Southern California Area Southern California Members.

AutoX in San Diego and Time Attack in Riverside

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
AutoX in San Diego and Time Attack in Riverside

There is a very high probability that I will be participating in the AutoX event this weekend at Qualcomm. It would be cool if there was another thirdgenner participating.
Depending on how things go I might end up running in either STX, STU, or ESP. I'll need to throw some parts back ON the car if I intend on running ST , and if I want to be competitive in ESP I'll need some 17x9 wheels ready to go on the car for a set of victoracers I have available. Otherwise I'll just be there for fun and experience.

The other thing that is going on is that there is an almost weekly time attack session (tuesdays) at adams motorsports park up in riverside. It seems like it would be a kick *** time. I really want to make it up for that too.

As it stands I need to get a new tie rod end, replace a wheel cylinder, and get an alignment to make all of this happen.

I installed my suspension package over the weekend and despite not having an alignment (pushed the strut towers all the way in and back, toe is whatever it is ) the car has made a monumental, (and i do mean monumental) leap in handling

Just as an FYI, you can't go wrong for the price with moog 5664s (half coil cut) moog 5665s (full coil cut, removed isolator), poly bushings, Howe extended low friction ball joints, and koni yellows. The car has an almost perfect stance and is very neutral and predictable. My main complaint now is the CRAP rear end that is basically acting like an open diff.
Turn left on the throttle and turning right are two different things

Anyway just wanted to put this out there in case anyone was interested.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
Re: AutoX in San Diego and Time Attack in Riverside

Got more info or links to these events.
I might be interested in the AutoX
Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM

I used to go down to that stadium years ago running my Vette in events they had down there. They set up very interesting tracks using the terain of the parking lot into the design with strategically placed rain gutter transitions and off camber corners...very fun parking lot courses.

The Porcshe club of san diego used to and maybe still does run road course events in that same stadium parking lot. I used to run with them on occations also as well as events they would do up here at Calif Speedway a few years back.

Adams track is just go-karts. Are you refering to the arrive & drive program they have to the public with retal karts? They are fun if you have never done them, but are really weight handicapped for the heavier guys trying to speed up and slow down on the long straights. The little guys will out brake the bigger guys all day long and the karts are low HP in acceleration. Perris track is a bit more fun down past March airforce base- you can carry your seed much more crazy there equalling any disadvantages from sharp corner to long straight detriments.

Last edited by Vetruck; 06-09-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

There is nothing on the Qualcomn site so I don't know who is putting it on or if I can run my vert without a rollbar and how much.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by injdinjn
Got more info or links to these events.
I might be interested in the AutoX
http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedu...2010-06-12.pdf

That is the flyer for the autox. I've learned through a friend that it is a two day event despite what the flyer says. I have not officially confirmed this, the source of is a friend of his who is heavily into the autoX scene and races there every month.
I plan on going on saturday.

Since this is an SCCA event I would guess that standard rule book rules apply and in your case I don't think there is a rule in there requiring a roll bar for convertibles. The SCCA rule book is online at SCCA.com and will have the definitive answer. I've read through portions that apply to me and I have not seen any rule requiring a roll bar, only that they are permitted even down to stock provided they are only bolt in. I am just going from memory here. I can look into it for you maybe tomorrow night.

It would be great to see you out there, come on down.

The time attack info is in the next post.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Adds up quick, $30 + $15 + SDRegion card cost not listed.
For over $50 + gas I think I'll pass this time.

Could not open the 2010 rules, but 2009 requires a rollbar in verts.

Last edited by injdinjn; 06-09-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Vetruck
I used to go down to that stadium years ago running my Vette in events they had down there. They set up very interesting tracks using the terain of the parking lot into the design with strategically placed rain gutter transitions and off camber corners...very fun parking lot courses.

The Porcshe club of san diego used to and maybe still does run road course events in that same stadium parking lot. I used to run with them on occations also as well as events they would do up here at Calif Speedway a few years back.

Adams track is just go-karts. Are you refering to the arrive & drive program they have to the public with retal karts? They are fun if you have never done them, but are really weight handicapped for the heavier guys trying to speed up and slow down on the long straights. The little guys will out brake the bigger guys all day long and the karts are low HP in acceleration. Perris track is a bit more fun down past March airforce base- you can carry your seed much more crazy there equalling any disadvantages from sharp corner to long straight detriments.

Good to know about the qualcomm autoX.

Believe it or not, adams does indeed have a time attack session every other tuesday for cars

http://www.adamsmotorsportspark.com/...me-attackgrip/

Here is a video of an EVO on a claimed "record" run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVOX...eature=related

IIRC the track is 7/10ths of a mile

About karts: I have not raced at adam's nor have ever been there I have however been to perris to watch and help a friend out. Most of the karting I have done is at Miramar speed circuit which has gas powered sodi(?) karts. I believe the track is about a quarter mile and is indoors. The karts can carry decent speed (max about 40) but you really have to have good energy management as they do not have very good low end. I've also done some racing at K1 in carlsbad which has electric karts with TONS of torque.
Incidentally, the first night I was there we ran into John Hopkins (professional motorcycle racer, I think he is in MotoGP now) and raced him and his supermodel looking wife. First time ever on the track and IIRC there was barely a .3 spread between my friend, hopkins, and myself. My friend is about a buck 30 and managed to beat hopkins which severely inflated his ego. I think if it wasn't my first race and time at that track things might have turned out different

I've also done pole position out in vegas (they also have one her in Murrieta) and that is pretty fun, very similar to k1. I love karts, it's like a drug to me.

Hopefully that helps me some with the car.

Last edited by Pablo; 06-10-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

A guy I worked with years ago SCCA raced a modded vette (yes he was serious about his racing) and he would hit the kart track the day before a race to get his timing down.
Dave Alcatore (sp) if you run across the name say Hi for me.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by injdinjn
A guy I worked with years ago SCCA raced a modded vette (yes he was serious about his racing) and he would hit the kart track the day before a race to get his timing down.
Dave Alcatore (sp) if you run across the name say Hi for me.
I never heard of him. I raced my Vette on Dick Guldstrands team from 87-'93 and was untouchable. The guys that were close to me in the newer stuff were Brian Chemelewski, Grant Byers, and the famous but late Mark Thorton. Mark had a Carbon fiber paneled 89 Vette back before CF was even really known and was tagged as the god of Vettes. IHe was the one I would run down to Jack Murphy stadium (Now Qualcomm) and try and find. I finally got him in 92 and I cleaned his *** that day by 1.2 seconds.

This is footage from a Canadian TV show that had come down to shoot footage of the "Monster V8 Miata" and ended up doing a 15min segment of me on national TV. This aired in Canada back in '91. This was my first of 5 runs and my very first run of the day- no practice. Back stright speed is 110mph in second gear, most of the track was run in 1st gear (70mph max in 1st gear @ 8500 rpms)-...AND NO POWER STEERING

"http://www.youtube.com/v/JNHl0cFaP0w&hl=en_US&fs=1

Last edited by Vetruck; 10-24-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

I knew him thru the mid 70's. lost track of him by the early 80s when we moved up north for awhile.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Some serious racers in here, good stuff!!!! I hope to get my suspension up to par once i get out of school and do some autocross as well.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

I there only a few suspension experts on this board and Vetruck is one of them.

Check out his posts on the suspension board.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM

thank you for the complement Tom.

Truth is I was lucky to be around racing at a young age and craved suspension settings as a hobby biproduct of my driving. The Vette pictured above was my fathers new in '68, it has always been in the family and I used to steal her when I was 12 and they were gone on vacation. God help me if I ever crashed it, I lok back now how lucky I was just not to have even been pulled over in such an obvious car back then. I guess my fear of my father kept me from crashing it

As you see in the video in those first couple of up close corners you can see each time I blip the throttle I steer the car with the throttle, This car is a HANDFUL- a true monster. It really is way too much for the street hence why I just do not drive it. Its loud, its rigid and uncomfortable, it gets about 3mpg on at the very least AvGas which is over $5 a gal and one quick blip of the throttle gets a free ride to jail. It is really hard to resist side stepping the clutch at 60 mph and lighting up the street tires showing a Mustang next to me what hes screwing with...it gets old. Unfortunately, its a garage queen, but I would be devastated if I sold it- its like my left arm and nice to aways know I have it to resort to even when I mostly never have to show my cards.

I ran a 10.89 @ 134mph in this car on street tires up at LACR back in 1989 and did NOT touch the bottle that was in it at the time. My father and Mike Hays (Centerforce Clutches) plumbed it with NOS at that time but it was way too much and scary the one time I witnesses my father press the button at 90mph on the 91 fwy and smoked the tires..it is just rediculous so we pulled the NOS system off to simplify access to maintinace of the motor.

A car this fast just needs to be more locked up in the suspension because of the massive torque. and throttle steer coming off corners. I literally drive this car like a sprint car put onto a road race course. You can not drive this car in the rain, you have no feel of the road. You can see the bumpyness of Irvine Meadows parkinglot in the video, that parkinglot is terrible and reaked havoc trying to lay down power and braking. you can see several incidences in the video of tire smoke on both accelration and braking and those are very soft "r" compound 335-30/17's and 12.5" wide wheels.

Those days were fun, but expensive and long. Alot like drag racing, alot of sitting around and waiting. Its why I love just going go-kart racing, you are there, you drive, you go home. Even the NASCAR stuff got boring at times.

I just never had the money to go full road racing for a season, just an occational open course event and Solo 1&2. We always wonder just what if... I am still fortunate I got to do what did in life and racing and the sponsor assistance I did get with Guldstrand, Cone Chevorlet, and Centrerforce Clutches in the 6 years of amatuer events I ran... I just never had a full year of any of those due to money restraints. Lots of event wins (54 to be exact), but no overall championships due to absences.

Z28fast1, I saw your beautiful car at the Bob's Bigboy meet, but I do not think we met. You have done a fantastc job on that car. If you ever need help sorting it out for autox I would not mind coming out to assit one day. A few little tricks I can do track side to help try and get you balanced. I'll have you run a lap and then see where the car is at. I have an uncanny knack for watching and listening to a cars suspension then making adjustments without even riding in the car.

Ps- that video run was a 58.05. My fastest run that day was a 56.23 and I was overall the 3rd fastest car that day out of 122 cars- 5 of them being modified open wheel cars- only two of the five beat me. The Vette is 6' 7" track width in the rear, its a half a foot wider that my full size pickup so getting that wide car through cone transistions was a very tough feat especially without power steering. You'll see in the video I do not wear my upper 5pt harness restraints sso I can get over the steering wheel and muscle it, I would break steering column bearings all the time. The famous Grant Byers (test driver for Goodyear Tires and Monroe shocks) rode along with me once and commented to my father afterwards that I did not breathe once during a 60 sec run.... talk about work.

Last edited by Vetruck; 06-12-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

The famous Grant Byers (test driver for Goodyear Tires and Monroe shocks) rode along with me once and commented to my father afterwards that I did not breathe once during a 60 sec run.... talk about a one track mind.

Fixed
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 AM

Just skimmed the stickies for the Ultimate 3rd gen suspension, great info!! I'm probably going to start w/the drop spindles and budget myself according your(Vetruck) info.