Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

KYBs vs Stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Engine: 3.8 SFI Turbo
Transmission: 200-4r
Axle/Gears: stock
KYBs vs Stock shocks

I have a friend from college that works as a rep for KYB. My 89 pace car has only 22,000 miles with the origional shocks. It never rode that great new. He says he could get me a killer deal on any KYBs if I want them.

My question is the KYB adjustable going to be a big improvement over stock? I really have'nt been having any problems with my stock ones but I know there is always room for improvement. The car is street driven, spirited rides through twisty roads with an occational drag race.

KYBs have seemed to be very contraversial compared to big dollar shocks but does everybody agree they would be a big improvement over stock?

Approximately how much labor is involved with a complete set of shocks and struts? Just trying to figure out how much this will cost my race/car fund.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Improved from stock, but over the counter autozone ones are in the same league as the KYB's, same as advance. I would save my money for bilsteins but that is just me.

as for labor set aside 2-3 hours.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
yea ur gona start a lil war here lol everyones gona throw wat they feel is better etc...

im going with KYB gr2 in the front and gas a just in the rear....bc i wanted better than stock but i have a tight budget...its really up to u, KYB would be an improvement over stock but a set of blistens or Koni would be the best. those brands are for a serious performance/track use and its reflective of its price. think about ur budget and what kind of performance u are looking for.the koni's and blistens are stiffer than the KYB's but the KYB agx's are adjustable so u have some leway...ive heard that their softest setting is like a worn out OEM shock and there stiffest is like a dump truck lol it really depends on ur budget and ur driving.
heres a universal theory...goin from least performance to exceptionally stiff
1. OEM stock
2. over counter advance,etc, KYB gr2
3. gas-a-just
4.KYB AGX adjustables
5. TOKio HP/Koni reds
6. Tokio adjustables/Blistens
7. QA1 billet adjustables/KONI yellows....

some of these are close to call like the koni reds/tokios but the better ones are the blistens/koni yellows/ QA1's