Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Some random roll bar/cage questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006 | 08:41 PM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 6.3L Megasquirted HSR
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi 9 bolt
Some random roll bar/cage questions....

Yes, I searched.

For those if you that have a 6/8pt roll "bar" (cage, whatever you want it to be), did you take out your headliner prior to install, or did you leave it in? And if you did take it out, how hard was it to put back in, specifically t-top cars. I havent even ordered my headliner yet and just wanted to make sure I can go ahead and put my 8pt in without having any problems.

And whats about the "going rate" on cage install? Im not talking cutting and welding, I mean measuring to within NHRA/IHRA specs and all? Im thinkin at least $300, because I dont have a welder and dont know how to either. Anyone on here in the ATL who can install it for me, or know of someone in the area that can? YearOne is like 15 miles up the road from me, but I havent called them to see if they even install them, or how much.
Old 03-23-2006 | 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Not sure about a T top model, but everyone I know that had put one in their car, removed EVERYTHING in the interior, except the dash, and steering wheel, and they covered that with heavy material. Most, if not all of the welding will be done in the interior. It wont take much for some welding splatter to ruin interior panels. Probably can get by without removing the door panels, as the doors would be open for the install. You would also want to check the fit with the sidebar, and armrest area as well.
Old 03-23-2006 | 10:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
don't forget that cage install is typically 75-150 PER point that you want welded in. I had my buddy weld mine in and I notched/cut each bar to fit how I wanted it into the car, took us probably 16 hours total as it was my first cage install. So really it was 2 days worth of food, $40 worth of welding gas and 2 spools of wire I had to buy him. Check your local dirt oval track, those guys will usually help someone out for a few cases of beer and small money during the off season.
Old 03-23-2006 | 10:43 PM

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
The more interior removed, the better. If someone is going to be welding in your bar/cage, they're going to want as much of it removed as possible to prevent burning/melting anything. If you take it out, you won't have to pay someone to do it.

Typical installation is closer to $100-$150 per point. It's going to depend on the shop that's going to do it. Have someone put it in who's familiar with NHRA/IHRA rules. Circle track rules have different requirements.

The price of a roll bar/cage kit is cheap. Having it installed is what costs the most money. A good chassis shop won't even need a kit. They should be able to make a custom set of bars.

My car has no interior so installing my cage was easy. I have a 10 point cage built to 12 point specs. I just don't have the bars going forward through the firewall. I also added a sill bar joining the main hoop to the A-piller bars along the bottom of the door sill. I use a Jegs kit and can still remove my T-tops if I want to.