Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

springs: not lowered/smooth ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003 | 01:30 PM

Car: Black 91Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 (from factory T5)
springs: not lowered/smooth ride

So i've installed the popular KYB shocks and struts last month and i'm looking for a good set of springs to match. I went through 50+ threads on the subject and just ended up dizzy. Here's what i'm looking for:

I've got a 91Z, 305 w/100k miles on it. It still has the stock springs in it and it's just too stiff - I don't like feeling every bump. I've read about how great the Eibach Prokit springs are but i don't want my car lowered (i don't believe the stock ones are sagging and still i scrape the bottom of the car ALL OVER southern California, that plus with all the other things you need to compensate for the lowering makes it all just not worth it in my case - right??).
I'd gladly sacrifice totally killer cornering for a setup with decent sports cornering and a smoother ride as this is a daily driver.
Which quality springs am i looking for?

thanks much!
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:34 PM

anyone?
Old 04-04-2003 | 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Trade it for a different car Seriously though, if you think a stock 91Z handles too rough the fix is going to be getting a set of V6 springs and sway bars and generic 'stock' type shocks and struts. Your handling will suffer greatly. You aren't going to get much response on this board for what you ask, because the majority of people here do the opposite--sacrifice smooth ride for better handling. I would also like to add that when my car had the OEM v6 springs it still didn't ride smooth. My wifes 95 cutlass SL...it rides smooth. It would take a lot of work to get that cutlass to handle as good as my 82 camaro. The opposite is also true--making my camaro ride as smooth as the cutlass would take a lot of work. Why? It's how the cars were designed.
Old 04-04-2003 | 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
actualy with the prokit and good shocks, you may get a better ride.

the rear springs on the pro-kit ar progressive, so the when driving around town, they actualy have a low spring rate, but when you push them, and compress the spring more the rate increases.

also, you said your stock springs are sagin, so a 1" drop may not lower at all. and the sagging stock springs, tent to allow alot of travel, which the pro-kit should elemnate, so you also may not bottom out as much.

but do notice i said MIGHT. the change is going to depend on the springs you have and what shape they are in. but like the above poster said, your camaro will probbaly never handle like a caddie, it wasn't designed to be a luxery car, it is a sports car, and sports cars tend to have stiffer suspensions, that is why they tend to handle better.
Old 04-04-2003 | 12:24 PM

Thanks for the replies
Maybe i should restate, i'm not quite expecting a Cady feel on the car but as smooth as possible when you coasting down the road and then performance around the corners. I have no intention of downgrading the suspension. The progressively wound coil seems like the way to go (Dewey- the pro-kit are progressive in the rear only -?). I don't believe the stock springs are sagging much/if at all, and i've never bottomed the suspension out.

Does anyone know of a good progressive spring that retains the stock height?

BTW (i'm still on the fence about lowering here), is it really worth all the extra parts and labor (of compensating for the lower stance) just to have the center of gravity 1" lower? Or is it mainly about the look that people choose to lower their cars?
Old 04-04-2003 | 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
well off the top of my head, i can't think of any that have progessive front springs, IIRC the B+G springs on spohns website, in the picture for them looks like a progressive front spring, but you would need to contact spohn to find that info out, and to find out how stiff they are. but i think (this is from memory of course) they lowered about the same as the pro-kit (around 1")

EDIT: on a side note...since you have a Z, you have stiffer springs that lower model cars, if push comes to shove, and you feel that you would rather loose handling and have a softer ride, you could install springs from an RS or a lower model car that has softer springs.

Last edited by Dewey316; 04-04-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2003 | 09:48 PM

Car: 92 Trans Am - Sold
My 92 has the F41 susp. It has a good ride for a daily driver. Firm but doesn't rattle your teeth. The Monroe's I got in the front are too soft though, the KYB's would have been a better choice I think. Did you feel the ride was too stiff before the KYB's? What susp. (code) do you have now? If not F41, PM me if you're coming towards OC you can check out my ride and maybe consider a swap, I wouldn't mind a little stiffer spring in the front.
Old 04-09-2003 | 12:53 PM

My 91Z has the FE2 suspension, which i believe is softer than the F41. I did some measurements this morning and as i thought the stock springs aren't sagging one bit. The ride was a bit more firm before i put the KYB's in but the main reason i put them in is because the old ones were dried up and squeaking.
I've read even more on this subject and am more confused than ever on what to go with. LA has bumps every 2 feet on most side streets, I think it would be a mistake to have a stiff suspension on a daily driver here (or lower the car with all of the driveways and speedbumps). I can't believe that there isn't a progressive kit out there that retains the stock height (is a one inch drop really going to make a noticeable difference in handeling anyways?)..

BTW, 82Camaro - how do the stock luxury sports cars like porshe, bmw, etc., manage to have great cornering and handeling but without the rough ride that you suggest goes along with performance? Or is it just the price thing..