THEM FIRST FOR YOUR VAVLING RANGE OF ADJUSTMENT NEEDS.
http://www.cachassisworks.com/
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 iroc z
Engine: LSX 376 F1A
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.42

these shocks are really great i have them all the way around. the nice thing about the rear shocks is that they are adjustable 8 levels.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM

Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350 fuel injected
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/370 gears

I currently have these struts installed on my car. I also had the same idea of a street/strip set-up. As far as on the road they are great! The handling is awesome. As far as the race track, I have not used them at the track yet but I would say that their weight transfer is not the best. they seem too stiff for that. Also right after I bought them I called KYB to as them about my idea and they said they are more for on the road and that the weakest setting is about the same as stock. It does feel like that is true and I currently have them set on the second lowest setting and they feel stiff compared to the stockers. hope that helps.