Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Interesting chassis reinforcement idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi
Interesting chassis reinforcement idea

OK...Let me preempt this by saying it designed for 2nd gen f-bods, but its worth a look.

and here is the website:
F-BODY PERFORMANCE

Its a design for 2nd gen cars but the concept seems like it could be easily modified to work on a 3rd gen, thus increasing rigidity without having to chop up the interior with a heavy roll bar/cage and decreasing comfort and interior space.

I dont know....just a thought from a suspension/chassis *****.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......
the idea is good, but it really wouldn't be doing much. There's no foward load in the shock mount area, therefore bracing it from the front wouldn't have much effect. - The roof does this by itself. It could be a little help in a t-top, maybe even a vert(which have some additional factory bracing in this area, behind the trim panels), but sfc's would still be much more effective. - Contrary to a lot of people's belief about these cars, they're not prone to "sag" in the center, they twist in the center w/o sfc's.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 PM

Really there are all sorts of reinforcements like that you could fab up for our cars to help, thats probably the most intrusive idea short of a 6 point or cage. I'd say that a bar running from shock tower to shock tower would work with that idea quite well. Lately I've been trying to come up with some pieces to tie the LH and RH sides rather than relying on the floor to take care of it since my car has no roof. The overall chassis really is a group of components tied together with spot welds and sheetmetal that works but leaves much room for improvement.

There's likely no forward load from the shock itself, but there is forward load in that area... has to be, the frame rail bends down to the floorboard in that area. Anywhere a load has to change direction it is going to exert loads in the direction it was traveling to begin with.