Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Heat affecting brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: Manual
Heat affecting brakes?

Well I havn't posted on here for a while and apparently my old account doesn't work anymore. oh well... To the problem.

Whenever I park my car at the mall while I'm at work, after work the brakes arnt nowhere near as responsive as they should be. In the morning when its cooler and in the evening when its cooler they work fine, so I'm suspecting its the good old summer heat messing with my car. Has anyone had this problem before?

One of my friends said it might be an air bubble in the lines but my other friend said that the brake fluid might just be getting really old n funky. Now before I start going through all this I was just wondering if anyone else could give me a more confident answer than me friends. Thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
Re: Heat affecting brakes?

Originally posted by WhiteKnight
Well I havn't posted on here for a while and apparently my old account doesn't work anymore. oh well... To the problem.

Whenever I park my car at the mall while I'm at work, after work the brakes arnt nowhere near as responsive as they should be. In the morning when its cooler and in the evening when its cooler they work fine, so I'm suspecting its the good old summer heat messing with my car. Has anyone had this problem before?

One of my friends said it might be an air bubble in the lines but my other friend said that the brake fluid might just be getting really old n funky. Now before I start going through all this I was just wondering if anyone else could give me a more confident answer than me friends. Thanks
might be time to bleed the brakes.
when the brake fluid gets old it absorbs moister in the lines which will lower the boiling point of the fluid
when the fluid starts to boil it releases air and as we all know gas compresses and gives you that spongy feel

also with brakes if your pads are old they get thin and are more prone to heat up which with organic pads they sometimes release gas on their own.

or could could all be in your head :-p
Old 08-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Banned

Car: '87 Cam RS V6
Engine: Top Secret
Transmission: DYT700R4 custom inerts and conv.
Let me throw a wrench into the loop. RX mentioned it could be in you head (Kinda just jokingly) but this accutally is true in many cases as a result of something else.

Drive a car with cold whether and gas/nitrogen charged shocks feel stiffer. When the whether heats up, the car will feel more spongy thus resulting in more brake dive and rear to front weight transfer. A suspension will always feel firmer when cold. The slight phenominum could be what you are feeling? Maybe? just a brain fart.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:39 AM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: Manual
hehe, no its not in my head... its only just done in the last week...
my pads should still be fine, changed the pads last summer but had the car away all winter so they only have 3 months of use tops. We were gonna bleed the lines anyways. Hopefully that will do it. Thanks