Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

K-member/unibody alignment??? is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 (350 TPI)
Transmission: MD8 (700 R4) + 3.42 LS1 Rear
K-member/unibody alignment??? is it possible?

well about a week ago i swerved to avoid a very nasty accident that happened right in front of me(in my 88' ROC) well the victims on my car were the spindle and the rim at first glance. upon further inspection, after the replacement parts had been installed were..... the passenger wheel sat a whole inch rearward . i then proceeded to take it to the frame shop and they pulled it. well i now inspected the car again and the wheel now sits only 1/4" rearward(passenger side). the car sits a 1/8" lower now on the passenger side after the incident . well my question comes now, can i somehow move the k-member foward a 1/4" on the passenger side?cutting? grinding elongating the hole? then filling with some welding? any ideas greatly appreciated on this. can i fabricate a 1/8"shim to install between the k-member and the body to restore the lost 1/8" height? what do u guys think? please help!!! i was really just gonna junk it since it looks so bad, but i love my car.

edit: does anyone know the torque specs for the k-member to body bolts?

Long ones- ft/lbs
Short one - ft/lbs

Last edited by mystikkal_69; 08-30-2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:02 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

did you have the measurement before the crash? it may have always sat an 1/8 lower, and that isn't really very much, body panels are often off that much as well. if you think it's still off, reward or height wise have them put it back on the jig again and redo it, you pasy for it to be right not close to right. did you get an alignment too? do you know if the front end is aligned? doing what you're thinking about would be the very last thing i considered. as for the torque i'd use the real f*cking tight method.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 (350 TPI)
Transmission: MD8 (700 R4) + 3.42 LS1 Rear
the car never sat slanted downward on the passenger side (when looking from the front) before the accident. that's why i immediately took measurements. yes the wheels were aligned. i did all measurements at the frame(fixed points). i have already removed the k-member and did the measuring where the k-meber mounts. still the same result. i am going to shim it to restore height. upon extreme scrutiny......... the entire strut tower(wheel well) has been pushed up i believe this car is beyond repair . i will has to do what i can and drive it as is. i will have to find another STRAIGHT body w/crappy interior and that's cheap . man what a biatch.