Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Does anybody have pics of SFC's installed??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 bored .40 (357 ci)
Transmission: Race Ready 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
Does anybody have pics of SFC's installed??

My car is in the garage supposely getting a set of Comp. Engineering SFC's installed and the mechanic said that he would have to remove my seats and carpet and then cut a huge slot out of my floor!!!

Need pics of how a set of SFC's that do not require floor pan cutting are installed!!!!!! And I need it by tomorrow morning because I have to go there and have a chat with this guy!!!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:16 PM

Car: 1992 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-56
http://discussions.gmforums.com/show...threadid=17333

These are a set of Spohn connectors
Old 05-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
Find another mechanic or installer. Removal of the seats should not be necessary. The carpet pulled back makes sense though. And I cannot see how he would have to cut anything.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Here is a pic. The connectors on the left are from global west. Alstons on the right.
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody have pics of SFC's installed??-dcp05021.jpg  
Old 05-27-2002, 08:03 PM

:( .. I need to keep my cool tomorrow

See I asked for weld-in SFC's... he said yeah I can get those, they are Comp Engineering weld-ins...what he forgot to tell me is that the Comp Eng C3046 weld-ins require cutting channels out of the floor pan! If he would have said " Yeah, but these require cutting your floor pan open, do you still want these?" I would have said " HELL NO!! I don't want to rip my interior apart and have two big pieces of steel under my carpet!"

But he never said that.... he just said " I did these before and I can get you weld-in SFC's" ... So I think this is his fault! He should have known what he was ordering.

I even mentioned it too him before he ordered them of how I envisioned these SFC's to be welded in.. I said " I am not 100% sure because I never actually saw a set welded in but I think that these SFC's weld in the back, stitch welded along the floor pan, and then welded up front" He said " Yeah I did these on a 88 GTA before"..

*** damnit!! I am not paying for these things... he is either sending these back and getting me the ones he installed on the GTA before, or he is going to modify these ones he has so they can be welded in without cutting the crap out of my floor!!

AARRGGGHHHHH..... I just have to keep my cool about all of it tomorrow... but I am not taking these, they are useless to me... so bottom line is, he better make this right.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:06 PM

Thanks guys

I really appreciate the feedback and pics...
Old 05-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JayG did those require any welding or were they bolt ins? did you have them installed or did you do it?
Old 05-27-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula 350
Engine: L98
the global west connectors were welded, a friend did the work. the alstons were bolted and i did it myself, was going to have them welded before i wrecked the car.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:42 PM

Car: 1983 25th Anny Daytona 500 T/A
Engine: Stock...inoperative... 305
Transmission: Automatic
Re: :( .. I need to keep my cool tomorrow

Originally posted by 87ROCZ
See I asked for weld-in SFC's... he said yeah I can get those, they are Comp Engineering weld-ins...what he forgot to tell me is that the Comp Eng C3046 weld-ins require cutting channels out of the floor pan! If he would have said " Yeah, but these require cutting your floor pan open, do you still want these?" I would have said " HELL NO!! I don't want to rip my interior apart and have two big pieces of steel under my carpet!"

But he never said that.... he just said " I did these before and I can get you weld-in SFC's" ... So I think this is his fault! He should have known what he was ordering.

I even mentioned it too him before he ordered them of how I envisioned these SFC's to be welded in.. I said " I am not 100% sure because I never actually saw a set welded in but I think that these SFC's weld in the back, stitch welded along the floor pan, and then welded up front" He said " Yeah I did these on a 88 GTA before"..

*** damnit!! I am not paying for these things... he is either sending these back and getting me the ones he installed on the GTA before, or he is going to modify these ones he has so they can be welded in without cutting the crap out of my floor!!

AARRGGGHHHHH..... I just have to keep my cool about all of it tomorrow... but I am not taking these, they are useless to me... so bottom line is, he better make this right.
Let me see if I got this straight...
YOU asked for weld-in SFCs. You got weld-in SFCs.
Right?
Just because you ASSUMED they would appear a certain way does not mean the mechanic screwed up. It pretty much means YOU screwed up by not being an informed consumer, you didn't ask enough questions. Don't blame it on the mechanic.
Rob
Old 05-27-2002, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 GTO
Engine: LS1
Unless you want the guy to set your car on fire, I would suggest letting him take the carpet and seats out. The metal of the chassis get extremely hot from the welding and may melt or start the carpet on fire.

Old 05-27-2002, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: :( .. I need to keep my cool tomorrow

Originally posted by ops32

Just because you ASSUMED they would appear a certain way does not mean the mechanic screwed up. It pretty much means YOU screwed up by not being an informed consumer, you didn't ask enough questions. Don't blame it on the mechanic.
Rob
um....you're an ***. It ISN'T the customers "duty" to find out exactly what HE WANTS. That is the shops JOB because he is bring his business to them. The shop was shady and got the ones that would require a lot more installation to weed more money out of him without informing him otherwise.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 GTO
Engine: LS1
Hey Jimmy,

The carpet still needs to come up for weld ins...
Old 05-28-2002, 04:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: :( .. I need to keep my cool tomorrow

Originally posted by 89ProchargedROC

um....you're an ***. It ISN'T the customers "duty" to find out exactly what HE WANTS. That is the shops JOB because he is bring his business to them. The shop was shady and got the ones that would require a lot more installation to weed more money out of him without informing him otherwise.
It isn't the customer's duty to find out what he wants?!?! What kind of stupid idea is THAT!? And you think *I'm* an ***? You just proved YOU are!!!

Rob
Old 05-28-2002, 08:34 AM

Ok .. I got my answer

I just came back from the body shop and we looked at the SFCs, yup sure enough floor pan has to be cut open. So of course I said "No we ain't doing that".... he said " I don't blame you, if it was my car I wouldn't either"..

So I say " Ok, where do we go from here?" .. he said " Well first we are going to send these SFC's back, but there maybe a re-stocking charge"... well what can you do, technically I did order Comp Eng. Weld-ins ... so Ok.... I said " Alright, we send these back now what" ... he said " I can make you a set that will be just as good or better than what you can order in and I should be able to get them done by the end of this week, I will call you after lunch with a price" ... I said " Ok cool"

Live and learn... ... at least we never came to blows... this guy is a very reasonable guy and wants to make this right.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:17 PM

Re: Ok .. I got my answer

Originally posted by 87ROCZ
I just came back from the body shop and we looked at the SFCs, yup sure enough floor pan has to be cut open. So of course I said "No we ain't doing that".... he said " I don't blame you, if it was my car I wouldn't either"..

So I say " Ok, where do we go from here?" .. he said " Well first we are going to send these SFC's back, but there maybe a re-stocking charge"... well what can you do, technically I did order Comp Eng. Weld-ins ... so Ok.... I said " Alright, we send these back now what" ... he said " I can make you a set that will be just as good or better than what you can order in and I should be able to get them done by the end of this week, I will call you after lunch with a price" ... I said " Ok cool"

Live and learn... ... at least we never came to blows... this guy is a very reasonable guy and wants to make this right.
Cool. Did he ever call back?
After reading a bunch of notes on these tech boards I ordered the Jegster bolt-in SFCs. Several guys have said they just bolted them in and haven't had any hole-elongation problems, and a couple more said they bolted them in, then had them welded too! As soon as I find some time, I'm gonna bolt mine in and see what happens for a few months. Then maybe get them welded, too...
Rob