Southern California Area Southern California Members.

good shop in or near Pomona

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TKO450
Axle/Gears: 4.10
good shop in or near Pomona

Hello all. In a couple of weeks I will be coming to California to buy a 92 Camaro RS. I have been talking back and forth with a gentleman in Pomona, and from what I can tell the car I in good shape, but had a couple questions for thos of you more familiar with this area. I will be driving the car back home to Illinois. I think this will make a good driver since my Formula isn't a very good street car anymore, sure is fun though. My questions are first, the car had to be smog tested before he could sell it, and it passed. IL doesn't test cars except I think around Chicago, so I'm not sure what all this envolves. I read about the testing on the internet some, and it sounds very thorough. To pass these tests, it sounds like the car has to be in very good running conditon, I know anything can happen on 2k mile trip, but would passing this mean it is a fairly reliable car, or can any hunk of crap pass. Again, I am unfamiliar with these tests, and don't know what kinds of cars can actually pass. My other question is if anybody knows of a good shop in the Pomona area. I see in some of the posts that Dyno Dons is a very popular shop and about 1/2 an hour away, but if he is very busy, getting a spot to change the oil, check the a/c, and just generally check out the car may be difficult. I will be bringing a laptop and aldl cable with the program used to tune my other car just to check everything out for myself, but would also like a good technitian to check the car out also. Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want to make it home with my new car under its own power, not dead in the water somewhere in Kansas. Thanks for any help. Ryan
Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Car: 88 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355 AFR-195 FIRST Fuel Inj.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: ??
Re: good shop in or near Pomona

I'm not familiar with Pomona area mechanics but as for if the smog check pass and whether that means it's reliable....that's a matter of opinion I think. If it passed smog, I would drive it to Ill. To me that indicates the internals are good, since the car is mixing and burning air and fuel in the right proportions. Just do a once over that the smog check doesn't cover, like drive belts, hoses, etc. Good luck
Old 05-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Send on a P.M. on this board. He is busy, but big jobs pay when the work is finished, he may need some smaller jobs that would help his cash flow in between the big jobs.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TKO450
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear, and what I kind of already thought about the smog check. I will also PM Don about the car. Thanks for your help. Ryan
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Though I believe it is TECHNICALLY illegal to do, I change my oil in the street, I live in an apartment so I do not have the luxury of a garage of my own (I'd kill for one) and I just do it in the street. It's preferred to find a residential street that won't have alot of traffic passing through and won't cause much attention.

As long as you bring something to store the old oil in you should be okay, you could take it to a local auto zone after you're finished and dispose of it there. You might want to ask the people whose house you stop in front of whether it's alright.