Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

adventures at Firestone.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 350ci, tbi
adventures at Firestone.

Finally got around to taking the car for an alignment, I got the firestone lifetime alignment for 119.00. The tech must have been excited to be at work at 7 am Saturday because he was not patient driving my car to the lift, went through a dip in the parking lot to fast,,,scraaaaaape, then up on the ramps what looked to fast to me.,,,,,scraaaaped.

The rear end was only 0.10 of an inch shifted to the right after the lowering. I had to get the wheels balanced so they did that too.

Even though I was standing at the garage entrance near the car the whole time. I didn’t notice it when the mechanic mounted the rears on the front and fronts on the rears…had em all torqued down too. He tried to roll the car a bit and it wouldn’t move….sayin the brakes are locked. No there rubbing the shocks. I was like OH crap something I did is messed up. Then i walked into the garage and saw and said you got the wheels on wrong…. Coincidently at that moment manager came out and told me to get out of the garage area…LOL.
So I moved to my spot, just outside but still able to see . The tech made a comment about my “Chrome strut mounts “ .

Anyway. After 1.5 hours there I’m like look Mom no hands , rolling straight as an arrow down the highway.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i wouldnt go back there. i'd be pist if they scraped bottom TWICE! I'd take it to someone who cared a little bit more about your stuff.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Seriously, I would've yelled at the guy to get the hell out of the car and then drove off. Glad to hear it runs straight though.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Depends what he scraped. If it was the airdam I'd laugh sheepishly. If it was a bumper I'd drive away.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by firebirdjosh
Depends what he scraped. If it was the airdam I'd laugh sheepishly. If it was a bumper I'd drive away.
No. Anyplace that I take my car that I'm giving my hard earned money needs to earn it. By treating my car that way and having no remorse for it they're showing they couldn't care less. If he scraped it the first time stop, checked things and apologized then it might be another story.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 350ci, tbi
It was my exhaust near the cat, it hangs pretty low, but yeah he should have gone a bit slower.

He knew the car had been lowered, and i think that ticked him off because he knows it throws the geometry off. I heard him mumble something about an "all day alignment".

really it only took him about and hour to do, could have been less if he hadn't put the rear wheels on the front
Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the tech and manager sound like idiots also. you would think if you just rotated tires and it doesnt move, maybe look if something is making contact with the tires. The manager should of asked why you were there instead of just kicking you out. i wouldnt go back ever