Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Having custom cage built...have ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 & '90 RS Vert & '89 RS
Engine: 5.7L & none & 2.8L (soon to be LSX)
Transmission: yes
Axle/Gears: One's with teeeeefs
Having custom cage built...have ??'s

So I am going in this week to talk to guys at Maxim Chassis to have them start designing and figuring out a roll cage for my '89 RS. I am looking for a little imput so I don't look like a fool in there (my first cage). I understand how the "points" system works (aka 6 pt, 8 pt, 12 pt), but from most of what I have looked into, those are usually designed more towards drag racing to give better rearward weight transfer and to reduce torsion (twisting flex). I am wanting to build more of a road coarse car. I want it to go into and out of the corners under power and under control. Is there anything that I should be looking for in a cage? The rest of the car is being built for speeds of over 180, poss even over 200mph (at least in theory), so I am wanting something that will keep me alive in a worse case scenario with that, too. Am I just basically needing to go in there and have these guys build a NASCAR inside my 3rd Gen? From what I have read (and could understand), for what I am going to be doing, I need as much of this cage triangulated as possible to keep the rigidity high, but are there any other things I need to ask them about? These guys are obviously going to know what they are doing.....they build Steve Kinser's Outlaw chassis', but I want as much of an edge as I can get on how this needs to be built. The cage is probably going to be built with chrome moly as I have no doubt they will be able to weld it properly. I guess I am just looking for all/any tips and tricks that may help me out.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Drag racing, road racing, stock car racing all have different requirements for cages. Buy a rulebook for the sanctioning body you wish to participate in and have the cage built to proper specs.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
Drag racing, road racing, stock car racing all have different requirements for cages. Buy a rulebook for the sanctioning body you wish to participate in and have the cage built to proper specs.
this is the best advice you'll get.

i can tell you, it sounds like you dont want a standard NHRA cage...
Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
cages are generally built to keep you legal. ie, you NEED to have a cage if your car is faster than x (drag racing) or in certain types of road style racing. This is just the law of the races. Not necessarily to tighten up the car, or add stiffness, that's just a bonus, especially for us sub-frame car guys.

If this place builds a lot of cages in cars, they should be able to show you some cars they're working on, show you what a 6pt looks like, what a 12 looks like. In person it's a lot more clear how intrusive they can be. Oh, and definately look at what the rules are for where you want to race.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Camaro LS
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T-5 World Class
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Open baby!!
Also NHRA, and SCCA A Sedan have to entirely different cage requirements...
Get the books and look into it.
I was seeing if I could have a universal cagelayout , when I was looking into a cage
NOT EVEN CLOSE...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally Posted by 87LS
Also NHRA, and SCCA A Sedan have to entirely different cage requirements...
Get the books and look into it.
I was seeing if I could have a universal cagelayout , when I was looking into a cage
NOT EVEN CLOSE...
there are alot of contridictions between what the NHRA expects, and what everyone else requires...

you could make somethign that would pass both, but it would have alot of redundent bars..lol
Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 & '90 RS Vert & '89 RS
Engine: 5.7L & none & 2.8L (soon to be LSX)
Transmission: yes
Axle/Gears: One's with teeeeefs
Originally Posted by MrDude_1
there are alot of contridictions between what the NHRA expects, and what everyone else requires...

you could make somethign that would pass both, but it would have alot of redundent bars..lol
Hmmmmmm....that's what it sounds like everyone here is telling me. That seems kind of strange that something that will keep me safe at 200 mph on the road will not pass a tech inspection thru NHRA. I really wasn't wanting to have it qualify for any one specific sanctioning body. I don't have any road coarses close and don't have the time to haul it all over the country to make it worthwhile to certify it for SCCA or any other sanctioning body, and it would very rarely see a drag strip, but it would be nice to take it down to Gateway (only 100 miles away from me) for test and tune nights for fun. The shop that I am going to have do the work builds mainly Outlaw and Champ cars and midgets. They do custom work, and I've heard they do good work with full bodied car cages also. Thanks for all the help. I guess I am just going to have to go in and talk to them and see what they say....