Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Rerouting upper radiator hose - help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rerouting upper radiator hose - help!

Hey guys -

I need to reroute the upper radiator hose on my TPI 305 as I've elimiated both the AC delete and Air pump delete pulleys and rerouted the serpentine belt. ( http://para.noid.org/92z/pictures/?m...t&dispsize=800 )

The problem is that the way the belt is routed now, it would rub against the upper radiator hose so that needs to be relocated. Now, I've seen this done on other CMC cars where the upper radiator hose is cut and spliced together using a double barb connector. However, I havne't been able to get this routing to work without kinking the hose and running it very close to the belt.

It occured to me that it woudl be easier to do this if I could route the upper radiator hose to the right, over the driver's side valve cover and then make a 90 degree bend and straight into the radiator. It would involve using a different thermostat housing that routes off to the side.

I tried a housing off of a carb'ed SBC motor. It points off towards the driver's side just fine, but it is angled up and hits the throttle calble linkage on the side of the TB.

I'm wondering if there isn't another thermostat housing out there that might work. Has anyone seen this? Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if such a thermostat housing exists or if there is one out ther that will work?

Thanks!

- Nick
'92 Camaro - CMC #45
http://para.noid.org
Old 02-18-2002, 01:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Nick,
What you need is a thermostat housing like the one I have. It's a two piece housing that swivels so you can postion the neck however you need. Summit has several styles ranging in price from $27 up to $100:

Old 02-18-2002, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long is that belt that you're running? As far as the radiator hose, I'd probably construct a small sheet metal support to hold the hose over the belt that you could bolt to the alternator. I like making things harder than they have to be, though.

You could probably stick a supercharger in place of the a/c :P