Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

3 G's

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Formula
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: 700R-4
3 G's

I want to set my car up for autox and I was just wondering if there is anybody that knows if you can get a third gen to do 3 G's or more...granted it is a rather high number given the weight of a firebird/ camaro but I think that if formula one racers can get 7 to 8 g's in the corners, them a modified factory car should be able to pull at least 3 (with the right parts of corse). Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Banned

Re: 3 G's

Originally posted by 87daddyformula
I want to set my car up for autox and I was just wondering if there is anybody that knows if you can get a third gen to do 3 G's or more...granted it is a rather high number given the weight of a firebird/ camaro but I think that if formula one racers can get 7 to 8 g's in the corners, them a modified factory car should be able to pull at least 3 (with the right parts of corse). Any input would be appreciated.
Not in this life time- Your lucky to obtain 1.2 or 1.3G's.

Just to let you know- a lightweight fomula ford openwheel car pulls 1.2 g's

I'd like to see were you read an F1 car pulls 8G's- I thought they only did 3-4G range. Most people blackout above 7G's
Old 01-19-2003, 10:33 PM

I found a sight a while back that a guy has created about his own car and all he had done to it was a LCA and an adjustable panhard bar...stock WS6 sway bars and springs...also energy bushings and koni adjustables. He pulled a 1.27 on a recent track day and has the computer data to prove it. I just think that with enough imagination these cars can do a whole lot more than even we give them credit for...as for the F1 racers, I might have been misinformed. I don't have the link to the sight anymore but the guys name was dan and he had an 84 TA
Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87daddyformula

It's very easy to get 8 plus g's my last 7 or 8 cars all did it with ease. All you have to do is go about 145 mph and find a nice solid crash wall and boom you got 15 to 30 g's. Just make sure you crew shows you the data when you get out of the infield medical center.

Jerry

P.S. if you get over 1.1 g's thats very good.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Banned

I found a sight a while back that a guy has created about his own car and all he had done to it was a LCA and an adjustable panhard bar...stock WS6 sway bars and springs...also energy bushings and koni adjustables. He pulled a 1.27 on a recent track day and has the computer data to prove it. I just think that with enough imagination these cars can do a whole lot more than even we give them credit for...as for the F1 racers, I might have been misinformed. I don't have the link to the sight anymore but the guys name was dan and he had an 84 TA
He was most likely using a G-tech to get the 1.27 reading and that was just a spike. A car can snap or jerk instanly and often catch a rut or groove that will spike the g meter for a quick moment. The highest reading is not always accurate- its best to test G's on a skid pad.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Banned

Re: Re: 3 G's

Originally posted by JERRYWHO
87daddyformula

It's very easy to get 8 plus g's my last 7 or 8 cars all did it with ease. All you have to do is go about 145 mph and find a nice solid crash wall and boom you got 15 to 30 g's. Just make sure you crew shows you the data when you get out of the infield medical center.

Jerry

P.S. if you get over 1.1 g's thats very good.
All I can say is ouch. Jerry, did you ever run sprints at Ascot? I grew up in Carson 5 minutes from there years back, still have my jar of Ascot collectable dirt from before they closed it
Old 01-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: Re: 3 G's

Originally posted by AFreaknGoodTme
All I can say is ouch. Jerry, did you ever run sprints at Ascot? I grew up in Carson 5 minutes from there years back, still have my jar of Ascot collectable dirt from before they closed it

Yes I ran all the races at Ascot from the start of 85 (Was rookie of the year for 85) to the last race ( won dash and 4th in the main )

Link for the last race http://www.scrafan.com/cra/1990race.html
Jerry

Last edited by JERRYWHO; 01-19-2003 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 G's

Originally posted by JERRYWHO
Yes I ran all the races at Ascot from the start of 85 (Was rookie of the year for 85) to the last race ( won dash and 4th in the main )

Link for the last race http://www.scrafan.com/cra/1990race.html
Jerry
Looked at the link- saw your pic- I recognize your car! Sprint car drivers have always had the biggest ***** and my utmost respect. I have many memories at that track growning up mostly in the 70's though. Alot of memories in the early 70's also at Riverside watching the Can Am races from the hillsides on my minibike. A good friend of the family is nickenamed "peanut", her father was Bob Russo (NHRA assoicated) and was always at the track with Aggaginian (Don't know if thats the correct spelling but you know who I'm talking about) Terri ("peanut") has memorabilia dating back to when Ascot first opened as well as original race sign in rosters she inherited from her father when he passed away. She also has lots of valuable Indy stuff estimated now to be worth well over a million dollars( She was offered that and turned it down!). Its fun to see the now legends from back when they were nobody.

Last edited by AFreaknGoodTme; 01-19-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 AM

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
That's all lateral G's.

A top fuel dragster is the fastest accellerating car on the planet. They usually have 60' times around .8 seconds. That's pulling over 5 G's off the start line.

A Pro Stock car pulls 3 G's.

A 12 second car pulls around 1.5 G's

Lateral G's going around a corner needs a lot of help to pull high G's. First of all it needs large sticky tires on all corners so it can stick to the pavement. Next it need suspension that can handle the increased weight. That means normal driving will be very stiff and rough.

To pull high lateral G's means you don't have a street car any more.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:21 AM

Well i did some suspension work based on a local magazine test. They tested a 89 camaro on a circular track and compared to leading sports cars in europe. The camaro did 0.97 lateral g's on the round couse where the ferarri f355 did 0.96 g's. The bmw m5 did 0.93 g's. The course was a round course with a diameter of 100m. All of the compared car's had same tires and stock suspension. The camaro was fitted with a koni shocks, uretane bushings, etc. BUT NO SFCs?? Still good results i would say. I still wouldn't go take on a ferarri

Stephen: I do have a street car... It's a car and I drive on the street. It's a hard ride but at least I won't lose in the corners. I know so do the ricers :lala:

Last edited by Crisis; 01-20-2003 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:41 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: Auto 4
excert taken from Cart new article
'Drivers experienced dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea and visual impairment as the result of repeated, sustained exposure to lateral and vertical forces in excess of 5 Gs for most of the 23 seconds it took to complete a lap around the high-banked'

This is from Texas Motor Speedway which they declined to race last year, due to the excessive G forces..
Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 AM

I really appreciate the info guys...keep it comin!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by waltersb
excert taken from Cart new article
'Drivers experienced dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea and visual impairment as the result of repeated, sustained exposure to lateral and vertical forces in excess of 5 Gs for most of the 23 seconds it took to complete a lap around the high-banked'

This is from Texas Motor Speedway which they declined to race last year, due to the excessive G forces..
heck i experienced those symptoms going around TMS in my car at only about 110 MPH. that is a crazy track, but its fun. all stock suspension, but im hoping to have it upgraded by this next upcoming May to see how i do..
Old 01-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

I want to set my car up for autox and I was just wondering if there is anybody that knows if you can get a third gen to do 3 G's or more...
Hit a wall head-on at a decent speed, you'll pull 3+ G's for a few microseconds.

That's about the only way you're hitting much over 1 G in a streetable car.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i think somebody is confusing camaro's and F-16's, i used to try to do this when i was a kid, heh heh.

Those cars thet pull 3-5 g's are doing so with huge amounts of downforce, they cannot generate those numbers at anything but very high speeds. There downforce is more than the the static weight of the car. they could actually drive upsidedown due to the downforce generated.

maybe there is a use for all those ***** wings!!! you just need a nice smallblock to overcome the drag
Old 01-22-2003, 09:55 PM

Just trying to theoretically push the envelope guys. How many G's is the most anybody has ever heard of any street car pulling?
(Cornering G's...Not acceleration)
Old 01-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1.2 ish
Old 01-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TransAm GTA
Engine: One sweet modified 355 TPI.
Transmission: The kind that shifts....
Don't forget that most of the time those cars are pulling that many G's its because they are on a banked track. Nascar drivers generally pull 3 G's on a banked oval I beleive. And the space shuttle pulls over 3g's of acceloration during launch! It sustains 3g's of acceloration for I beleive the 7 or 8 minutes it takes to reach orbit.

And yes, open wheel cars with huge *** wings such as F1 do have more downforce than the weight of the car itself. I don't know about wanting to test that theory by driving it upside down though.....

In a F1 car the faster you go, the faster you can take the corners. That is an over simplification but it works out like that. obviously you can't expect an F1 to make a 90 degree turn at 200mph, but they do handle as if they were on rails.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:10 AM

Car: 01 996, 96 Z28, 92 turbosonoma, 91 TPI S10
Engine: LT1,LT1, turbo 4.3
Transmission: 700r4, T56, 700R4
my go-kart will pull VERY close, if not 3g's in a corner, and i ride it in parking lots sometimes, does that count?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:33 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: WC T5
Are G-Techs' worth the money? Just curious. I have a car with LCAs, Adj Panard rod. urathane bushings, big sway bars, 8 Pt roll bar and Weight jacks on all four corners(To lower the thing)Oh and 5 way adj struts. I would like to tune the suspension.

Sep SSCC Bound
1986 IROC