Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

A few comments on (almost) complete suspension rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2007 Volvo S60R, 2005 Audi A4
Engine: 300HP 2.5L I5, 200HP 2.0L I4
Transmission: TF-80SC, Getrag 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.33:1, 3.54:1
A few comments on (almost) complete suspension rebuild...

This is on a 1991 WS6 Trans Am convertible.

New parts added are: KYB GR2 shocks and struts, MOOG 5662 front & CC635 rear springs, black energy suspension poly front control arm bushings, poly endlinks, inner and outer tie rods, center link, pitman arm, balljoints, added wonderbar. Eventually will get around to front and rear swaybar mounts, rear endlinks and bushings, and boxing stock LCA/panhard/TQ arm.

My comments:

I cut off half a coil in the front--shouldn't have done that. I am considering (arrgh) changing them to uncut ones or getting taller isolators. The fender lip is still 1-2" over the tire, but its a bit lower than stock--which for this car I don't like. I love the tight feel of the front suspension, its just a bit too low for my tastes.

The CC635's are exactly stock height on my car. trouble is--the soft part of the progressive coil is TOO SOFT! It "bobbles" a bit sometimes. I could cut a bit and use taller isolators, but I'd rather not take such 'band-aid' measures.

I like the shocks alot. All I can compare them with are worn factory stuff and monroes (<==too soft).

Bottom line, I want to raise up the front back to stock, and firm up the rear springs.

Otherwise, it handles like a dream; can't wait to get new tires/alignment.

Comments appreciated.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:02 PM

You probably want to test your uper strut mount for any bearing wear. If you get alot of resistance on the steering wheel and cant move the font wheels side to side with them up in the air than your bearing is roasted. It should make a fairly audible noices when turing too.

It is the perfect time to replace them with the over haul you are doing.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:53 AM

The car is done; what I meant by almost complete is that there are a few things I didn't replace--including the upper strut mount. I did check it though and it feels fine.

My only beef with the parts used is that the progressive CC635 rear springs are too soft in their first inch or two of travel, and my only mistake was cutting half a coil off the front springs--the front is slightly too low for me lookswise (For this particular car I prefer stock ride height).

One thing I also forgot to mention is that its not because convertibles are heavier, that is a myth (at least with the ASC jobs). Any difference is insignificant--the only "extra reinforcement" convertibles have are 0.080" thick sheet steel rocker boxes added on behind the ground effects (well, there are a couple small pieces welded in in the structure behind the doors but they don't amount to much weightwise). this, plus the convertible top, tonneau, trunklid, & other little bits cannot weigh more than the metal top and hatch glass (the glass is REALLY HEAVY). Also, all of the magazine tests I've seen coupe/convertible weights are comparable.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:32 PM

Well, I decided to splurge the whole $37.99 for another pair of MOOG 5662's since I realized I like the stock height best. Boy, that extra 1/2 coil makes it a biatch to put in. I have an internal spring compressor, and I ended up making it work by cutting about an inch and a half off the end of the screw, and using about two inches worth of washers to space out the jaw from the screw head. I did this because I all the cars that need these that I worked on, same problem--screw is too long. It still takes a bit of doing, but worked like a charm. I liked this way better than unbolting the control arm, since I didn't like the idea of balancing a compressed spring over a jack, while prying/trying to line up the bushing holes with the crossmember. Anywho, can't wait to get it done. Again.