Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

K-Member Remove/Replace Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003 | 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
K-Member Remove/Replace Tips?

I'm going to be removing my K-Member this weekend so I can swap in my new tubular unit Do any of you guys that have done this before have any tips that could make my life easier?
Old 05-21-2003 | 03:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Well, let's see...here's what I did when I replaced mine-

Obviously the whole front suspension needs to be removed. If you've never done it before, I won't go into detail but you can find all the info you need by searching here and with a manual. If you have done it, then you're already halfway there.

I didn't have a cherry picker to support the motor, but you can get away buy supporting the motor with a jack placed under the balancer. Place jackstands under the subframes just behind the front suspension.

The stock K member is HEAVY, so it's advisable to have another person help you remove the K member. Once you have the whole front suspension and all 6 K member mount bolts removed, don't just it drop. There are several brake line clamps that are screwed into the K member. The oil pan is in the way of these clamps, so drop the K member just enough to gain access to these clamps and remove them. Be extra careful not to bend or kink the brake lines when removing or installing the K member.

Depending on what K member you have, you might need to get shorter mount bolts. On my PA unit that's what I had to do. I got some grade 8 metric bolts at NAPA.

If your front suspension needs a rebuild now is the time to do it. Also get new motor mounts if you need them. I did both of mine at the same time so I won't have to worry about them for awhile.

Again watch those brake lines when putting in the new one. Have a buddy watch those lines again when you're putting it in.

That's all I can think of right now...it's pretty easy to do. If I can think of something else I'll let you know...HTHs.
Old 05-21-2003 | 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
I'm going to have it way easier than you since the motor is out of the car. I was planning on just removing the swaybar, outer tie rod ends, unbolting the struts, then just lowering the thing outa there. I'm thinking about running all new brake lines, but I'm not sure about that yet. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-21-2003 | 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Scott, you don't need to run new lines. I think we can work with the factory stuff.

Mike