Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Conflicting problems with springs and spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conflicting problems with springs and spring rates

i was planing on cutting my coils taking the cheap rout so i can put more into other suspension parts (granted you can get a hole set for 100 bucks) but this is the way i wanna take i have
Front:
BZX 14029398 611lb/in
Rear:
NNL 10018091 155lb/in

generally cutting one coil increases spring rates 25% being that i have ditch some weight up front 100 to 120 lbs or more witch means i might all have to cut more off the front increasing the front rate,
Will this throw off my handling?
i think it might being that all almost have a rate of 750lbs up front, should i get softer springs for the front from another camaro or bird and start from there? also i plan on getting the KYB GR-2 shocks
so hopefuly i can match them with the springs? also i dont know and havent looked but do the 93-97 coil over struts work on are cars with no other mods? or just the non-coil over ones from the 4thgens?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Agood2.8,
Engine: V6rsr,
Transmission: Afrikingoodtime
What is the free length height of one coil on the coil spring you are planning to cut?

Reason why I ask is that you may be cutting off one coil and dropping the front of the car about 3" or even more. It needs to be calculated for ride height, not just cut to increase spring rate.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

i said generally cutting, not that i was going to cut one coil,
im just saying that now i don't have as much weight up front and the spring rate is 611/in so even if i cut them all to where i need to be the front might need to be cut a bit more because of the subtracted weight, witch means a stiffer front witch could throw off my handling?
i want to drop 1.5" all around but all have neary 700lb/in springs up front with 195lb/in out back
Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
Screw this about stuff, i would just use some spring equations.

http://www.engineerstoolbox.com/doc/...ring_help.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/design.html

http://www.efunda.com/DesignStandard...signer_eqn.cfm

http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/DANotes/s...tro/intro.html

Its really not that complex, springs are very simple force porducing devices, with very simple equations.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

still no awser as to weather or not this is going to thorw off my handleing
Old 03-15-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z/28, 89 RS Race Car
Engine: 305 stock / ZZ4 AFR 195 9.7:1
Transmission: T5 / t10 / Jerico
Axle/Gears: 10blt w 3.42, 9 in w /3.80 DL
It will change your handling.

The v6 will change the handling.

Lowering the car will change it.

Stiffer springs will change it.

So yes it will "throw off your handling"

You have been given good advise from the above post. My suggestion would be to follow their recomendations.

You have asked a question without an easy answer.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Re: Conflicting problems with springs and spring rates

Originally posted by NEEDforSPEED
i was planing on cutting my coils taking the cheap rout so i can put more into other suspension parts (granted you can get a hole set for 100 bucks) but this is the way i wanna take i have
Front:
BZX 14029398 611lb/in
Rear:
NNL 10018091 155lb/in

Huh… where did you get those numbers? Those are not the specified rates by GM but are the exact average numbers that I posted on another board years ago that I got from actually measuring a few sets.

generally cutting one coil increases spring rates 25% being that i have ditch some weight up front 100 to 120 lbs or more witch means i might all have to cut more off the front increasing the front rate,
Will this throw off my handling?

Cut the coils for the spring rates that you want and then shim them using different thickness spring isolators to get the ride height you want. The NNL’s rate will go up proportionately much faster (as you cut the front the rate doesn’t go up as fast as I’d really like for the ride height drop, and vice versa for the rear), and you’ll find that you’ll get a decent ride height and fairly balanced ride with a coil cut from the front and half cut from the rear, and then the thick spring isolator from the rear springs installed in the front (they’ll fit, they’re the same diameter and actually seat well in the top pocket). With a chunk of rubber hose on the top coil of the rear spring (just enough to kill any noise but not enough to change the ride height, you’ll find that you’ll be a little lower then with eibach pro kit springs with similar spring rates (the rear rate is a little higher and specific rate, so you may find that you’ll want to go with a softer rear bar or at least rubber bushings on the rear bar to get balanced handling).

i think it might being that all almost have a rate of 750lbs up front, should i get softer springs for the front from another camaro or bird and start from there? also i plan on getting the KYB GR-2 shocks
so hopefuly i can match them with the springs?

Front springs cut like I described will be right around 800 or so lb/in, the rears will be in the high 180 range to as high as 200 depending on how accurately you cut. Eibach pros are supposed to be either 697 or 710 front (depending on what information from them you trust) and 109-177 or 108-170 rear (again, depending on where you get your info), and usually measure in the mid 600’s front…

If you want something tamer you can cut the front springs ½ a coil, use the stock isolator and find some softer rear springs (some later RS springs or something similar would be a good place to start looking) and cut them till appropriately matched with the front.

also i dont know and havent looked but do the 93-97 coil over struts work on are cars with no other mods? or just the non-coil over ones from the 4thgens?
4th gen rear stuff interchanges, front stuff does not at all.