Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs

Basically after i do my tranny work and rear end im going to the suspension. Im gonna have all spohns stuff like LCA's and torque arm, poly bushings, undercarriage support bar. I just dont know if i should go 2 inches down or 1 1/2. I do have to go over speedbumps occasionally. I just want my car to ride on rails when im through with it. Still retaining stock 15 inch wheels when complete with suspension work.....for awhile at least.
Let me know what yall think.
Attached Thumbnails 2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs-waxxx.jpg  
Old 05-22-2002, 12:44 AM

Dude, you don't need a radical drop to get the car to ride on rails. I just did my front suspension and went from the FE1 (soft ride components) to a complete WS6 conversion front to back. With just the mods you see in my sig the car is on rails, trust me, and its sitting at the stock ride height. Only bad thing about it is that the stock ride height is a bit high for LOOKS only. I'd suggest Eibach pro kit springs to get the "finished" look. They're about 1.6" in front and 1.3" in back IIRC.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:19 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: Tire Chirpin A4
Don't slam it! You'll hate it for sure. Use a .5" to 1" drop spring. Remember a suspension has to be tuned to ride like a car is on rails. Don't forget to "match" the other stuff. Dude! I see DoD stickers! Your Military, right? Us military people kick A$$!
Attached Thumbnails 2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs-irocet.jpg  
Old 05-22-2002, 06:47 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
I have the sportline springs and love them. I don't rub but I take speed bumps slow anyways. The only thing that rubs are my relocation brackets. The car feels like it is on rails and I don't rub at all. Also there is only like a visable one inch gap looking at the side.
Attached Thumbnails 2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs-dsc00044.jpg  
Old 05-23-2002, 02:43 AM

Car: 92 Z, 91 Formula, 04 CTS, 01 Tahoe
Engine: 355 forged 4 bolt, SuperRam, 58mm t
Transmission: T5, looking for t-56
I have the Sportlines also.Bottoming out is not as bad as everyone thinks.Never had a problem when I had the stock exhaust system with these springs.
Attached Thumbnails 2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs-dallas.jpg  
Old 05-24-2002, 08:14 PM
KiLLJ0Y

RSpeed.... your ride is clean clean clean!!! i love that car!!.. anyways i wanted to ask about your wheels and springs.

#1.. where did you get those wheels?? how much?
#2.. if i want a 1.5 drop all around(well close to it) what springs are better?? the Pro's?? or sportlines?

thanks guys
Old 05-24-2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by KiLLJ0Y
RSpeed.... your ride is clean clean clean!!! i love that car!!.. anyways i wanted to ask about your wheels and springs.

#1.. where did you get those wheels?? how much?
#2.. if i want a 1.5 drop all around(well close to it) what springs are better?? the Pro's?? or sportlines?

thanks guys
Thanks. The wheels I ordered from groupawheels.com for $238 ea. But if you search around,you may be able to find 'em a few dollars cheaper elsewhere.
And if you want about a 1.25" to 1.5" drop,I would go with the Pro-kit. The Sportlines lowered my car almost a full 2".
Old 05-25-2002, 08:09 AM

I replaced the springs when rebuilding the suspension after finding the original owner collapsed the right front with a torch.
When I dropped the lower control arm the spring fell out and had a 15 degree bend in it. Replaced them with a set of Eibach sports. Car handles great - speed bumps must be negotiated carefully, on some I will "just" touch. I wouldn't recommend a more severe drop.

Great photos and great looking rides guys, I need to get some pics myself.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:48 PM

yeah Rspeed....u make me wanna get my camaro painted black. Awesome car. Kinda off topic but does swirl marks and stuff show up in it alot? I hadda black grand am (miss that car) 2.3 HO quad 4 mated with 5 speed...real quick. Anyways...you could see the "spiderwebs" up close. I love black cars and just want to know if yours looks as good in person as it does in that picture. I whent from white to this color but since i got a ****ty paint job im gonna switch colors again...
Attached Thumbnails 2inch drop or eiabach sportline springs-waxxx.jpg  
Old 05-27-2002, 12:22 AM
KiLLJ0Y

so if i go with the sportlines... im going to have to change bump stops right?? i was looking under my car today at normal height.. and there is only about 1.75 inches of space between the bump stop and the chasis.

what i dont want.. is to be hitting the bump stops on every un-even driving surface i come across. are there new lower bump stops i have to get? or do i chop the current ones?
Old 05-27-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by KiLLJ0Y
so if i go with the sportlines... im going to have to change bump stops right?? i was looking under my car today at normal height.. and there is only about 1.75 inches of space between the bump stop and the chasis.

what i dont want.. is to be hitting the bump stops on every un-even driving surface i come across. are there new lower bump stops i have to get? or do i chop the current ones?
You shouldn't have to change the stops.Your shocks may be worn or your current springs are old and sagging,therefore providing you with the measurement you got. You can still shave off just a bit from the top of the stops if you want.But not too much or the car will come down further on bumps and increase chances of bottoming out.

And for V8POWER- Black is a little harder to maintain.If the car is not buffed or waxed just right,there will be swirl marks.Right now my car looks like crap because I got sandwhiched in between two cars on the highway.But I have new fenders and doors,just gotta put em on and shoot it again with black.

Last edited by RSpeed; 05-27-2002 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those cars arent as low as mine is at the moment..with the struts and springs as worn as mine are its riding very low...i stuck KYB GR-2 shocks in there and it raised it almost an inch...
Old 05-28-2002, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I am running eibach pro kit springs and KYB struts and shocks with a 17" wheel and it sits just right for me. I bought new bump stops for the front and cut the back ones in half. Id like to see what my car will look like with sportlines but changing the front springs is kind of a bitch on your back. Im surprised no one mentioned anything about cutting your stock springs. Bad idea if you ask me. I had an extra set and cut one coil off them and put them in my last 91z28 when the insurance took it just to see what it would look and it dropped a lot. looks great if your cheap but i bet it rides like covered wagon.