Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Interesting wheel hop information

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004 | 04:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Interesting wheel hop information

I posted a little while ago about my massive wheelhop problems.

I was just looking around and found an article on hotrod.com about it that made an interesting point.

Up until now i thought that having my lca's in the bottom hole of my lca relocation brackets was a good idea. They say that on launch your lcas should be about level with the ground though. My car is not lowered and actually sits kind of high i just went out and my lcas are really angled downward to the rear axle.

I guess I was thinking about the instant center business too much and didnt think of what would actually happen with a situation like this.

I thought about it for a minute and came up with an idea of what might be going on.

Ill bet that when I launch, that initial hit i feel that is brutal is the axle pushing itself downward under the car trying to make an arc around the front bolt of the LCA thus caushing a major jolt of the axle downward and car upward, causing a hop that simply repeats itself over and over again.
Im going to move them to a higher hole tomorrow morning and see if I am right. Opinions would be welcome though

As a test i really cranked up the air in my airbags tonight to see if it made any difference... it basically made no difference.

Track opens at 11 tomorrow maybe I can fix this once and for all and post some 13.2s hehe
Old 01-19-2004 | 08:04 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Are you running slicks first and foremost, I had terrible wheel hop on the street with the radials, but when I aired my tires down to 18psi at the track and roasted the heck out of 'em I'd hook. I'm curious as to what you found out, but would still recommend slicks.
I actually noticed no difference when I installed my relocation brackets with my 60's so I'm not really for or against them, if it was a street car it seems they may help once you have a way to adjust pinion angle since it'll change your IC for the better.
We're currently going over this problem on a buddies 78 BBC malibu, all last season you could'nt hook up with his 10.5" tire and he is running the SSM bars which basically puts the LCA in the same spot as our relocation brackets. We have many pictures of him crushing the tires almost to the rims, then it unloads. His situation is different with the factory "4 link" set-up and we've tried all season to get the factory LCA back on his car, but he's dead set that the SSM bars are not the problem since "other people run them" even though everybody at the track running them was a sbc car. Anyways, with his increased angle of the LCA his IC is putting waay to hit in the tires at launch for a short amount of time, I'm dead set that if he'd install the stock ones back in the original location it'd move the IC and place the strain back into the chasis so it will carry the load further down the strip and not have the unloading problems he's currently having.
Old 01-19-2004 | 11:48 PM
Supreme Member

I think you are right about your friend IHI

I am running drag radials.

In my case, I raised the LCAS and tried about a 1000 different thigns at the track and the wheelhop was still prevalent. THe only thing that even slightly reduced it was airing down my airbags but all that did was allow wayyy too much rear end squat and I would spin almost all through second gear when i hit the shift.

I have come to the conclusion that what has been suggested to me numerous times might be the case, that i need better shocks. Im running cheapo parts store gabriel shocks that are a few years old.

What I think is happening is that the weak shocks are allowing too much body seperation initially and then just letting the rear bounce up and down on the airbags. This is what i hope is happening anyways becase that is the only thing left that it could be

I have the C.E. 3 way adjustable rear shocks on the way for this purpose.

I am still contemplating getting the matching shocks for the front along with some moroso trick springs but Im still gathering opinions on how much of a bear it will be to deal with on the street. The car is not a daily driver though.. only on the weekends its driven. I was all set to get them then i saw 200 inch lbs rating on those springs and that seemed rediculously low
Old 01-19-2004 | 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

about your friend.. from what ive read in the past few days, if its slamming the tires down (getting body seperation) it seems like youd want a shock with more extensional stiffness to sort of pad that initial shock, or you could lower the rear of the car or raise the rear of the lca

Seems like from what Ive read shocks play a larger role than i thought. I dont know if thats right though.. we'll see what happens next saturday when my parts are in