Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

replacing 87 v6 brake system.. not f%$#@*g fun.. seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing 87 v6 brake system.. not f%$#@*g fun.. seriously.

wussup ppl...

omfg... this car... pain in the ***.. if u have a 3rd gen with original brakes... have fun.. major pain in the ***, just about every damn bolt was welded on, and every clamp was rusted nasty.

heres the deal..

i replaced the following with all brand new parts, no re-builds or juk yard parts:

front..
rotors
calipers
pads
hoses
hard lines
all clamps, bolts, nuts etc.. all brand new

rear..
all new outter drum housing
shoes
e-brake arm/springs
rear hard brake liine
wheel cylenders
all shoe springs were replaced.

so far since i work all day and when i get home theres no light, the whole system is done... except
i broke a piece off of one of the rear wheel cylenders... got the new one didnt fix yet..
som1 else did a brake bleed or somthing, bothrear lines fittings are stripped
waiting on new lines now.
on the front one of the hoses came to me with a broken end... didnt realize till after i put it on... brake fluid all over..
everything else went in with some frustration... hopefully will be dont soon... i should take a pic of the rotor... reeeally bad worn down to the inside grooves =\

anyways, any1 else need alil brake help... lemme kno.. its not fun.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1995 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 6 spd Manual
Axle/Gears: Dana 44, 3:45:1
Yeah, I hate that.. When I bought my GTA the brakes were in pretty bad shape.. I don't see how people can drive them to the point of wearing the rotors that bad.. Maybe they think that brakes are inrepairable and they drive the car till it won't stop then sell it... Some people...
Old 02-13-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see the thing i cant stress enough is ive learned a few things about these older camaros, especially this one needing so much help..

if u have a 82-92 camaro and the car pulls to one side when u brake....

REPLACE THE FRONT BRAKE HOSES.. 20 BUCKS EA.

the hoses went bad on this car, i just neglected to replace them sooner... the problem was the drivers side front brake hose... it was almost completly clogged n worn... since that wasnt replaced in time, when i got the car it was reeeally bad. to the point where the drvr side rotor wore down more than 50% faster than the passenger side... on top of it the left caliper went bad because of the hose..

so what did we learn today class... drive around on bad brake hoses... spend alot of money later on.

if u have a 82-92 camaro with origianal front brake hoses.... get them off of there... odds are 13 yrs of stop and go and there gone... save urselves the trouble.

just wanted to fyi ppl
thanks
joe
Attached Thumbnails replacing 87 v6 brake system.. not f%$#@*g fun.. seriously.-prmercamaro.jpg  
Old 02-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1995 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 6 spd Manual
Axle/Gears: Dana 44, 3:45:1
I can second the brake hoses thing.. The passenger side brake hose was gone to the point that when I took the end off of the caliper, and had my assistant press down on the brake pedal (and hard too), NOTHING came out.. It wouldn't let ANY fluid through with the hose disconnected from the caliper... Talk about a severe pull to the left!! Someone had already tried to just put new pads on the front (previous owner) with the drivers side rotor fragged.. It was like making a left turn at an intersection when you stomped on the brake.. Hoses, calipers, rotors and pads later, it stops like new again!! (straight even!!)