Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Aftermarket K members

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket K members

Is there a good write up on the Net about the workings and installation of aftermarket K members for third gen. Camaros? Do these eliminate the need for a strut? Help me out...I'm just a little ignorant on this subject. Thanks, Ed.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
an aftermarket k-member replaces the factory k-member in every way exect being that its make out of tubing not stamped steel or whatever the stock piece is made of. so you still use all of your stock suspension components. you can buy coilover conversions but i believe they are for race use only.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that someone had fabricated a short and long arm style suspension for 3rd gen Camaros, similar to what 4th gen cars use. I don't like the strut system.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally Posted by Edward01
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that someone had fabricated a short and long arm style suspension for 3rd gen Camaros, similar to what 4th gen cars use. I don't like the strut system.
no but people do make hits to put the superior(for drag racing) strut system on 4thgens.

4thgens needed a cushier more pleasing ride for the women that make up 60% of new fbody sales... so instead of a GOOD strut setup, or a GOOD a arm setup... they got a crap setup that uses a strut, and two a arms.... its heavy, still flexes from the towers, and the geometry sucks for performance usage... it is NOT something to aspire to.

now if you want a upper a arm, id imagine it would nto be too hard to fabricate something, since the lower a arm is identical to teh S10/gbody/2ndgen/9billion other GMs.... all you would need is to cut the fender , reinforce the front subframe and create a upper A arm mount.. then use a spindle from a S10 or Gbody... really, you could go with all aftermarket parts for one of them, and have a trick setup...

but in the end, you'll gain nothing. you can already pull over 1g on the skidpad without any fabrication work... with all the tweaks on here, you can be competitive in any roadracing or autocross class these cars are qualified for.... and if its for fugging around on the street, the stock setup is more capable then the tires or road surface you'll be on.

what exactly is your goal here?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:29 AM

Mr. Dude, thanks for responding. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong direction. What I'm looking for is good all around performance...do they call it Pro Touring...able to compete on an autocross, on the drag strip, yet still be relatively comfortable cruising on the Interstate? Should I, instead, be looking for adjustable stuts and shocks? I'm open to suggestions. I have a '91 Z, with a good drivetrain, bad interior, and a body with a few dents/bumps/scratches purchased, out of California, just before my bride decided I wasn't good enough to play house with anymore. Quite frankly, I don't know what to do with it. Sitting on the horns of a dilemma can be painful....but it's consuming garage space with no return on my poor investment at this point. I'd appreciate some direction...as I have no direction at this time. Thanks, Ed.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 AM

Car: 86 Z-28
Engine: 355 small block XR276HR roller cam
Transmission: TCI built 700r4 2000 lockup stall
Axle/Gears: moser axels auburn posi 3:73 gears
get out your check book an start writing! there was a article in the mag chevy high performance called turn an burn they compared the car after mods to a poormans z06. im running pretty close to that setup in my car my old man happens to have that z06 an with trac control off im running better #s but in all this i have to tell you im not running a stock motor whitch helps coming out of the corners if you dont smoke the tires. turn an burn kackel like mad men
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks Sprojam. Do you know what month of Chevy High Performance that is in? Also, you're running a 355? Would you mind sharing your engine setup?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:56 AM

if you go to their site you can look it up the mag is buried in a box somewhere sorry. as far as the motor i built it off one of their build sheets i have to say theirs dynod better then mine but it still is making a solid 425 at the crank alot of help from friends an alot of money i wish i would have bought a crate more cost effective but i have learnt aton much more envolved then a budget rebuild that would have fit much nicer in my budget just comin out of a divorce much like yourself lol
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks Sprojam. I'll try to look it up on their site. Are you still running a TPI?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 AM

no my car was carbed from the get go. im now running a edebrock thunder series carb some say i dont get the dyno #s because i should of went with a holley or demon series like they used in the mag article. that and ive never tried to mess much with fuel injection so im a fish out of water when it comes to that although being protouring is a sport of driving an raceing i may wander in that direction some day. good luck
Old 10-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Edward01
Mr. Dude, thanks for responding. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong direction. What I'm looking for is good all around performance...do they call it Pro Touring...able to compete on an autocross, on the drag strip, yet still be relatively comfortable cruising on the Interstate? Should I, instead, be looking for adjustable stuts and shocks? I'm open to suggestions. I have a '91 Z, with a good drivetrain, bad interior, and a body with a few dents/bumps/scratches purchased, out of California, just before my bride decided I wasn't good enough to play house with anymore. Quite frankly, I don't know what to do with it. Sitting on the horns of a dilemma can be painful....but it's consuming garage space with no return on my poor investment at this point. I'd appreciate some direction...as I have no direction at this time. Thanks, Ed.

sounds to to me like you want a "cool fun car" to pay around with..
just from what you said.... id start out with the interior and fixing the body.

i mean, its not a race car, and no matter how tricked out you make the chassis, if the interior sucks, you cant really enjoy cruising in it.

besides, its hard to pickup chicks if the exterior isnt upto snuff...

id fix whats wrong first... then you'd have a good drivetrain and a good car....
once you're driving your good car, you'll find things you'll want to do on your own...

as far as shock/strut reccomendations.. i havent found a combo thats adjustible enough to allow the drag performance i want, and work everywhere else... you can get some stiff aftermarket ones and they'll work great on the street, autox, ect.... 99% of what most cars see.... but stiff struts dont work on the dragstrip...
i swap struts to 90/10s for the strip...

really i would work on what i knows wrong with the car.... and while doing that, you'll find a direction you want to go.
from there you can make a plan... and from that plan, you'll know your mods.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 PM

good advice a good running clean car is always more fun then one thats torn apart an just a dream. break it down into small projects keeping the car running for cruise nights. gotta love them chicks but honestly they just ad weight an slow you down gotta keep them around though lol
Old 10-27-2006, 01:30 PM

MrDude and Sprojam...thanks for your input. Breaking it down into small projects does sound like the right thing to do. The interior is pretty bad so I'll start there. Thanks again, Ed.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

this is one of thoese threads where i need to take my own damn advice... my cars interior needs to go back in.. lol.

i pulled it out for a cage, and havent re-installed everything yet. lol.