Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

quick question on springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1LE
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
quick question on springs and shocks

just a quickie guys..

but what's a good way to test if shocks/struts are blown, and also, how would I know if I've got sagging springs?

I just installed a set of lowering springs and shocks (OEM) that are USED from a friend, and the pass REAR is sitting a bit higher than the driver's rear tire. I took it for a test drive to seat the suspension, but no luck.. thanks!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Measure the car on a flat surface, if the drivers and pass side of either the front or rear are not even then there is a problem with the springs. You can re-install the spring and ensure it is indexed properly. If you still have the problem, then the springs are probably worn (assuming everything else is the same, example both sides have isolators). Unfortunately for the average enthusiast, we dont have the tools to really verify if a spring or strut or shock is worn, we have to use these sort of ghetto tests. Shops that make this stuff have machines to test them. Anyway, for the struts/shocks you can tell if they're worn if the body movement is excessive, car is bouncing up and down when you go over speedbumps, or if the front or rear bottoms out. Body movement should be firm and nothing should bottom out.