Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Removing engine cradle questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005 | 08:15 PM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 6.3L Megasquirted HSR
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi 9 bolt
Removing engine cradle questions

Long story short, I notched my engine cradle on the drivers side to try and get some LTs to fit. Turns out they werent for my car (bought em cheap from a guy at work). The hole is pretty big, and Im forced to replace the x-member rather than trying to reinforce it and hope for the best. Only thing is that the 383 isnt ready to bolt in yet, so I have less weight to put on the coil springs to take them out.

My main question is whats the best way to take out the coil springs without having to buy/rent a spring compressor? I have strut spring compressors, but I dont think they'll work.

And if I remember correctly, I have to take the A-arms, coil springs, struts and knuckles off and then just 4-6 bolts that hold the x-member in, correct? I dont have to dissassemble my brakes do I? I dont feel like messin around with wheel bearings just yet
Old 09-06-2005 | 08:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: clapped out 84Z
Engine: 355 efi roller
Transmission: tremec TKO
Re: Removing engine cradle questions

Originally posted by spills
My main question is whats the best way to take out the coil springs without having to buy/rent a spring compressor?
You will need a spring compressor without an engine in the car (even with one in the car it makes it way easier). Eastwood sells one cheap, or rent one. Look at the pics in this post for what you will need:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ing+%2Bsprings

A-arms (at the ball joint) stay hooked to the knuckle which stays hooked to the strut which stays hooked onto the car. You will have to pull the swaybar endlinks off, and unbolt the brake lines that are bolted to the k-member in a couple of spots. You will also want to unbolt the front brake hose brackets so it will be easier to move the front control arms around. Then it's just 6 main bolts after the spring is out, and 2 triangle shaped brackets in the front.

Last edited by Lo-tec; 09-06-2005 at 08:44 PM.