Southern California Area Southern California Members.
View Poll Results: Do you want to change our meeting location?
Yes, lets do Dave & Busters in Irvine.
39.29%
No, I'm fine with Mimi's Cafe in Industry.
7.14%
I want to go somewhere else.
39.29%
I'll go where ever the group is going.
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

February Meeting Plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 AM

Re: February Meeting Plans

Catfight?

I don't know what to say, but everyone needs to take a step back, put it back in your pants, and just cast a vote, OK?

As far as the service or lack thereof from Mimi's, being witness or not to it does not mean it didn't exist. I don't think glass in the parking lot set the mood or anything else prior to going, I suspect it was lack of proper kitchen inventory that set the mood. Having worked in a managerial position in food service, to me its completely inexcusable to run out of a required product. Call it a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure there are instances where the unusual happens and the inventory is depleted faster than expected (I can say I never ever let this happen either) but I can say with certainty that someone who does the food order really screwed up. We arrived early enough to note that Mimi's did not have any sort of mass rush to handle, at least I would hope that was not the case for a Saturday night. If anything, I'd say they were a bit on the slow side as far as business was concerned. So how can you run out? Simple, the guy ordering or stocking/inventorying food was clueless. So there's problem one.

Then I can say that on more than one occasion my well was dry and even though I tried to get the attention of the waiter the first time he was too busy being aloof I suppose. Later, he asked me if I'd like another drink (it was dry again) and I responded yes and waited. And waited. And waited. I did not get a refill until well after he asked a second time, and it was obvious he had no clue he had asked before and forgotten to bring another. So thats likely problem two.

I was honestly not paying much attention to this type of thing until I saw MP get up and come back in with who I would assume was the manager. It was then that I noted the lack of filled drinks and noted that there was no timely check to fill them. On top of that, MP told the manager to bring pitchers of various drinks because I'm pretty sure at that point he figured it would be easier to just handle it ourselves and eliminate the waiter issue. For whatever reason; lack of pitchers, lack of hearing ability, outright refusal of a customer request... this as you all would know did not happen. That would be fine if they were handling the drink fill issue, but they did not. So that's probably problem three.

How many more issues do we need in a single visit to determine that the service is lacking? Maybe they were not all visible to all, but now they are. I personally would not be against revisiting Mimi's sometime but I've only been there once. Surely if they cannot handle things the next time around (if there is one) then they can be crossed off the list for good at least for me.

The piles of glass did make me a bit uneasy, especially since I had just about finished up my car and I did not want it to be a candidate for more new parts. Really, someone from the staff should have noticed this and cleaned up the evidence and maybe that is another problem with the recent visit as well. Usually when running a place of retail business you would want the exterior addressed as well as the interior... but then again if that guy was the manager I'd be inclined to think he was very new at that kind of job or just didn't care.

I don't know if D+B is the answer. I'm sure it will be fun, plenty to do there, I think the food is decent, and service is usually good and timely. I also don't see a problem with not having the same venue each time since so far, nobody has been really going out of their way to make sure we come back. I can tell you for certain that parking at the Spectrum on a Saturday evening will likely be parking in the back 40 right where the two freeways meet if you want to park together, or scattered if you want to park closer. I don't think walking will kill us though and while they do have a security patrol, they are more there to hand out grief to a bunch of F-bod owners in a row than prevent piles of glass... although Irvine tends to be fairly glass free... and more filled with Mercedes and BMW's that are better targets than us.

So not that it matters, but thats my 2 cents.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342

Back when I started going to these meetings about 7 years ago, we used to meet at 2 different Power Chevrolet Dealerships, in their meeting room.

It was all about the cars, socializing and putting a face to the names of the people that post here, and talking about parts.

We didn't argue about parking, security, service, quality of food or social status.
All we needed was an interest in 3rd gens.

How about meeting at a place like that again?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by JulieGTA
Back when I started going to these meetings about 7 years ago, we used to meet ... socializing and putting a face to the names of the people that post here, and talking about parts.

We didn't argue about parking, security, service, quality of food or social status.
All we needed was... 3rd gens.

How about meeting at a place like that again?
The problem Julie is there is alot more than 2 of us now, so I don't think the rest of them will fit in the back seat with us.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity you left for teasing.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Car: 09 GSXR/88 iroc/91 RS B4C
Engine: 600cc/l5.7/5.7
Transmission: 6 speed/TH 350/auto
Axle/Gears: 45tooth rear?/3.23/3.42

I would be more inclined towards something with parking, where we all park together such as Mimi's. I believe that is the biggest aspect of the meet, to park together check out each others car, mods and converse. Food to me is really not that big of a deal as long as theres a variety and good service. One point to make is that newer members, or people that have never shown up to a meeting often don't want to take in part in the dinner portion of the meet. they are more looking forward to meeting out in a parking lot, checking out each others cars and chatting. I know my very first time i went to a meeting i parked, spent about 30min in the parking checked out everyone's cars, spoke some car talk and left before everyone headed in for dinner. I did not want to take part in the dinner because i did not feel comfortable enough with everyone just yet. Either way as fun as Dave & Buster is i'd vote against it, parking to me kills the deal
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Car: 88' TA Digital Dash
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:23 Posi Disk 10 Bolt

Originally Posted by godreject
I would be more inclined towards something with parking, where we all park together such as Mimi's. I believe that is the biggest aspect of the meet, to park together check out each others car, mods and converse. One point to make is that newer members, or people that have never shown up to a meeting often don't want to take in part in the dinner portion of the meet. they are more looking forward to meeting out in a parking lot, checking out each others cars and chatting. I know my very first time i went to a meeting i parked, spent about 30min in the parking checked out everyone's cars, spoke some car talk and left before everyone headed in for dinner. I did not want to take part in the dinner because i did not feel comfortable enough with everyone just yet.
I've got both hands up on this one... Yo, it's about initial contact for myself... For all I know, I walk in for the meet and verbal barbs, laser pointers for eye's and flammable breathe may unfold... I would need a bio-hazard suit, that can deflect laser's and has flame retardant... For myself it's more of how do these kat's conduct themselves under the circumstances of rookies in the fold... Most of, if not all, are like family... So when someone new is thrown in... Uncertainty could exist.. Just my weak analogy folks... Needed somethin' ta type. And tossed my copper coins in the cup

A...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

"parking to me kills the deal"

Might well be. I'm for giving it at least a chance.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 PM

Car: 09 GSXR/88 iroc/91 RS B4C
Engine: 600cc/l5.7/5.7
Transmission: 6 speed/TH 350/auto
Axle/Gears: 45tooth rear?/3.23/3.42

by no means am i skipping meetings if i have the time to attend if there held @ D&B, parking would definitely suck but majority rules. I wold actually like to try it out and see how it works out(also looking forwards to a few drinks afterwards) but somehow i have a hunch some people will attend find no parking easily accessible and just drive off, i'm sure we've all have done this in the past...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

Its a members club and meets every 2nd month.
ANYONE can pick and set up a meeting location, preferably more than a day in advance.
Moving the meetings around would possibly generate more membership.
Stealerships are not real happy to see a bunch of 20 + year old cars. If like the vette clubs, you have 50 years of cars they smell the opportunity to sell a new car.

Someone could check out the Bobs and Sonics, no meeting rooms but once a year would be acceptable.

As for Mimis. They like to present themselves as "upscale" dining establishments and everyone Ive been in is barely "upscale coffee shop". If they want to be upscale they need to improve service and have the items on the menu.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

"and have the items on the menu."

I do not care for the dinner menu at all at Mimi's. IMHO the food is so-so at best. However breakfast may be just great for Lon's other meeting.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:21 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Axle/Gears: 342

I think we should try to accomodate new people. Maybe the "regulars" can be a little intimidating?

I also remember, for the first couple meetings I went to, I didn't know anyone by sight. So when I got to the restaurants, I couldn't find the group.

I went to one Christmas dinner at Knott's, and a meet at a Dave & Busters and never found anyone! I wasn't going to ask every group of 10 or more, if they were 3rd genners...
Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

Julie
Yeah, that can be a problem since we dont run around in 3rd gen t shirts.
maybe we could buy beanie hats with 3rd gens on a post spinning around.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by injdinjn
Yeah, that can be a problem since we dont run around in 3rd gen t shirts.
maybe we could buy beanie hats with 3rd gens on a post spinning around.
How bout kat's just where limousine driver cardboard signs hanging around everyone's necks, super black sunglasses accessories, with a TGO logo'd button on the chest... It's very discrete

I know, I know....

lol....
Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Car: 92 Trans Am - Sold

Ok, new D&B Meeting Room details my daughter brought home and I spoke to a manager.

How do you all feel about having the meeting on a Sunday instead of Saturday?

Friday & Saturday: Being their busy times require a minimum purchase of a $500 buffet style dinner in the meeting rooms.

Employee discount: No charge for the room and beverages are free.

Sunday: We can order food & drinks from the menu or an option of a in room buffet dinner starting as low as $10.99 per person. It sounds like most would prefer to order from the menu but I can call back and get more detail on the buffet options if interested.

Employee discount: No charge for the room.

Just a guess but the parking situation on Sunday may be better too.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

For me I can't make Sundays.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

I can't make Sundays either, but don't let that dissuade you guys. I keep up with our activities on this board and will make as many activities as I can.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

"Friday & Saturday: Being their busy times require a minimum purchase of a $500 buffet style dinner in the meeting rooms."

That looks like a deal killer.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Now that it appears we're having to move the meeting day to a Sunday or cough up big bucks to secure the room, this seems to me to have substantially changed the original conditions of the vote. I can re-set the vote to zero and we take a new vote or we can suggest other locations and start the process over.

I just heard that the original Johnny's Broiler in Downey is re-opening as a Bob's Big Boy. We can check it out. There is also a Bob's Big Boy in West Covina in the former Chevy's location in the NE corner of WestCove Shopping mall. No private room to hold a meeting though.

Lon
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

"I just heard that the original Johnny's Broiler in Downey is re-opening as a Bob's Big Boy."

Lon, I would have no trouble with that suggestion.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Car: 92 Trans Am - Sold

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
"Friday & Saturday: Being their busy times require a minimum purchase of a $500 buffet style dinner in the meeting rooms."

That looks like a deal killer.

Yeah I saw that and knew it would be a deal breaker for a Saturday night meeting, but Sunday remains an option for D&B. And I wanted to get the info out asap so we can check out other places.

I agree we should start a new poll but lets get a few more places on the list first.

We're not above checking out other forums to see where other clubs are meeting and snaking their spot are we?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
"I just heard that the original Johnny's Broiler in Downey is re-opening as a Bob's Big Boy."

Lon, I would have no trouble with that suggestion.
I just got back from there and I was also there on opening day which was Monday night. Great food and service! I wouldn't have the meeting there but it would be a great place to eat at after the meeting.

Last edited by Agent13; 10-22-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM

There is a new Bob's Big Boy Near Don's shop in the stadium Theater area.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by Vetruck
There is a new Bob's Big Boy Near Don's shop in the stadium Theater area.
Yeah, and so far there is only an hour wait to be seated.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: M5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

I like the idea of meeting at a track. I'd rather do that then go somewhere and eat.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jason89RS
I like the idea of meeting at a track. I'd rather do that then go somewhere and eat.
We are not talking about a "get together" meeting. We are talking about our regular business meeting where we discuss up coming events. I think meeting at a track would probably be louder than Fudds was.

The Denny's in Irwindale across the freeway from the Miller Brewery has a meeting room. I'm not sure how good the service is. I've stopped there a few times on my way to and from the mountains and the service is spotty depending on how many servers are working. I also don't know how many people are required to utilize the banquet room.

Last edited by Russ-So Cal; 10-23-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I vote for any place with a good burger.

Last edited by studdmstr; 10-23-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Russ-So Cal
We are not talking about a "get together" meeting. We are talking about our regular business meeting where we discuss up coming events.
Meeting at a track or similar car friendly place to conduct the regular business meetings was proposed back in post #26. I don't know about other people but I would be more inclined to start attending meetings at that venue than the 1-2 hr drive each way for dinner at a D&B's.

Last edited by Jason89RS; 10-23-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:13 PM

..Toyota speedway. http://www.toyotaspeedwayatirwindale.com/track.asp

PVCA (Pomona Valley Corvette Assoc) through the guidance of Chuck who some of you know do this 3 Saturdays a year at irwindale. Why not tale the oppotunity and make 3 Saturday club meetings there a year. Here are picture archieves of PVCA concucting meetings prior to the races...FOR FREE- the only thing it costs you is food and drinks and you can even bring your own food and drinks.
http://www.pvca.org/PVCA_photo_List_...age=1&sort=num
This is post #26

In this post, it's suggested that the meeting take place 3 times a year. This is a good location idea, yet not a permanent location either since there would be more than 3 meetings in a year.

A...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bungo78
In this post, it's suggested that the meeting take place 3 times a year. This is a good location idea, yet not a permanent location either since there would be more than 3 meetings in a year.
It seems that everyone seems stuck on finding the "one" place. Why not mix it up a bit...have one or two meetings at a restaurant/restaurants and then have a meeting at a track venue like Toyota speedway or California speedway. I don't know if the membership level of the club is up or down, but either way a format like this might possibly increase interest and boost numbers by drawing in people that wouldn't normally come.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM

It seems that everyone seems stuck on finding the "one" place. Why not mix it up a bit...have one or two meetings at a restaurant/restaurants and then have a meeting at a track venue like Toyota speedway or California speedway. I don't know if the membership level of the club is up or down, but either way a format like this might possibly increase interest and boost numbers by drawing in people that wouldn't normally come.
Yo, i definitely see the angle you suggest...

I can see the other side to this also... I figure since this is about february meetin' plans, a location situation would have to be resolved soon. It's practically november, and I would assume there are a decent amount of kat's on here who need time in advance for plans. This bein' one of'em...

I for one am 31 wit little to no extra responsibilties(no kids, free on weekends, etc..) However, there are those who may have extra curricular's that take time, and or can't just go all over the SoCal map.

Maybe this poll should be revised for another option as the D&B may not be suitable any longer... And see where it rolls from there and to possibly a smooth endin' for the most folks that can swing it.. And I haven't been to one of these yet... So, I'm in wait and see mode

A...
Old 10-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bungo78
Yo, i definitely see the angle you suggest...
I can see the other side to this also... I figure since this is about february meetin' plans, a location situation would have to be resolved soon. It's practically november, and I would assume there are a decent amount of kat's on here who need time in advance for plans. This bein' one of'em...

I for one am 31 wit little to no extra responsibilties(no kids, free on weekends, etc..) However, there are those who may have extra curricular's that take time, and or can't just go all over the SoCal map.

Maybe this poll should be revised for another option as the D&B may not be suitable any longer... And see where it rolls from there and to possibly a smooth endin' for the most folks that can swing it.. And I haven't been to one of these yet... So, I'm in wait and see mode
I see what you're saying about Feb and agree that they need to find something fairly soon. What I was proposing is for the bigger picture and not just February.

All I'm saying is that if you move the location around a little you might pick up more members at the meetings. If that's not acceptable because of those that have extra cirricular's that take time and can't travel away from their home area then call the club what it is. An OC/LA third gen club that welcomes people from all over So Cal.

I haven't gone yet either but plan on attending a meeting sometime soon, maybe Feb.

Last edited by Jason89RS; 10-23-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...

Time for me to chime in on this. I'll let you guys hash out the details of where you want to meet, since right now I'm not really available to attend the meetings regularly. But I will toss in my $0.02.

I do like Dean's suggestion of Irwindale 3x a year. Other meetings can be arranged at another venue or venues.

As far as a central place to meet, this has LONG been a point of discussion for many years. Unfortunately, there seems to be no place 1/2 way between L.A. and the OC, so we've met where we could.

There's been an ongoing push to make this an OC based club. I get it that more members now are in the OC area. And I do understand that for quite a while the OC people made the trek to L.A.

So, D&B's, Mimi's ...etc. don't matter much to me as I probably won't be able to attend those venues. Irwindale I would make the effort to be at since it would be more of an event.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by BretD 88GTA
Time for me to chime in on this. I'll let you guys hash out the details of where you want to meet, since right now I'm not really available to attend the meetings regularly. But I will toss in my $0.02.

I do like Dean's suggestion of Irwindale 3x a year. Other meetings can be arranged at another venue or venues.

As far as a central place to meet, this has LONG been a point of discussion for many years. Unfortunately, there seems to be no place 1/2 way between L.A. and the OC, so we've met where we could.

There's been an ongoing push to make this an OC based club. I get it that more members now are in the OC area. And I do understand that for quite a while the OC people made the trek to L.A.

So, D&B's, Mimi's ...etc. don't matter much to me as I probably won't be able to attend those venues. Irwindale I would make the effort to be at since it would be more of an event.
Well said and my feelings exactly! The drive would be worth it for me to attend an event at Irwindale or similar venue.
I'm in the IE and we are definitely the red headed step children out here, but I do understand where the club was founded and where the majority of the attending membership lives.....like I said above why not just call it what it is.

Last edited by Jason89RS; 10-23-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 PM

like I said above why not just call it what it is.
Yeah... Does have that vibe.. lol

However like brettd 88gta said, the same kat's went out to L.A. as well.. Soooo...

It's a crapshot I guess.. I also would dig the Irwindale location for the whole SoCal 3rd Gen Extraveganza.... Would be a smooth affair.. Especially it only being every couple months... Would add some sizzle.. Anticipation so to speak..

I'm curious to know whut the others on here think, feel, etc... on this..

Like it was stated earlier on this thread.. Sadly you cant please all... Yet we can strap up the sleeve's and try..

A...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Central and good food.
Phillipes on Alameda in LA near union station

Parking is tight

No meeting rooms, but there are some rooms and areas we could reserve.

Want outstanding Burgers - Boll Weevil 5 or 6 locations in San Diego County

JFC already, pick a f'ing location and run with it. There are 6 meetings next year so find 6 locations.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by injdinjn
JFC already, pick a f'ing location and run with it. There are 6 meetings next year so find 6 locations.
Lol..! I can feel the words on the screen

Another option if interested..

In Long Beach, which is between L.A. and O.C. yet quite a bit far from the desert comm... There's the Yardhouse @ Shoreline drive.. It has plenty of parking for everyone to park together an show off there wheels, and can walk over to the place to meet.. It's patrol'd by the marina police for security..

The Yardhouse menu is a lil' pricy.. Appetizers start round $10, and lunch around that, plus a few bills, then dinner is round $20... Has decent atmosphere if folks wanna lounge afterwards etc.... They have a room to meet.. Needs to be reserved for the use...

A...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

This is not an OC/LA club. We have members all over So Cal from the Central Coast to San Diego. We have tried over the years to organize meetings elswhere, but so far the only ones actively organizing things at this point in time are from OC or S.E LA County. We hear from people in the I.E. who want a meeting in the I.E., but until someone steps up and takes the time to do the research to find a place out there to meet, it won't happen. Don't just post "There is a place near me at..." and expect someone to drive all the way from L.A./OC out to your favorite place to discuss booking a meeting room. If you have a place near where you live that would be suitable, go in, talk to the manager, find out if they have a place for us, if they want us, what will it cost, and can it be reserved. Then come to the board and put up a post for discussion. This goes for anyone anywhere in the So Cal area. Complaining that we are an LA/OC club when no one has ever stepped up to organize anything or even try to get details to "get the ball rolling" is completely counter-productive.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM

Complaining that we are an LA/OC club when no one has ever stepped up to organize anything or even try to get details to "get the ball rolling" is completely counter-productive.

I for one never complained about the club. I specifically said that it had that vibe.. And anyone who is a rookie or new to the community may get the same idea... That wasn't a slap in the face to the kat's in the O.C. or E. LA area... Just a statement of how it looked to a couple folks who posted..

Yet I believe since the original idea of D&B is dying a slow death in the poll.. Any communication in rectifying this or has a positive idea to keep things forward is not counter-productive.. It would be counter-productive for me if fella's on here have no desire to slide to Long Beach for a meeting... And I get all the info just to be proud of myself? That's why I put the minimal info in my post to gauge interest, if any at all... Then I would have got my hustle on.. Ya dig?

A...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

We need a place to meet with a quiet dining room or banquet facility. We try for reasonable prices because most of the people in the club do not have deep pockets. Those that do may not want to spend a lot on dinner at a monthly meeting. If anyone can find something suitable let us know.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Does this club have appointed officers? I thought I read something about Mike being one of them? assumed my suggestion to this board and then consequent follow-up by me to provide contact info for the appropriate person (who ever that really may be?)to arrange the club event would yield an answer of some type by now about booking 3 dates for next years schedule at Toyota Speedway.

Then, As Jason and Tom both suggested...its really not hard to just randomly pick 3 MORE different places to meet for gatherings/meetings. They don't even need to be the same three= why not one up in Industry area, one in the south bay (near Torrance/Pedro/Long beach) area, and one OC area just to spice things up and get different interest and turnout. Heck, I am not a creature of habit, I eat at lots of different places, I like variety.

Problem here is- This is a free club..that's right, Absolutely no membership dues.........THUS, here we go......NO COMMITMENT......Thus no funds to pre plan banquet rooms, and the potential for cheap people to skip out on their share when left with paying on the spot (there, I said it) So you all continually look for a place that's free meeting rooms, and then try to eat as a group while leaving it to each individual to have separate checks. Most decent places aren't going to put up with that more than 1 or 2 times good service then they think," oh god, its that cheap group of car club guys again that 1/2 the group just order drinks and lots of refills.... thus no appropriate bill so no appropriate tip is left... Next visit? the waiter thinks...Screw this.

I know a great pothole filled vacant lot on Leffingwell Rd. and Meyer Rd. where these tha kind roach coach sitting curbside every night 4-11pm with 65cent Tacos and buck Horchatas...We could all park in a wagon circle fashion and sit on our hoods conducting old western style camp out meetings while even befriending the local indian's (In this case Mexicanos in and around the taco truck) and smoke peace pipes with them (Trust me on that parkinglot fact). We could even have group show and tell on the couple of cars scattered in the vacant lot on jack stands and do some further part removal for the locals.

Seriously, Pick a park, get fast food or sack lunch prior to showing, and BYOC,S,S,H,BUM (Bring your own chair, stool, sofa, hammock, blow up mattress) and a sweater or jacket. I won't be there, I will be out somewhere spending money lighting my hair on fire in some fashion.

Get my drift?

I just look in here regularly after browsing the suspension boards. You guys and gals do anything interesting group fun wise (And generally car related since it is a car club)then I will be there.

Dean.

Last edited by Vetruck; 10-24-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 AM

Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

It is interesting that two people who have never been to one of our meetings since we started using a restaurant and have never been to the drags with us, never been on a cruise, never been to any activity with this club, but they know all about what happens when the club gets together!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

I know a great pothole filled vacant lot on Leffingwell Rd. and Meyer Rd. where these tha kind roach coach sitting curbside every night 4-11pm with 65cent Tacos and buck Horchatas...We could all park in a wagon circle fashion and sit on our hoods conducting old western style camp out meetings while even befriending the local indian's (In this case Mexicanos in and around the taco truck) and smoke peace pipes with them (Trust me on that parkinglot fact). We could even have group show and tell on the couple of cars scattered in the vacant lot on jack stands and do some further part removal for the locals.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

It is interesting that two people who have never been to one of our meetings since we started using a restaurant and have never been to the drags with us, never been on a cruise, never been to any activity with this club, but they know all about what happens when the club gets together!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM

I'm the first to say I have never been to any said function... My info specifically states I joined here Jan '09.. However, I have recently discovered the past couple months individuals get together for their love of 3rd gens...

So I know nothing of the specific's of whut goes on during them.. No shocker there.. Yet all i have to go by is this board, or thread that this issue is being discussed.. So I can take whut you said as, since I haven't been to one I have no right to share my opinion, thought or idea? Seems your reaction has been taken emotionally or to seriously on my part.. Regardless of activity.. Vetruck gave his 2 cents, and i thought he gave some credible info that I agreed with.. Nothing more.. So with your counter productive remark earlier... (Seems a lil' hypocritical) I felt that way with your post..

I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch to see how things go and chime in if productive for the thread... Hopefully a majority decision happens that's great for most interested...

Peace
Adrian

Last edited by bungo78; 10-25-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
You have happened to witness me at two different restaurant meetings...so rather than agreeing with Russ, Maybe you might want to ask his dumb *** where he was at both of those?

I have veen to the drags twice, I have been to autoX, Speedzone, A few joint events Kevin has done with Chuck, a Christmas dinner, Sonics.....just off the top of my head.

ps- I even hang out a few times with members here outside of the bimonthly meetings ( Tom and Chris for dinner, Kevin Lawson, Jason Phillips, JonA at Irwindale, been out several times helping support Randy's business out east, etc)

Russ? Where the heck have you been hiding? I have seen you once a few years back at a Chevy dealership in Crenshaw or something like that.

Last edited by Vetruck; 10-25-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

I'm sorry, I make most of the meetings, but miss once in a while. Aparranrtly I missed meetings that you attended. It may have been that the meetings you attended were as you described with people just buying drinks, but not food. Every meeting I've attended was different. When we met at Ricky and Ronnies, we ate dinner after the meeting, and those who didn't want to eat, generally left at the close of the meeting. The meetings I made at Mimi's Cafe, everyone generally ordered a meal. We had one couple who came by the last meeting but left early because they had another dinner apointment scheduled. They did not even order drinks, but everyone else who was there had a meal. It may be that only 20-30 people buying a meal is not enough business for a restaurant to be interested in us, but it appears that the basic problem is that it is more often the high end restaurants that have private banquet rooms available.
I still think your post suggesting that we go meet in a vacant lot with bag lunches is out of line, and not productive. I am presuming that someone will contact Irwindale speedway about getting us some dates for next year, but I'm not ready to get impatient if nothing has been done a few days after the suggestion is first posted.
Bungo78, there is no need to sit on the sidelines, but when you haven't been to a meeting, how can you post "I agree" when someone pontificates exactly what has occured in the past that makes it difficult for us to find a place to meet?

So far I have not heard of a restaurant that doesn't want us, or want our business. We have run into problems finding a place for Christmas dinners in the past because many places are booked up well in advance for corporate functions. Typically, the situation we may dfind for a meeting room is exactly like the situation at D&B's. If the place is popular on Saturday nights for a hang out, the restaurant can use the banquet room to seat more customers. If a group wants to reserve the banquet room in a restaurant that will fill the space if it is not reserved, it only makes sense that they want someone to pay for it.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

You have happened to witness me at two different restaurant meetings...so rather than agreeing with Russ, Maybe you might want to ask his dumb *** where he was at both of those?

I have veen to the drags twice, I have been to autoX, Speedzone, A few joint events Kevin has done with Chuck, a Christmas dinner, Sonics.....just off the top of my head.

ps- I even hang out a few times with members here outside of the bimonthly meetings ( Tom and Chris for dinner, Kevin Lawson, Jason Phillips, JonA at Irwindale, been out several times helping support Randy's business out east, etc)

Russ? Where the heck have you been hiding? I have seen you once a few years back at a Chevy dealership in Crenshaw or something like that.
After you posted your comments.....
I only posted that to keep from posting something nastier....

"Get my dirift????"
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

In defense of Dean, our meetings are on sat night. Where is Dean most sat nights - crew chiefing at irwindale. Doing more advanced car stuff than anyone in the club.
He offered some meeting suggestions - one tongue in cheek - but his point was made politely.

This club is monotonous - every 2nd month on sat, unless some are busy, we meet at the same restaurant and do the same things.

Is a meeting room all that important. I have been involved in other clubs and some meets are at the same place some are moved around. Our So Cal Pontiac club has the same issues as So Cal 3rd gen, covers from the valley to san diego and east, almost impossible to make everyone happy. SCCPOCI would have meets at Mission San Luis Rey, Point Loma, locations in the valley - once at a ranch off ventura blvd where 100s of old cars were stuffed into barns. Sometimes we would meet up and caravan to the location. A 15-30 min business meeting was held in the parking lot.
Unfortunately most parks now charge, but having a meeting at a park and BYO food, it doesnt have to be a BBQ.

It boils done to the officers making decisions and living with it. Its obvious with this group that throwing out meeting ideas and waiting for a majority, or any vote, is gonna take longer than Don, Alan or I have left.

Actually, Deans roach coach in a dirt lot sounds like fun. We could probably meet some interesting people and score some low cost auto parts.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM

It boils down to...I personally think there is a lot of nice friendly people in this club and I have become acquaintances with quite a few of you. I know and love 3rd gen chassis platforms like the back of my hand, I wish I had mine still. Given room, I will build another in the future IF I do not get mine back.

I am just trying to motivate the club to do "more car oriented" gatherings. I like you guys, but I think of being around the group while doing car things. I go to racing events...period. It is fun to go to events with large groups of friends. I have that already at Irwindale, I am very well known there and have offered my knowledge to the group for helping in your event planning.

I think having group meetings at places like Edelbrock, Hotchkis, Stillen, CMC events for race veiwing, maybe going to the LA auto show as a group day (we do not all need to walk around together, but meet and mingle in little groups veiwing car stuff) things like thats....you understand- car stuff. Cars are not my whole life, nor should it be anyones, BUT when I do car things its fun to do it with other "car people" on those days. My girlfriend and I do minor things togetrher but that part of life I reserve more for "my time" with car friends like I do with crewcheifing. (ps- We got the shaft last night. We should have finished 7th of 35 with Derek DiSarro#24 but because of a transponder malfuntion in scoring we are currently placed in 21st and we set back several times unjustly on restarts. I have a protest filed.

Thank you to Jason for your help on the team last night. You were a big help and will ask that you consider yourself part of this team anytime you would like. Derek and I both spoke this morning and he wanted me to thank you again.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 AM

Dean thanks for letting me come out and work with you guys on the truck. I obsorbed quite a bit and had a great time and would do it again in a second. It sucks about the malfunction (and all the drama) since Derek could really have used the 7th place finish andd had the best running truck out there. You've got my email and number so whenever you need me you know how to get a hold of me.