Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Eibach sportline vs. pro kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 camaro rs
Engine: L03
Transmission: Auto
Eibach sportline vs. pro kit

i was wondering what were some pros and cons of each kits and maybe some input from some people that have them. Also i heard that the sportline is "too much" of a drop...anybody care to comment.....
Old 10-27-2004, 10:21 PM

Car: 88 camaro
Engine: carby 350
Transmission: t-5 from v6 car
If you do a you will find a few threads on this subject complete with pics and opinions of owners.

Sorry about the smilie, I have just been wanting to use that one for a while. LOL

Oh, I have the pro-kit springs, and I like them a lot. The sportline springs give an awesome look for the car, but the pro's handle better.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

i got the sportline...just put the front 2 in today, the back 2 will go in tomorrow...the sportline is easier to get in...they are nice and short...i think they look mean lowered 1.6 inches or whatever they lower it...
Old 10-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 383 in building process
Transmission: 700r4
Originally posted by custom88camaro
Oh, I have the pro-kit springs, and I like them a lot. The sportline springs give an awesome look for the car, but the pro's handle better.
I agree. I have the Pro kit & it feels awesome The Pro kit is more geared for handling & the Sportlines is for the look. Although I have no experience with the Sportlines, many will tell you that they still handle good too! But I definetely recommend the Pro Kit if you are stuck between choosing either the Pro kit or Sportline kit if handling is what you want. The drop from the Pro kit is just secondary & very minimal. Hope this helps.

Last edited by acescarrsRS; 10-28-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

what i don't like about the prokit is that people don't notice the drop right away...with the sportline kit, people are always like wow that car is low, that looks awesome...with the pro kit you gotta point it out, then they look at it again, and say oh yea i guess it is lowered a smidgette...
Old 10-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I am in the process of installing a pro-kit now. Installation isn't bad. Right now they are in the control arm...just need to jack them up in there. They are quiet a bit shorter than the stockers which makes it easier to install them. I doubt I will see a drop...I may. My car seemed to sit way higher than most thirdgens I have seen. Even with old worn out springs. One of my stockes was broken at the top. Ball joints were toast....

Basically the front suspension was a flaming pile of crap. So I am changing it all. This is day 3. (yesterday was worthless...had to wait for parts). So day 2.

Note to all attempting a front suspension rebuild....yes you can use a ball joint press to get the control arm bushings out. But it is a pain in the ***. I smashed my control arms in slightly but the bushing still went in straight so it doesn't matter. I wish I wasn't a tightwad...I would have paid someone to do it. But hey now I still have the money for a RRA stripped AR15 lower
Old 10-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

Car: '87 Cam RS V6
Engine: Top Secret
Transmission: DYT700R4 custom inerts and conv.
Eibachs own website says the sportlines are stiffer better handling spring that the pro-kit. The prokit is just a step up from stock springs and the sportlines are for maximum handling.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:48 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 T.P.I
Transmission: T-5 (Explosive under pressure)
The Sportlines are better in handling compaired to the Pro-Kit. If you tried both on your car, you'll see what I mean. I had the Pro-kit and it was good. But when I got the Sportlines, it was even better!!!
Old 10-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

See, I should've just kept my mouth shut! lol! My statement was only based on what i read from a few dealing with the Sportlines. And if the Sportlines handle way better in your opinions then maybe I might try a set. Hmmmm...maybe I should get a set to try on my 83Z
Old 10-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I have the pro-kit and I definetly wouldn't get the sportlines. Would be way to low for my taste thats for sure. My car with the prokit is really low. I can only imagine how low the sprortlines would be.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by vsixtoy
Eibachs own website says the sportlines are stiffer better handling spring that the pro-kit. The prokit is just a step up from stock springs and the sportlines are for maximum handling.
Wrong. The eibach sportlines for our cars are actually softer than the prokit.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 25THRSS
Wrong. The eibach sportlines for our cars are actually softer than the prokit.
Here you go- tell them they are wrong, not me.

Eibach tech line-
If you need technical help -- Call us! - We are here to answer all your questions.

What you don't understand is that they are both progressive rate springs. The ratios are different on each based on ride height and suspension travel. The sportlines start off slightly less rate but progress much stiffer that the pro-kit.

Sorry oif you are offended and bought the wrong thing.

Last edited by vsixtoy; 10-31-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Eibach tech line-
If you need technical help -- Call us! - We are here to answer all your questions.
lol, I did. Might want to do a search under my name and eibach. You'll find all your answers there.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Eibach tech line-

What you don't understand is that they are both progressive rate springs. The ratios are different on each based on ride height and suspension travel. The sportlines start off slightly less rate but progress much stiffer that the pro-kit.

Sorry oif you are offended and bought the wrong thing.
lol, okey dokey
Old 10-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Banned

Why don't you just post the link yourself to your own info- wouldn't that save me the wild goose chase and make sure I see the proper post you are refering to?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Why don't you just post the link yourself to your own info- wouldn't that save me the wild goose chase and make sure I see the proper post you are refering to?
Because then I'de have to search as well, and I'm not the one who needs the info.

EDIT: Here is the thread anyways, but didn't you post in it the first time around?

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...25thrss+eibach

Last edited by 25THRSS; 10-31-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

Eibachs own site-

Pro-kit: High performance handling
http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...38465500018671

Sportline: Extreme performance
"Eibach Sportline is the extreme-performance spring set created for the extreme enthusiast—the one who craves a race-car attitude for maximum street performance"
http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...50975000018671

Says right there partner. High perf Vs Max perf.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Eibachs own site-

Pro-kit: High performance handling
http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...38465500018671

Sportline: Extreme performance
"Eibach Sportline is the extreme-performance spring set created for the extreme enthusiast—the one who craves a race-car attitude for maximum street performance"
http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...50975000018671

Says right there partner. High perf Vs Max perf.
Yeap, and it looks like you don't believe me, so go follow your own advice and contact them yourself. You could save yourself the trouble though and just take what I already researched and know as fact to be just that.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 25THRSS
EDIT: Here is the thread anyways, but didn't you post in it the first time around?

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...25thrss+eibach
That is obviously bad info on that thread becasue it plainly states on Eibach website that both their kits are progressive springs and that post has them listed as linear.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

That is obviously bad info on that thread becasue it plainly states on Eibach website that both their kits are progressive springs and that post has them listed as linear.
The fronts are linear and the rears are progressive, just like I wrote it in the link.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:39 AM
Banned

I'm back, sorry.

25th, Please don't think I am picking a fight with you. I am simply trying to find out what the facts are becasue this seems to be asked often lately about which one to go with.

Personally to me, I don't care for it myself because I am not in the market for springs. What I try to do around here is get to the facts.

Here's what doesn't add up to me-
#1 Why would Eibach post something on their website that was not true?
#2 Why would any tech give out spring rate info, any company I have ever talked to does npot reveal the "secret" rates they use. Why? because you can simply just buy them directly from a manufacturer like SSS or Hyper for less.
#3 If this is the case and they are linear, Does anyone have a photograph of an Eibach front coil so we can see that it is linear?

I tend to believe posted info on a direct vendors webpage rather than a "tech" giving info. Why again? if you have ever called a parts wherehouse in you life (we all have) you rarely ever get the correct answers to anything from the so called expert on the other end of the phone.

I am just trying to get to the hard facts for everyone. So any pics would be great.

Thanks, Dean
Old 10-31-2004, 06:36 AM
Supreme Member

Ok don't slap me if this is a stupid question, but how will the coils be arranged between linear & progressive setups? I'm assuming that progressive will have coils further apart on one side then gradually getting closer when you reach the other end. And linear will have the coils spaced the same distance from each other throughout the entire spring. Is this right? Or am I an idiot

Last edited by acescarrsRS; 10-31-2004 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Banned

That is correct. Lets say for instance that the "free" coil is 10" in length. The stiffer part may be about 7" and the softer part about 3" long. The coil wire is all the same thickness and diameter, however, there may be 5 free coils in the 7" and 3 coils in the 3" section totaling say 8 free coils.

The section with 3 coils per 3" length will be a softer rate and will compress almost fully as the larger 7" stiffer section will only compress a little. For the stiffer section to compress and ride on a stiffer rate, the softer section will completely colapse for the most part rendering the rest of the coil compression more linear at that point.

Based on the coil ratio (large gapped coils vs small gapped coils) the spring will react at different progressive rate based on design. some may start out 80/20 favoring the softer section and other may start out 60/40 favoring the softer section. Meaning the softer is using 80% of the possible compression travel in the 3" section per only 20% compression in the 7" section)

At one inch, the 80/20 may be more like 90/50 and at two inches 93/ 70 (This is purely example)

The other example could be more like 60/40, then one inch at 75/55, then two inches at 85/75.

This all depended on the disered ride height engineered into the coil and the amount of travel remaining beofre the car goes out of its acceptable geometry range rendering non-drivability due to control problems. The lower a spring compresses, the stiff it has to become to avoid going beyond desired travel and causing damage. The lower the starting ride height, the quicker the prgressive rates will climb- this is plain common sense and an unavoidable rule in any spring design for a specific application.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Cool. Thanks for all the info on that vsixtoy. I think 25THRSS is right about the fronts being linear & the rears progressive now.

Here's a pic of the front coil spring. (It's the one on the left ) This is just a comparison pic to the stock one. The coils look evenly spaced throughout the entire spring.

In this pic the rear coils are the ones toward the back. You can't really see it too good in the pic but the coils are spaced further apart on one end than the other end. The top side coils in the pic seem to be spaced further apart,(this end mounts on the rear end) & the bottom coils look closer together(the side that mounts on the body.)

Hope these pics help.

Last edited by acescarrsRS; 10-31-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:11 PM
Banned

Thank you. And to 25thrss, I do stand corrected. Your info does appear accurate and different from what their website portrays. Those are indeed linear fronts.

If there is any way you guys can give me the EXACT wire dimension Has to be very acurate with a digital caliper) and the diameter of the coils center wire to center wire, I can very closely aprox the rate to verify the 714lbs posted.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

If nobody can get those specs for you vsixtoy then I can do it later. I'm going to be taking out my control arms to get new ball joints put in & am going to be also putting in the del-a-lum bushings from Global West. Only catch is that this won't happen for another few months. But like I said, if you don't get any info on this by then, then I'll do it since the springs will be out
Old 10-31-2004, 06:29 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 T.P.I
Transmission: T-5 (Explosive under pressure)
Well, I have not gone to this degree in reseach for compairing the two kits. Buy the way, I like that you guys are tring to get facts. But I have had experience with the two. At slow, non agressive speeds the two are ruffly the same but a little stiff on the sportline side. The real difference is when you crank the wheel at higher speeds and sudden dramatic turns. In terms of handling (and looks IMO) alone, the Sportlines are stiffer. Keep in mind, this is comming from my experience. Also, my friend has a 2001 Mustang GT and he will agree as well. He had the Prokit, then got the Sportlines. Take this for what it is worth. Good Luck with your research.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the input
Old 10-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Here's what doesn't add up to me-
#1 Why would Eibach post something on their website that was not true?
#2 Why would any tech give out spring rate info, any company I have ever talked to does npot reveal the "secret" rates they use. Why? because you can simply just buy them directly from a manufacturer like SSS or Hyper for less.
#3 If this is the case and they are linear, Does anyone have a photograph of an Eibach front coil so we can see that it is linear?
I posted the linked thread to dispell all myths and get the truth out so people would know which to choose. I thought it worked, but I guess not. #1, because it's a general statement for the springs they offer for all makes and models, not not necessarily true for 100% of all applications, #2, You are correct, The first couple times I called I was told they didn't give out that info, but I was persistant, and was able to talk to the right person who gave me the correct info, #3 has already been answered.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:59 AM

Car: 82 Ponitac Firebird
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60e/TCI TCU
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Hi everyone,
I know I should start a new thread but.
My Firebird did not come with a rear sway bar.
I have the Pro-Kit on my 82 bird. Does anyone know what sway bars front and rear would be a perfect match for the Pro-Kit.

I would like to maintain a touring ride!

Thanks