Southern California Area Southern California Members.

NEEDED: Reputable mechanic/shop in LA

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 (5.7L)
Transmission: 700R4 (Auto)
NEEDED: Reputable mechanic/shop in LA

Hey all...

I'm from NJ but am living in LA this month in West Hollywood...I drove out here with my friend in his 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue (3.5L V6, 74K miles)...the car made the trip flawlessly..however, the last 2 days an 'electrical gremlin' seems to have gotten hold of the car..

While driving...(from a stop) the 'anti-lock' light came on and the upon accelerating, the car felt extremely sluggish...almost as if you were stepping on both the gas and the brake simultaneously...it felt like this to about 25-30 mph before it felt ok...but the minute you guy under that speed *and also form a stop) the same symptons occur again...this is turn, was causing the temp gauge to rise as well..had to pull over after awhile to let it cool down..(checked radiator, all hoses and coolant tank - no cracks/leaks anywhere I can see). Removed cables from battery for 10 min to see if it 'tripped' anything, but that didn't work either. The strange part is...this has happened the last 2 days straight, but after about 30-40 min of driving, the car starts performing perfectly again...accelerating properly, no hesitation, no overheating issues...

the 'Traction off' light is also coming on randomly along with the 'airbag' light...

Since I am out of my home base..I need some help... can anyone tell me what they think this might be? I did some research and found some info that pointed to a faulty 'wheel speed sensor'. Does this sound right? Or is it an ABS sensor of some kind?

Can anyone please reccomend a good mechanic/shop in LA. Looking for someone that isn't going to rip off an out of state guy with New Jersey plates. I'm in West Hollywood, so something in the Hollywood, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Santa Monica, Venice, area would be great (but can be somewhere else if you tell me the shop is trustworthy).

I really can't afford to get ripped off on the repair, I'm living on a tight budget out here this month so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 (5.7L)
Transmission: 700R4 (Auto)
Re: NEEDED: Reputable mechanic/shop in LA

anyone??? I really need reccomendations for a reputable shop here in LA, I hvae to get this problem fixed soon....please help
Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

You are probably looking on the wrong forum. Virtually all of us here use Dyno Don for any work that we can't do ourselves, but he only works on rear wheel drive cars. His shop is not equipped for working on front wheel drive, and he has not been interested in learning about them. He has more work than he can handle doing just Camaros and Firebirds, with an occasional rear wheel drive "G-body" thrown in.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

Originally Posted by RiggsLW81
anyone??? I really need reccomendations for a reputable shop here in LA, I hvae to get this problem fixed soon....please help
As much as we'd like to help, none of us has much experience with traction control, which sounds like it's your problem. It sounds like your traction control is applying the brakes because it thinks a wheel is spinning. You should have a button on the dash/console somewhere to turn the damn thing off. Apart from that, I'd just pull all the connectors from the traction control module that the brake lines run to, usually in the drivers' side front of the engine compartment.

...but I'm just guessing.

TA
Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Don Lee Auto works on all cars, but he's an hour from you, out in Rancho Cucamonga.

http://www.donleeauto.com/