Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Looking into buying the Ground Control Weight Jack System and need help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Looking into buying the Ground Control Weight Jack System and need help?

I am currently getting parts together to redo my suspension and have been reading alot about different springs for lowering our cars. I was looking at alot of the pictures and noticed that most of the replacement springs seem to vary from car to car. Sometimes eibach prokit springs seem to lower more than sportlines, and nothing seems to be a given with these set-ups. However, I have read about every post on the ground control weight jack system and have decided I would like to get the non-weldin version for my car. I like the thought of having the ability to adjust the height at all four corners, which should allow me to get the exact drop I'm looking for, and make it level all around. However, I am not sure what spring rates and lengths I should get to allow for a firm ride, ride height adjustment from stock to a 2.5" drop, and still maintain a well mannered street car. Like I said I have read most of the posts and was wondering if 9.5" springs with spring rates of 700-750 front and 200 rear would be good choices. According, to other peoples posts 850 would probably be too much, but the Moog replacements are rated at 650. As for the rear I have no clue, so any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 406
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42s
I'm running the GC setup. Specs are in my sig(mind you my rear rate is quite soft... changing to 225#). For a daily carver I'd recommend not going stiffer than 750/225 front/rear but also be careful with dampener selection as this contributes to ride quality(performance/comfort) just as much. The 9.5" spring will allow you to put the car to the ground or raise it up to stock height easily.

You'll also need an adjustable panhard bar and lower control arm relocation brackets at least to maintain proper rear geometry. An adjustable torque arm is also suggested.

Also once you lower your car your toe will be drastically out. You can set it yourself easily enough to get you to an alignment shop after for precision setting.

There are pictures on my website(url in profile) of what it looks like installed.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:50 AM

Nice car and I like the stance. I thought that something under 200 for the rear would be too soft after reading everyone elses previous posts, including yours. I am already going to get the adjustable pan-hard rod, lower control arms, and relocation brackets. I am also looking at getting the baer bump steer kit, or some other adjustable tie rods. I am also looking into some aftermarket strut mounts, and kind of like the polished aluminum ones that spohn is selling, I am just wondering how much more adjustment they will give me. I won't have to worry about the alignment, since I will be installing everything at my uncles garage, so he will do it right then. Thanks for all of the info so far. Do you have any recommendations on dampeners that would make my car a capable handler without rattling it apart, along with my teeth in the process?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:43 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 406
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42s
I keep pondering ordering the Baer bumpsteer kit also. I dont actually have a significant bumpsteer problem but the car does seem to have more ackerman than I care for(not sure of the culprit as I have 2" drop spindles also). Wondering if the baer kit may cure it slightly.

Alloy/Spohn's upper strut mounts would be a good idea. I'd like to eventually get them also but Im thinking of just getting camber/caster plates instead from GC. I think Alloy/Spohn's mount gives an extra inch of travel?

For dampeners and from what I've read and heard here's an ordered list from soft street to hardcore racing:

Daily Driver:

Monroe
KYB
Tokico HP

Street/Racing:

KYB AGX(adjustable)
Tokico Illumina 5(adjustable)
Koni Special

Racing:

Bilstein HD
Koni Sport(adjustable)
Bilstein custom
Koni custom(adjustable)
QA1(Hal)(adjustable)

Hardcore Racing:

Pro
Advance
Carrera
Afco

Basically the more hardcore you go the stiffer your ride will be. If you don't plan on doing any road course racing I'd suggest something from the Street/Racing category.

An adjustable shock might also be a good choice if you don't mind getting under the car to play.

Last edited by RegaPlanet; 12-04-2003 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
also remeber that as your spring rate goes up, the dampening you need is greater, while KYB's may be enough for most people with factory springs, they are not going to hold up to a 800#+ spring, you will need something with alot more dampening force.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LC9
Transmission: AR5
You might want to call my friend Sam at Strano Performance Parts (Sam has a '91 1LE among other toys ... and he lurks here occasionally). He won't sell you **** you don't need. Call 800-729-1831 ... ask for Sam Jr.

I got my Ground Control kit from him, and the Bilsteins on my Firebird were valved by him (before I bought the car). He also helped set up numerous F Bodies.

Pat
'90 Formula, GC kit with 650/150 F/R springs
Old 12-05-2003, 06:43 AM

Thanks alot for all of the help everyone. I almost have the funds saved up and will call around to find out more about exactly what I should get in a little while. This gives me a good starting point and range to find out exactly what I will need to fit my needs.