Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Car is all over the place!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 04 CTS-V, 06 Commander
Engine: 305 TBI, LS6, 4.7 V-8
Transmission: 5 spd, B&M Short Throw
Car is all over the place!

Ever since I got my car a little over 2 years ago, it has had a mind of its own. I got it with pretty bald 245/50/16 GoodYear GS-C's, and while driving it regularly, it would just jerk left or jerk right at its own will, and when I would make a "K" turn for instance, the front would feel like its jumping or skipping sorta. I took it to get new tires at the tire shop the guy said that it was because the tires were bald. I put new GS-C's on it and it was a little better, but still was all over the place.

I just recently got new 4th Gen T/A rims with 245/45/16 Yokohama's on them. The car seemed even worse with those rims on it, both the swerving and the 'hop'.

Two days ago I got the Kuhmo ECSTA Supra 712's, and they really helped alot. My front wheels only seem to 'hop' when making TIGHT turns, and the spurratic (sp?) left and right jolts are not as often or as bad, but still occur.

Is there something wrong with my suspension? This summer I put on KYB's all around, so hopefully its not shocks/struts. Any opinions welcomed.

Thanks,

KZad

Last edited by KZad; 01-16-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
it all depends on how eratic it handles. I can't tell by your description. i could only tell by driving it. I hope you have had a 4-wheel alighnment done already. some shops will try to tell you it only needs a front wheel, that is BS. although there isn't much you can do with the rear wheels, that is an exellent way to make sure your frame is strait. that tires will definitly make a difference, some tread patterns like to follow every little grove in the road. the Khumos were definitly a good choice, they handle exellent and "ignore" imperfections in the road. upgrading rims is definitly a good choice too. the F-body will "jitter" if you take a real tight turn in a parking lot, especially on new pavement, it is just how they are, they are no supposed to be nice and smooth going 5mph in a parking lot, they are war machines, designed for the track. once you comb through your suspension and upgrade/repair faulty components (every component is faulty in my book) your car will get much better and ride and handle the way the engineers intended, not how the cheap GM assembly line made them.

here are some suggestions to compliment your upgrades:

PST front end rebuild kit

Sphon or Hothkis rear LCA and adjustable panhard rod (these come with poly bushings)

Eibach Pro-Kit (1" drop all around)

KYB GR-2 gas shocks and struts ( I recomend them for bang for the buck effect)

new front inner and outer bearings.ahhh bearings, have you checked these?

strut mount (KYB makes these too)

replace the center link, idler and pitman arm, inner tie rods ( I have these in good shape from my old car if you need them, they are tight)

strut tower brace and steering brace. also check the frame by the steering gear mount, this area has been known to develope stress cracks.....possibly from your friend making those tires bald??

replace the weakest parts first, your car will get better and better, it's worth every penny.

don't forget the LCA relocation brackets if you go with those springs (Eibach pro-kit) , not essential, but you will have traction problems if you punch it off the line, a gear chirp can become a fishtail with a heavy foot too!

you should have talked to me months ago when I sold all this stuff from my car (parted out) I still have the steering parts though. good luck
Old 01-19-2003, 02:39 PM

I am having the same problem, but I know exactly why mine is like that. After I changed the Fuel pump, my panhard bar seemed to take a crap. If I push sideways on the rear of the car, it will move about 1/2". When driving down the freeway, it will try to get out of the ruts (not follow them) and is a total pain to try to control. I would suggest you check your rear suspension for any play in it.