Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Mikey wants a LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' TA Digital Dash
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23 Posi Disk 10 Bolt
Re: Mikey wants a LS1 swap

Originally Posted by itsMikey
if anyone wants to actually talk about the LS swap, PM me
thanks
Mikey
Thats too bad. Due to the fact this is supposed to be a great tool for the direction you desire to go. Enjoy "your" car however you want. Opinions are opinions & it's up to you to decipher which info is useful and which is not.

Good luck bro

However I doubt it

Last edited by bungo78; 11-07-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
On Probation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: LsX
Transmission: MN12 6speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Wow this thread has it all..

A bit entertaining and kinda sad how the tgo community turned into.

Btw
I like the comment about my car... I didn't know cameras can do that on the spot.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

this thread will never die!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by TPI TERR
the questions were referred towards your guys tpi builds and modifications.

i know what i have to do to my car since its bone stock. *evap active *donor car fuel tank *4 oxygen sensors in place *4 cats in stock location * air intake from the tpi *air or egr system active* no ses codes
Another member on this board posted that the Smog Referee would not allow him to use the stock TPI air snorkel. He was required to use the LS1 air snorkel, even though it was not a direct fit.

Reading this thread reminds me of the classic car guys who get all bent out of shape when someone puts a big block Chevy engine into a Buick, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile chassis.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

"this thread will never die!!!!!"

I tried and went 3 days without posting. However implying a good friend of mine is an idiot and I assume those running a T-5 behind a 350 are included is more than I can take.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parrydise7

You mean I should have put it in my driveway on jack stands, bought 10 pounds of carne asada and let a bunch of guys attack it with wrenches?

It's funny you should ask about cost. I got the engine and transmission used from a guy who was putting an LS in his third gen. Too bad he never completed the swap. He sold off his project on this board not too long ago.
Talk about generalizing the capabilities of So Cal members, I really hope Mikey shows you otherwise. If enthusiasts followed your logic, nobody would be having a beer while wrenching in their driveways as an American hot rod pass time. Mechanics is not rocket science, you don't need a degree for it. Experience is the best learning curve.

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
You are real cute with the "idiot" icon after the T-5 comment. It's amazing how you have classed a group of people with absolutely no knowledge about them or their thoughts on the LSx subject. What I thought was going to be a friendly rivalry between the TPI guys and the LSx guys has turned into name calling and vitriol from your side. As far as I am concerned you and a couple of others have jumped the shark with juvenile comments. Over and out.
Now you guys are going soft on me? All I did was point out that he contradicted his own advise about settling for less when he is going with a T5 vs. a T56. This is a public forum, nothing to lose sleep over The icon was not a personal attack or name calling. Moderators wouldn't include it as "Smiles" if they thought it was inappropriate or if they thought people would be upset by it.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: .040" over 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt with 3.45s

[QUOTE=Z28FAST1;4728665]Talk about generalizing the capabilities of So Cal members, I really hope Mikey shows you otherwise. If enthusiasts followed your logic, nobody would be having a beer while wrenching in their driveways as an American hot rod pass time. Mechanics is not rocket science, you don't need a degree for it. Experience is the best learning curve.

And it will be lots and lots of experience.

Why don't you ask the guy who sold me the engine and trans how long he was wrenching in his driveway on his LS swap? And be sure and ask him about all that valuable experience that he got.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' TA Digital Dash
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23 Posi Disk 10 Bolt

Originally Posted by Parrydise7
Why don't you ask the guy who sold me the engine and trans how long he was wrenching in his driveway on his LS swap? And be sure and ask him about all that valuable experience that he got.
The circumstances leading to that individuals car does not become the complete argument or answer to not working on your car in a driveway.

Basically, all because his swap went bad, including his know how, experience and location of project. Does not become standard for those who take on this swap in their driveway/ garages.

There are a large percentage of common folk who work on vehicles in garages & driveways. It's more about the time, effort, desire, determination and of course money.

I for one love my T.P.I. in my "bird". I will eventually increase power down the road. How I get there is irrelevant. Whether it's porting this or porting that, head increase, manifold work, etc...

Just as there are those like Mike who want the LSX engine in there vehicles (I for one would like one in my Regal). This swap accomplishes similar things that I would do with my engine. Increase power with a bit more efficiency in a nut shell.

Now here's the similarity. "They both cost money to do". Either way you go, ya gotta have the common dollar to achieve your goal. It then boils down to aesthetics. The look of under the hood. Each in my opinion can give a WOW factor depending on how you fix your curtains so to speak.

Whatever your preference is, it's just that! Share your preference and give opinions. But the sensitivity of this subject has gotten ridiculous. The poster stated wants an LS1 swap. How it veered became very entertaining. I thank those who made this possible. During down times @ work, I check my email on my phone an sure enough there was a response

After a while info on here was not for the benefit for the poster. And it should be. Maybe it can return to that soon. If not, I'll just sit back and enjoy some more

Last edited by bungo78; 11-07-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 AM

If people stuck to the original post and gave advice how to perform the swap all this nonsense (unit measuring) would not be here. Took until the 3rd reply to get there

Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

I'm certain by now that Mikey has enough info and opinions to decide whether he wants to do the swap. I'm closing the thread because is it straying off topic.

Lon