Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Road course

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Road course

I wanted to know the location of an amateur road course that is located somewhere north of the pasadena area.

Someone in my auto shop class told me last semester but I forgot, I know it's not THAT far, within 80 miles I believe, it's in the desert, and you can bring any car you'd like and race. I want to know the name of it.

Thanks to anyone that can help me.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Trans Am - Sold
Re: Road course

Willow Springs

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/home/home.asp
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 RS
Engine: LO3 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Buttonwillow

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/
Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

OTR open track racing is renting Willow Springs in Nov. They are out there about every 2 months but normally on a Wed.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 PM

The guy from my auto shop class said you can just drive up there and take your car on the track, he didn't mention anything about specific dates, is there anything like this at either track? Or is it all class-oriented?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 RS
Engine: LO3 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by kkingsrulee
The guy from my auto shop class said you can just drive up there and take your car on the track, he didn't mention anything about specific dates, is there anything like this at either track? Or is it all class-oriented?
That isn’t accurate. In order to get your car on the track you need to either rent the track or come in with an organization that holds open track events from time to time. All you have to do is check the event calendars of both facilities, contact the organizations renting the track, and find out the particulars involved with getting your vehicle on the track (cost & vehicle specs). The price can range anywhere from $150-$350 for a day of racing.

From what I have experienced the price you pay directly reflects the caliber of the overall experience. The low end will offer you a less organized experience with little to know instruction or guidance from a professional instructor which by the way is crucial if you plan on taking anything away from an open track experience. The higher end will yield a 1 hour classroom experience before you ever touch the track, the option of having a professional instructor ride/drive in/your car around the track showing you how to maximize your vehicles performance in the turns, and more run groups (beginner, novice, intermediate, experienced, and expert).

I’ll be the first to tell you that the first time I was on an open track, I thought I was going to walk on water. I didn’t need instruction and I certainly didn’t need any classroom time. Yeah… about three laps in I was passed by a 300lb woman that had somehow shoehorned herself into a bone stock Mazda Miata. It was then that I realized that I didn’t know what I was doing and asked for help. That was about 10 years ago. I still can’t walk on water, but I've found that if you take the right lines you can skip across it…
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Goose
That isn’t accurate. In order to get your car on the track you need to either rent the track or come in with an organization that holds open track events from time to time. All you have to do is check the event calendars of both facilities, contact the organizations renting the track, and find out the particulars involved with getting your vehicle on the track (cost & vehicle specs). The price can range anywhere from $150-$350 for a day of racing.

From what I have experienced the price you pay directly reflects the caliber of the overall experience. The low end will offer you a less organized experience with little to know instruction or guidance from a professional instructor which by the way is crucial if you plan on taking anything away from an open track experience. The higher end will yield a 1 hour classroom experience before you ever touch the track, the option of having a professional instructor ride/drive in/your car around the track showing you how to maximize your vehicles performance in the turns, and more run groups (beginner, novice, intermediate, experienced, and expert).

I’ll be the first to tell you that the first time I was on an open track, I thought I was going to walk on water. I didn’t need instruction and I certainly didn’t need any classroom time. Yeah… about three laps in I was passed by a 300lb woman that had somehow shoehorned herself into a bone stock Mazda Miata. It was then that I realized that I didn’t know what I was doing and asked for help. That was about 10 years ago. I still can’t walk on water, but I've found that if you take the right lines you can skip across it…
Ah, alright so you pretty much have to go with an organization then.

Okay, thanks for answering the question, yeah man, I understand what you mean about the "not knowing how to drive" part, it'd be great to have an instructor teach me.

Thanks for the information