Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Air bags - handling compared to drop springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 TA
Engine: Aluminum Fuelie
Transmission: Mother of All Manuals
Air bags - handling compared to drop springs

I'm looking at replacing my shocks and getting the sportlines drop springs while I'm at it. I know I will need an adjustable panhard bar, LCA relocator brackets, etc. The problem I have is I have a steep driveway, and I know that with this lowering kit I probably won't be able to make it up. I was reading up on some posts regarding air bag suspension and it seems that a lot of people like it. I don't want to slam my car, just drop it about 2" more than stock, and then be able to raise it for the driveway and nasty dips or speed bumps. That's the only reason I'm looking at bags. Otherwise I think I'd just go with a set of Bilsteins and the sportline springs.

How would handling be with air bag suspension? There are a lot of curvey mountain roads here and if I get bags I don't want to be coming around corners and having the car sag to the side. I'd like it to be like normal suspension with a good set of shocks. Is this possible with air bag suspension?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

rides better then springs with the adjustment of coilovers. can't say enough about it. just be sure to get a "4-way" setup if your worried about performance. this keeps the air transfer to zero so when your making turns you don't get that "boat" like feel that is associated with air ride and hydraulic systems of earlier years.

air ride technologies makes the best equipment on the market and they build their setups for the performance minded. if you are looking for show scrapping stance then air ride technologies isn't for you. check out air lift located here in michigan as well as chassis tech they design their systems for the lowest drops possible.

i had a big red max ride pro-e system on my late 91 and it was incredible the ride i had over my previous upgrades of once coilover setup and the old eibach with bilstein combo.

if you don't want to get into air ride eibach sportlines and bilstein sports are the best way to go for a 2" drop although the ride is much better with the pro-kit and hd's. if you don't mind spending a little more for the adjustment you won't regret it. air ride was the best modification i did to that car.

good luck.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Kandied91z
if you are looking for show scrapping stance then air ride technologies isn't for you.
So in other words if I didn't want something that drug my exhuast on the ground, then Air Ride Tech is what I want. So in that case, I want ART, right?

So the 4 way valve setup means that when I come around a corner it can quickly adjust and pump in more air to the outside bags, taking air out of the inside bags (to equalize) or what?

And did you have a set of switches with presets? I'm thinking flip the switch one way and I have the "crusing" setup, and the flip it again and I have the "bumps" setup, where it lifts the car up for the driveway or speed bumps, etc. And how fast did the system air up? Meaning, if I came across a speed bump, I can't stop in the road for 15 seconds waiting for my car to rise.

Thanks man.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

do a search on the net... what i meant was ART builds their setups to have lowered cars that ride/perform well and have adjustment when necessary. they use provisions in their kits that keep people from hurting their car by lowering it too much or raising it too much. just better made all together. however because of these types of provisions ART typically isn't chosen for those who are looking for the cheapest or even lowest setups as when they are usually the ART equipment has been modified.

go to www.ridetech.com and do some research if your interested. they also have a forum where several of the guys from air ride check in on a daily basis to answer questions. they'll set you on the straight and narrow.

as far as setup, no a 4 way means you have 8 valves (2 per a side) so there isn't a chance air transfer between corners.

here is an easy explanation...

take a baloon, a long baloon and pinch it at various areas in the center. you can see one side get more air when the otherside looses air. now imagine cutting the balloon in half or basically having two smaller balloons. try to squeeze them and the air has no where to go. the 2 balloons are much tighter and harder to squeeze then the one single balloon.

this is the difference between a 2 and 4 way setup. 4 way is also much faster with rise time.

as far as presets... sure you can get them. it's just more money. i only had 3. 1 for ride height on start, 1 for lowest drop possible for parking and 1 for cruising ride height for perfect roads. bumps and other things i adjusted on the fly when needed.

if you do a search on air ride you'll find plenty of pictures of my car and others at various heights showing the range of motion.

here is my feature on their website....
http://www.ridetech.com/projectview....696&SUBSYS=CC#

check out CHP for their short article on why air ride is the new performance suspension mod as well as be on the look out after the new year for a few more features with my car that will describe in depth the suspension and how it works. should be hitting newstands jan-march 05'

Last edited by Kandied91z; 11-17-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:52 PM

take a baloon, a long baloon and pinch it at various areas in the center. you can see one side get more air when the otherside looses air. now imagine cutting the balloon in half or basically having two smaller balloons. try to squeeze them and the air has no where to go. the 2 balloons are much tighter and harder to squeeze then the one single balloon.
So you are saying that basically with a 4 way setup, there are... two? four? smaller bags inside the main airbag? So when you go around corners the two/four/however many smaller bags inside the main strut/bag don't allow the air to slosh around as much as a big single bag would, correct?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

something like that. i was trying to make it easy for you and i think you made it a little more complicated.

haven't you ever played with those special balloons you can blow up to make toys.... they are long and thin. when you grab one end the air transfers to the other end.

the basic idea is that a 4 way setup has 8 valves total. 2 per a bag, one to inflate and the other to deflate. by giving each bag it's own pair of valves you eliminate the common transfer of air you'll have when you build a 2 or even 1 way setup. the closer you locate this pair of valves to your bag also determines how fast it inflates, deflates.

just imagine the difference between two bags trying to share the same amount of air......this is where the boat like feel comes into play. it's all very straight forward once you get into it a bit. if each bag has it's own valves then it doesn't have to "share" its air with anyone therefore making a "stiffer" ride. all the typical suspension pieces come into play here so you'll still want larger sway bars and the other items necessary. even a 2 way setup isn't that bad but 4 way is nicer.