Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Adjustable LCA's vs. NON adj. LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 TA vert
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Adjustable LCA's vs. NON adj. LCA's

I'm going to do the LCA's and the relocation brackets but i dont know who i can have weld the brackets and also what is the advantage with the adj. what would it do if i extended vs. extracted...?
Old 01-26-2003, 08:37 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're doing brackets and adjustable control arms you'd sort of being getting and paying for the same thing twice. the brackets allow you relocate the atachment point, and thus change the pinion angle. adjustable control ams would allow you to change the pinion angle to anything you wanted and as often as you wanted. i might be over looking something but i don't see a reason to do both.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:12 AM

Car: 91 TA vert
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
so i would be better off doing the adjustable LCA's then because i won't have to get anything welded and it is adjustable...do they come with instructions as to being user friendly, iv'e never done more then adjust my shocks and struts...
Old 01-26-2003, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Best thing to do in most cases is to simply weld the LCA lowering brackets on correctly, and use stock-length LCAs. Adjustable ones are for fine-tuning a race suspension, not necessary for anything at all on a street car.

Welding the brackets is a no-brainer, a frame shop would be my choice to do it. But a muffler shop could probably handle it if the operator has a clue.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i would just get the brackets, and aftermarket lca's (non-adjustable).

http://www.spohn.net/index.cfm?fusea...t&productid=11

http://www.spohn.net/index.cfm?fusea...ct&productid=7
Old 01-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Originally posted by ede
if you're doing brackets and adjustable control arms you'd sort of being getting and paying for the same thing twice. the brackets allow you relocate the atachment point, and thus change the pinion angle. adjustable control ams would allow you to change the pinion angle to anything you wanted and as often as you wanted. i might be over looking something but i don't see a reason to do both.
LCA relocation brackets shouldn't change the pinion angle. They simply put the mount lower(the axle remains in the exact same position). The advantage is the 'pushing' from the rear axle on acceration will force the tires into the pavement, instead of lifting. Adjustable LCA's lengthen and shorten the LCA. The brackets have no effect on the length of the control arm. IMO, the brackets are more important, expecially if you have a lowered car.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
Yea the brackets just help with the geometry of the rear supsension. Allowing the control arms to push the rear end down more. On a lowered car the control arms sometimes point upwards. And when you accelerate hard the control arms atcually try to lift the rear end. Causes stupid amounts of wheel hop and other problems. The Brackets can set it back to normal or even lower to further increase traction.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: A Camaro
Engine: Weak
Transmission: Weaker
Relocators modify your suspension so that the force is directed down to the ground rather than up. If you were to simply adjust the LCA's, I'd assume the pinion angle would go nuts.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:04 PM

Car: Formula
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: 700R-4
If you extend an imaginary line off the end of the LCA's towards the front of the car it should extend to a point inside the car. If your car is lowered that line is pointing outside of the car (namely, to the ground) which actually decreases traction during hard acceleration. The relocation bracet relocates the original mouning point for the LCA's, on the axle, down a few inches so that the line we talked about earlier extends into the car again. Which, as was stated before, actually "pushes" the tires harder into the ground thus creating more traction. I have no clue as to what the purpose of an adjustable LCA is for. Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2003, 10:11 PM

Car: 87 IROC Z-28
Engine: 406-Mini Ram-AFR 195's-DFI Gen 6.32
Transmission: 700-R4 w/Art Carr converter
Axle/Gears: 9" - 31 spline - 3:89
Adjustable LCA's allow you to center the tire in the wheel well opening. The rear end can be moved to the front or to the rear of the car as to a adjustable pan hard rod will allow you to move the rear end from side to side. In the case that one tire is close to the wheel well housing you can even the space or center the rear end. A adjustable torque arm will allow pinion angle alteration. As for the relocators what people before me have said about lowered cars and better bit is a fact.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by 406-Z
Adjustable LCA's allow you to center the tire in the wheel well opening. The rear end can be moved to the front or to the rear of the car as to a adjustable pan hard rod will allow you to move the rear end from side to side. In the case that one tire is close to the wheel well housing you can even the space or center the rear end. A adjustable torque arm will allow pinion angle alteration. As for the relocators what people before me have said about lowered cars and better bit is a fact.
That's exactly why I purchased Spohn adjustable LCAs. My LS1 rear sits towards the rear of the wheelwell about 1 - 1.5". Both sides are like that and the passenger side seems to be a bit further back than the dirver's side. I haven't adjusted them as some people say they are only for changing pinion angle. My pinion angle was set when the LS1 rear was installed, so I don't want to mess it up by adjusting the wrong parts!

I have full suspension mods - relocation brackets, adjustable LCAs, adjustable torque arm, adjustable panhard bar...How should I go about moving the rear end forward about 1.5"? I just removed the DS and noticed that the front yoke had about the same amount of clearance to move forward into the trans (lots of the yoke showing). Is it as simple as adjusting the LCAs to the required positions? This won't change pinion angle? Help
Old 02-13-2003, 01:22 AM
Banned

Car: '87 Chev
Engine: 60*V6
Transmission: DY T700
Everybody please, this is really simple. LCA's will NOT in anyway affect or change pinion angle.

Two things that WILL change pinion angle-
1) raising or lower the vehicle's rear ride height- this is of course achieved by changing or cutting rear springs
2) Installing an aftermarket toque-arm equipped with the provisions for making pinion adjustments.

Adj LCA's are strickly for 4 wheel alignment and centering the tire in the wheel well like someone else correctly stated above.

Hope this clears things up for everyone.