Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

What is the skinniest rim/tire? Also...LCA/TA stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
What is the skinniest rim/tire? Also...LCA/TA stuff

Hey guys, I'm just trying to think about winter (yes, already I'm thinking about it) because I'm trying to figure out where to budget my money on my car. For this summer, I plan...

-LT1 intake conversion w/ new induction
-SFCs
-3" SLP cat-back

Other stuff too I'm sure, but anyways to the point of the topic. I want to be able to make this car decently driveable for the winter seeing as it is my daily driver and I live in the Chicago area. I want to use like 195 or 205 winter tires for the winter. What size rim will I need to make this work? Would a 7" rim allow me to put something like a 205 or even a 195 on? I'd just look for a cheap set of crappy curb-rashed 15x7 rims and be done with it.

Also, as for getting more power to the ground...everyone says that LCA's and reloc bracket help stop wheelspin, which I assume is done by holding the rear together better and thus putting more pressure on the tires to stick better. As it is right now, my tires spin if I launch from even 1500RPM, and if I just punch it from a dead stop, my tires will spin for a very tiny bit. I'm more worried about the winter time than how my tires spin a little bit right now, but it sounds like LCAs and reloc brackets would stop my wheelspin and should allow my tires to grip a bit better in the winter, especially really skinny tires.

Also, would an aftermarket torque arm help winter traction at all?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Winter traction. Hah.

My first thirdgen was an 88 Formula 350. It was a TPI car, and wasn't in too bad of shape for a michigan car. The worst part about it was the strut towers, which were rotted.

I hit a patch of ice and took it into a curb at about 10 mph and bent the frame. I could have repaired it for enough cash, but I got rid of it.

My new thirdgen is a 90 Formula with a 305TBI, and is in really good shape. I would not dream of driving it in snow or ice.

There is no suspension mod that will make these cars drive good in the snow. The only thing that would help is snow tires.

I decided to buy a winter beater for $500, and have since bought one every year.

$500 beater is cheaper then a bent frame, or a smashed up car. Especially if you really like your car.

Eventually I moved on and bought a big K5 with 4x4... but I'm in michigan...and this big k5 is a lemon that takes away from my formulas $$...

Moral of the story... DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THE WINTER IF YOU LIKE IT.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
Yeah...I have considered doing that actually. I don't know how much it'd set me back to store my car for a few months somewhere though.