Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Racer dies at Funtucky

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
Racer dies at Funtucky

Drag Racer Killed During Test Run Saturday Morning in Fontana
AUGUST 8, 2009 - A 53-year-old man died when the custom-made dragster he was driving crashed into a parked trailer at the Auto Club Speedway, authorities said. The driver, identified as Ronald F. Marcum of La Habra, was performing a brake test when the dragster’s transmission suddenly engaged, propelling him into the parked trailer at more than 100 mph, according to the California Highway Patrol. After crashing into the trailer approximately 300 feet away, the dragster caught fire, authorities said. Emergency personnel pronounced Marcum dead at the scene. The accident occurred about 8:30 a.m. in a parking lot adjacent to the race complex’s pit area. At the time, an event called the Category Drag Races was taking place, the CHP said. Marcum was revving the engine at high RPMs during the test. At the same time, he should have been depressing a button that prevents the transmission from engaging, authorities said. According to National Hot Rod Assn. rules, a vehicle’s tires should be off the ground during such tests, but Marcum’s crew failed to follow those procedures, the CHP said. The CHP is investigating the dragster crash.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro RS
Engine: 305-LT1 swap
Transmission: 700
Re: Racer dies at Funtucky

wow thats pretty sad to hear.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darwin Award candidate.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Car: 1991 camaro RS
Engine: 305-LT1 swap
Transmission: 700

Originally Posted by Pyroviking
Darwin Award candidate.
thats pretty messed up man....but it was his fault
Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 AM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by third_genbowtie
thats pretty messed up man....but it was his fault
rules are in place for a reason... safety first.... although its crazy how the car got to 100mph in only 300 ft
Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Car: Z/28
Engine: 355
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I knew Ron Marcum for many years. His whole family has been racing since the days of the OLD Irwindale and Orange County international Raceways. He also use to work for and race for the old Service Center Performance Shops. He also worked at Tean C in Bellflower for awhile. I am surprised that the accident happened as described. He was very safety oriented. There could be more to the accident than is being told.
He was really great guy and a good racer who always would give a helping hand to anyone in need at the track. Drag racing has lost another Racer that always gave Drag racing a good name
A real loss to the Drag racing community. :-(

Last edited by RWB____s; 08-12-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Definitely sad ......but of his own doing and preventable.

Last edited by studdmstr; 08-12-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 PM

Thank you for saying that! He was an incredible person, my soul mate! My world stopped on Saturday August 8, 2009 at 8:57am when I was informed that My Marcum had been in a tragic drag racing accident at 8:32am. I can't begin to understand why this would happen, he and I had a deep unexplainable connection from the second we met, I loved him so very much!

T
I LOVE YOU MARCUM - ALWAYS AND FOREVER SUMPTEENG WONG
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM

Below is a link to a video that Ronnie's youngest sister Stephanie's Pastor made in honor Marcum's Memory.
Video Picture #2: I took and I can still hear him saying "But T I can't see" as I snapped the picture and I loved it so we ke...pt it.

Video Picture #3: Was the very first time I lined him up. Kevin Homard (standing next to me) had been working with me on it, it was so much fun!

Picture #4: I cropped from another picture I found because I thought he looked so HOT in that picture I had to have it!!

I LOVE YOU MARCUM - ALWAYS & FOREVER SUMPTEENG WONG

Love - T

http://wds.mp.advection.net/mp...iatv/_dld/ronnie.wmv
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Really?? Seriously enough!

I am Ronnie’s girlfriend and I drag myself off the couch, to the computer to attempt to have a small amount of comfort (as well as other family members of his, I am sure) by reading great stories regarding the man I love deeply, at a time where I am forcing myself to breathe and I was truly disappointed.

I honestly cannot believe how truly disgusting people can be at a time like this. I am more and more shocked each time I get on the computer, ever since I received the call that my world had stopped revolving and that this tragedy had occurred and I am an adult and can realize the stupidity and ignorance of some but yet still difficult to read, imagine if I were his child? I wonder if that might put thoughts into their head that may haunt them forever?

My God, it sincerely sickens me that people have the audacity to make flippant comments, without so much as a thought as to how it may have a horrible effect on those that are suffering so badly such as children, mothers, grandparents, wives, ex-wives, friends, etc. This is a terrible tragedy and you find it appropriate to slander someone who has passed on, who was an incredible person and not to mention a human being!!

Had you known him you would also know that, out of respect, he would never make a comment like that, on the internet for all to read, about someone who has not only passed away, but also on the off chance that that he just might someone's son, brother, father, husband, boyfriend, uncle, cousin, lifelong friend or have any relationships at all and if they saw it they would not only be grieving but now have to listen to this type of disgusting crap about their loved and add to their already incredible pain.

This is not a time for this! We should all be spending time honoring Ronnie Marcum! This is not about anything else but Ronnie Marcum, being respectful to all of Ronnie’s family and friends who are suffering! This is about what Ronnie Marcum would want and this is about reflecting on great memories of Ronnie Marcum!

Not a time for passing judgment on people, no matter who they are and what role they play in his life. Not a time for being petty or being concerned with who did what, when, right or wrong. Not a time for not for making accusations about others. Not a time for questioning why people are grieving, instead of admiring and appreciating the fact that he was a special, important person to a lot of people. Not a time to decide who does and does not have the right to grieve.

Life is too short and precious to be spending time on this sort of crap!! Did we not just learn that from the loss of a very special man, Ronnie Marcum??

TO All Flippant Comment Makers -You really should be ashamed of yourself!!

My love and thoughts go to:
Martha - Ronnie’s Mom (Thank you so much for what you said the other morning you cannot know how happy and comforted it made me!! Love You!)
Jessica & Julia - Ronnie’s Daughters
Gina & Steph - Ronnie’s Sisters
Jimmy, Tricia & Sam - Ronnie’s Nephew & Nieces
Angela - The mother of Ronnie’s children, with whom he shared 28 years
All of his extended family!! All of his many, many friends!!

I would also like to thank the Marcum Family for being so supportive while I have been such a mess, checking on me, feeding (trying to) me, ensuring that I am cared for as I continue to force myself to breathe and allowing me to be a part of your family so that I can feel close to Marcum it is very comforting!! I will always love you for that!!

Thanks -T (Marcum’s Significant Other)
I LOVE YOU MARCUM - FOREVER & ALWAYS SUMPTEENG WONG