Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

spohn torque arm instal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spohn torque arm instal problems

Hey guys,
I am in the process of installing a new spohn's adjustable torque arm with foward drive shaft safety loop. (this is the one that relocates the torque arm mounting bracket off the trans tail shaft.
I have a '91Z with a T5
My problem is that the new trans mount won't fit. I have tried both the poly and a regular rubber mount (like sphon mentions), but once the mount is in place on th bottom of the trans, the new cross member won't sit flush against the subframe. I have lifted/raised the trans up a little more, but there just isn't enough space for the mount? What am I doing wrong.
ANy one have any pics ofI theirs installed?
I have the trans mount sitting flush against the trans,
I have the cross member in the correct way (I think) - the torque arm locating bracket points up, and the rubber pads that are labled L and R point up towards the subframe
I have tride mounting the new trans cross member first and then pushing the trans mount in place, but there just isn't enough space, unless of course I am to force the mount into place with a rubber malat - but even then there isn't enough clearance....
What gives?
I am at my wits end as to what to do
ANy help would be appreciated,
-Andrew
Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 PM

Car: 1985 TRANS AM
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: T-5
call spohn tech dept... they can give you more destructions.....
Old 04-03-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 85SILVERBULLET
call spohn tech dept... they can give you more destructions.....
Not quite sure if you are being sarcastic or not -

I called the tech department and was told that my OEM trans mount could be the culprit - From what was described the OEM mount should be the same height as the new poly mount - I have never seen a new OEM mount so I really can't comment, but that said, assuming my original mount is shot, should my trans be sitting a full 1" to 1.5" higher? My old mount is an almost full 1" shorter than the new poly and rubber mounts that I have.
Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm just afarid to break something as I move my trans up - How much upward movement is acceptable?
-Andrew

Last edited by kaptinkafeen; 04-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Kat
Supreme Member

Car: Camaro Vert
Engine: 355 HSR
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 S60
Do you have a TKO 5 speed?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:56 PM

Kat,
No I have a BW WC T5.
I ended up jacking the trans up even more, and have finally got the mount in place...
Now I am having the same trouble some others have had with the differential mounting bracking having too much powder coating on it thus not allowing the bracket to slide into place over the dif. Ah the saga continues...
-Andrew
Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Originally Posted by kaptinkafeen
Kat,
No I have a BW WC T5.
I ended up jacking the trans up even more, and have finally got the mount in place...
Now I am having the same trouble some others have had with the differential mounting bracking having too much powder coating on it thus not allowing the bracket to slide into place over the dif. Ah the saga continues...
-Andrew
Thanks
thats a common problem, i just stuck my jack inbetween the mount of the tq. arm(where it mount to the rear end). and just spread it just a hair, slipped over with no problems.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
thats a common problem, i just stuck my jack inbetween the mount of the tq. arm(where it mount to the rear end). and just spread it just a hair, slipped over with no problems.

I'm not sure what you mean - how does the jack fit between the bracket?
Oh and one other thing - the bracket has 4 holes in it - I am assuming that I use the first two or the ones that are furthest to the right (looking from the top)
-Andrew
Old 04-03-2006, 07:26 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
the end of the tq. where it bolts to the rear which you can't get to slide over. Just stick the jack in the middle and jack it up and you spread it a part just a hair. that way you can slide it over the rear to bolt it down.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the tip...ThirdgenLS1
I got everything lined up and am ready to set the pinion angle, but
1. the torque arm bolts (even with the washers out of the picture) seem to be too short as the OEM nuts do not 'pull' enough of the bolt through, and
2. the 7/16"* 1 1/2" studs that are supplied with the new poly trans mount are also too short - I can hardly get enough of the stud's thread to show so that I can use the recommended flat and lock washers - What gives?
It seems every step of this torque arm instal has thrown me a 'curve ball' - mind you the actual set up looks good and so far except for the minor inconveniences has been alright. Anyone else have issues with the bolts? How much of the bolt's thread should pass through the nut to be safe? Or do I have to go out and buy longer studs and bolts?
Again, thanks for ANY info
-Andrew

Last edited by kaptinkafeen; 04-03-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro
kaptinkafeen, as an engineering note thread engagement should always be atleast 2/3's the diameter so if you're using a 1/2" bolt you want 2/3's of 1/2" of thread engagement. This is for static load bolts though nothing with vibration or heat, in those cases I go 1X the diameter.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:14 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
Ac, good info, I have never heard that.

kaptin:
My trans/crossmember mounted fine with zero problems. Not sure whats going on there. BW WC T5, with ES poly trans mount.

rear axle mounting. Mine was stiff fit, wack with rubber mallet. Sphon sells new axle mount bolts, as they know the stock ones are very short.. but acceptable. I still have stock bolts in mine after 15 months.

Other issues. That mount that goes to the axle is known for hitting the undercarriage. Might want to have someone force the rear end down while you watch to see how close it comes. Mine also slightly rubbed a bolt in the trans tunnel area. I removed the bolt/bracket and have not had any issues after that.

Make sure you tighten the front "pivoting" bolts as speced in the directions.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks for all the assistance guys,
I guess with the rear mounting bolts - I may have to get longer ones, like spohn sells - I think his are standard 9/16" - but they are a long length - must be about +7 1/4" long, to make up the difference. Regular OEM lenght was 185mm.
With the poly mount studs - In your opinion(s) did I do something wrong with the instal - perhaps mount the trans mount to the cross member first and then instal, followed by bolting the mount to the trans - I can't see how this would change anything. Longer studs seem to be the only option.
Again, TIA
-Andrew
Old 07-04-2006, 01:05 AM

i just did the spohn torque arm install a few weeks ago. the rear housing mount was a big pain in the a$$. but i then just put some old motor oil on the tip of my finger and coated the meeting surfaces and then used a i think its a 3lb rubber dead blow hammer. no problem. the jack idea is a simple and easy idea. i would have tried that if i thought of it would have been easier then beating on the torque arm in while laying on my side under the car.lol