Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Got a very harsh ride problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:56 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
Got a very harsh ride problem.

Living in Michigan kind of takes the pleasure out of driving my IROCZ. The roads are very bumping and many are made out of concrete which begins to break up with the overloaded gravel trucks here.

Check the sig below, please. I installed 1" lowering springs about 7 years ago while in smooth Ohio. Now I cant stand my car!

What type of V8 engine Camaro should I get suspension springs from and what aftermarket front struts and rear shocks can I install for a better ride?

Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The IROC/Z-28 springs will restore your ride heigth and soften it a bit. I would start there and see how much "softer" you want to make it then. I wouldn't reccomend KYB's if you want a softer ride, and Monroe's are too soft. Maybe see if you can get a hold of some stock (junkyard) rear GM Blistien's and just stock replacement front struts for a Z-28.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Lower your tire pressure a bit, too.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Morley, thanks for the reply.

I left out of my sig the fact that I also have weld-on subframes. Along with the lowering springs, the suspension is way to hard for SE Michigan. I was thinking of installing springs from the 1990 to 1992 RS V8 car. I figure that with the subframes, the ride of an RS suspension would be best for me.

As for the struts and shocks, I was thinking about an adjustable set, but I dont know much in this area. I dont want to install used/old shocks and struts, I strongly prefer something new. Who makes replacement shocks and struts for the RS V8 car either adjustable or not?

Tire pressures are set at 30psi front and 26psi rear. This is as low as a care to go on tire pressures I will continue to run 16" wheels and 50 series tires, P245/50R16.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
you have a third gen with aftermarket suspension and you're complaining about ride quality?

In any case, if you want something for that smooth of a ride, pick up some Gabriel shocks/struts from the local Autozone or something. They are pretty soft but work decently. As for springs, sure get the RS springs. Just don't expect to be carving corners any time soon.

Oh, and if you'd like to part with your current springs, I may be interested Give me a PM with some more details.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Are you still running the OEM struts/shocks? How about bushings? Those two things will make a world of difference as far as ride quality.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by doc
As for the struts and shocks, I was thinking about an adjustable set, but I dont know much in this area. I dont want to install used/old shocks and struts, I strongly prefer something new. Who makes replacement shocks and struts for the RS V8 car either adjustable or not?
You probably have more in there than even that....solid trailing arms? Solid panhard rod? While these are great upgrades they will also stiffen your ride.

I didn't mean to get used struts, just the rear shocks, they never wear out it seems.
Rs springs may be alright, but with your current suspension mods, minus the springs you have, they may not soften it up enough, maybe air shocks running low pressure? Dunno I've never really ever tried to soften a car's ride.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
pick up some Gabriel shocks/struts from the local Autozone or something
I recomend against this option. I have the ws6 suspension and gabriel struts/shocks.. my car still rides very rough... which I don't mind... but point being, the Gabrials suck.

The first set went in a month... the free warranty replacemnets are still working while I save for Bilsteins.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
doc
Supreme Member

Morley, you are a very smart guy. I do have retangular LCAs on the car, but still have the OEM panhard bar. The front struts and rear shocks are still the factory units. Also, the front and rear antiroll (sway) bars are the factory units. In this current configuration, the car corners like its on rails. I have had the car out on Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio several times, what a thrill. But I got to soften it for SE Michigan broken up concrete.

OK, Bilsteins for the rear shocks and AutoZone front struts with springs from an '91/'92 RS. I should not get a bunch of body lean in the corners because of the factory sway bars are pretty stout.
Along with the weld-on subframes, the car should handle OK for me.

BTW: whats wrong with adjustable KYBs?

And does someone make adjustable frong struts, everything I see are adjustable shocks.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by doc
BTW: whats wrong with adjustable KYBs?
The KYB "gas adjust" shocks are STIFF...as in I push down on my rear and it deflects 1" max, let off and it comes up, no bounce what so ever. I also have the solid panhard rod and LCA's, and with the KYB's the car hugs the road like it is glued to it. That is my 85 IROC.
The 91 Formula with the WS6 suspension will deflect a good 2" when pushed down, and when released it will bounce once. That car handles ok but compared to the IROC it "wallows" through the corners. It rides smooth but not caddy smooth, the IROC rides stiffer than a 'Vette.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I think the harsh ride is due to the dampeners. If its still the factory units they are probably dead by now (12+ years old). Any brand dampeners (soft or stiff) will make the ride better than it currently is. You can test these parts before buying to make sure they are bad (will require some tools, jackstands, and a floorjack). If your bushings are also still the factory pieces then you might want to change those out as well. You can visually inspect and feel those to test before buying as well (floorjack and jackstands). Uneven road conditions will pronounce the effects of bad bushings and dead dampeners.