Southern California Area Southern California Members.

CA smog Nazis at it again

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
CA smog ***** at it again

Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties; Hearing Scheduled for April 1

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez (senator.florez@sen.ca.gov) to repeal the state’s current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California’s Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

We Urge You to Call, E-Mail or Fax Senator Florez and Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Oppose S.B. 1549

* Existing law in California exempts all pre-1976 vehicles from emissions testing.

* California’s current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1976 motor vehicles on emissions and air quality.

* Pre-1976 vehicles constitute a small and shrinking portion of the overall vehicle population in California and are a poor source from which to look for further emissions reductions.

* Pre-1976 antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained.

* Repeal of the exemption in the San Joaquin Valley could lead the Legislature to target other areas in the state in the future.

* Legislators and regulators are again feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes, as it has in previous amendments to the old car exemption!

Please phone, fax or e-mail Senator Florez to express your opposition to S.B. 1549. Senator Florez can be reached at:

E-Mail: Senator.Florez@sen.ca.gov
Phone: (916) 651-4016
Fax: (916) 327-5989

Please phone, fax or e-mail members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee to express your opposition to S.B. 1549

California Senate Transportation & Housing Committee

(Click here to email all Committee members)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Re: CA smog ***** at it again

Dean Florez is the same guy who either sponsored or wrote (I forget which) AB616 that was going to make us smog every year. I see he's at it again. I cant see how making less than 1000 vehicles in CA (I'm making the number up for simpleness), that are driven every once in a while, smog every other year is going to reduce emissions a noticeable amount.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is still all about appearing to do something, even if it is a totally useless jesture! Politicians all want to sponsor something to make themselves look good, serving any purpose or even being sensible is the last consideration for any of them!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Supreme Member

If you got to the sema site or get their email you can write one letter and it goes to all the committee members.

Even though I am not in his district I write anyway because all these idiots have higher asperations and I may get to vote against him some day.

I wonder if it includes model T's

Last edited by injdinjn; 03-18-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS

How would they smog an old vehicle that never had emissions on it to determine if it pass's fails?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 PM

They will just establish a number.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Its done very scientifically, they use a dart board and hidden numbers.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 red Z/28
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Pick a number out of the air and go with it...thats what they all do!!! LOL
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

So does that mean that cars like Jay Leno's Stanley Steamers need to get smogged? These politicians are too much. I'm afraid Kalifornia is in a downward spiral and won't recover. More people will be leaving the state for this and the other goofball laws they are passing.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 AM

Supposedly they cant smog test any vehicle older than 66 or 67 because those were the first years with smog control devices.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
Supposedly they cant smog test any vehicle older than 66 or 67 because those were the first years with smog control devices.
I think until 1968 or so the only smog device on any vehicle was the pcv. If you have a pcv, it passes. Where the problems will occur is in 1968 and newer that have the a.i.r. system. The guys that will have the most problem with this new law would be the Mopar guys. Mopar was playing with leaned out carbs to get past smog, and had driveability problems that were beyond belief.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

In the late 70's I bought a 57 Pontiac CA car.
In order to register it, I had to smog it and install a vacuum advance thermostatic cutoff.
On a 61 GMC, CA truck, I bought in 72 I had to install a PCV system getting 2 closed breather caps, remove the crankcase breather tube, drill a hole and mount a fitting in the air cleaner to run the PVC hose from one breather cap to the air cleaner.

Those idiots do whatever they want.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 AM

Car: 91 RS
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

wow, BS! the only reason im here is cuz im stationed in San Diego and i soon found out the rules and regulations suck. why do they care so much about our cars?? isnt california supposed to sink anyways? so who gives a crap.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Those of us who live here and call it home give a crap, thank you very much. CA is NOT going to sink due to an earthquake.

"They" care so much about emissions because this state is fully of hippie tree-huggers in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento, who believe the myth of global warming. So the politicians make it look like they're doing something by coming up with crazy rules, as Russ said. The rules they have come up with so far (catalytic converters and such) DO help, but they're focusing on the wrong targets. Its like having a broken arm but they put the cast only around your wrist. They need to go after the bigger polluters like diesel trucks, but those guys have more money and a bigger voice than we do. Not to mention truckers are in unions, and unions vote Democratic, and its the Democrats who are coming up with these crazy laws. We hot rodders are mostly conservative, so guess who's blamed?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Car: 2002 Camaro z28
Engine: LS1
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock, stock, stock

Hey now, don't blame the whole democratic party for a few local representatives who wish to make a name for themselves with new smog laws. I might be in the 5% liberal of hot rodders who are pro choice and anti war, but lets keep this on topic now.

...and for the record, I hug my catalytic converter, rather than trees.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Kind of hard to do when it's the democrats that keep introducing new smog bills all the time.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 PM

I totally agree on that point, but c'mon brosive--lets concentrate on what we have in common, rather than our differences. Let's keep this thirdgen related.

Last edited by brandotron; 03-23-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 AM

I never could figure out the logic of the early emissions equipment, IE: air pumps. The idea is to keep as much clean air as possible and pollute the least amount of air. So what do you do? Unnecessarily suck in extra "good" clean air through the air pump, and then send it into the already burned exhaust gasses in order to dillute the "bad" air! This just makes a larger volume of polluted air. Makes no sense to me! But as others have stated, it makes the politicians and the factories look like they are doing something even if it is wrong.

Have any of you seen the magazine articles talking about how the new Camaro and Challengers as well as maybe Mustangs and 'Vettes may have a very short future due to the new 35 mpg corporate average EPA requirement that the president signed into law that must be met by 2011? Some people are thinking that this could be the end of new performance vehicles and could drastically affect all of us too.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...

Originally Posted by basiccamaro
Have any of you seen the magazine articles talking about how the new Camaro and Challengers as well as maybe Mustangs and 'Vettes may have a very short future due to the new 35 mpg corporate average EPA requirement that the president signed into law that must be met by 2011? Some people are thinking that this could be the end of new performance vehicles and could drastically affect all of us too.
I don't think it will be the end of performance vehicles, but rather a redesign of them. The internal combustion engine is on it's way to becoming a dinosaur.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Motor Trend calls it "the end of the v8 muscle car". Apparently Ford has a supercharged v6 in the works for Mustang's future and it sounds like the fifth gen Camaro will have a "performance" v6 as one of it's options.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM

This has come up in the past. Ford Probe, anyone? Even the Camaro they were talking about a performance 6 rather than V8.

The V8 isnt going anywhere. It might get scaled back some, but there's no end I can see.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by basiccamaro
I never could figure out the logic of the early emissions equipment, IE: air pumps. The idea is to keep as much clean air as possible and pollute the least amount of air. So what do you do? Unnecessarily suck in extra "good" clean air through the air pump, and then send it into the already burned exhaust gasses in order to dillute the "bad" air! This just makes a larger volume of polluted air. Makes no sense to me! But as others have stated, it makes the politicians and the factories look like they are doing something even if it is wrong.
That's not how they work. The pump adds extra air to the catalytic converter to heat it up faster and help it do its job better. When it is adding air to the exhaust manifolds, it is adding free oxygen to the carbon monoxide molecules and helping them to form carbon dioxide instead. Carbon monoxide is unstable and forms from incomplete combustion. That is, when the cylinder has hot spots, knocks or pings, or has a misfire. The fuel and air mixture does not completely use itself up during the combustion process. When extra oxygen is added to the exhaust, the carbon monoxide reacts with the oxygen and forms carbon dioxide, which is less of a pollutant and is what plants breathe in to give us oxygen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide
Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Car: Trans Am/Kenworth
Engine: 383/435 Cat
Transmission: T5/10 speed

They need to go after the bigger polluters like diesel trucks, but those guys have more money and a bigger voice than we do. Not to mention truckers are in unions, and unions vote Democratic, and its the Democrats who are coming up with these crazy laws.
D@mn! Kevin your not happy with all the new laws there coming up with? Aside from fuel prices there trying to get rid of all owner operators all together.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

I wish they would go after everybody. Cars, Trucks, Trains, Planes, boats, etc.

Then maybe when this State comes to a standstill these A-holes will get their a$$ voted out of office. And these "green" govt agencies unfunded.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 89 TA
D@mn! Kevin your not happy with all the new laws they're coming up with? Aside from fuel prices they're trying to get rid of all owner operators all together.
All I know is, diesels have never had to do smog checks, and you can actually see the black smoke from their exhausts. All the while, we hot rodders are getting the screws turned against us with new laws and new tests every year. Its about time for someone else to have the blood squeezed from them. I'm about dry.

Our particular cars are not the problem. The problem is the overwhelming number of cars in this area. They cant legislate the population, unfortuneately.
I dont mind having to smog every two years, but the only test they should run is what comes out the tailpipe, not what's under the hood. And the test should apply to everyone, not just a select few.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 PM

And the test should apply to everyone, not just a select few.
At least we can still drive them. By Oct. of this year anybody with an 1989 or older rig wont be able to drive it anymore. By 2010 no more 1996 or older. Anybody (like me) that doesn't have a 2007 or newer will have to install a $20,000 parti. filter (muffler). Unions aint helping nobody but themselves. They cant tax contractars(?sp) so they are trying to pass a law that will get rid of owner operators and make us all com. drivers. A$$ Villavergoza already signed off on it. After receiving a $500,000 "contribution" from the cheapsters.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Just call it what it is, payoff. No sense beating around the bush and being nice over a scumbag.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM

Car: Suburban
Engine: 383 TPI Vortec

When they outlaw hot rods, only outlaws will have hot rods- Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

By Oct. of this year anybody with an 1989 or older rig wont be able to drive it anymore. By 2010 no more 1996 or older. Anybody (like me) that doesn't have a 2007 or newer will have to install a $20,000 parti. filter (muffler).
Thats a big hit but IMO they should have done something 10-15 years ago.
Maybe the truckers should stop at the CA border that would clean up our air and reduce the chinese products a bunch.

Now if they can do the same to the trains.

Last edited by Kevin91Z; 03-27-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Fixed Tom's quoting
Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a

OMG.. i thought Oregon was a hippie state.

BOTH of my hobbies are illegal in this state. cars and guns.

so someone explain this if you don't mind... why are older cars becoming illegal? are they changing the emissions standards so that they can no longer pass?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...

Originally Posted by Xophertony
so someone explain this if you don't mind... why are older cars becoming illegal? are they changing the emissions standards so that they can no longer pass?
Well, it appears as if they are slowly making it more annoying to smog older cars by piling on more test requirements.

The legislators are doing anything they can to show that they are making an effort to reduce smog. Stricter and stricter standards are being placed on the auto makers for new cars. If the new cars run cleaner, then the older cars must be the main culprits when it comes to smog. At least according to the goverment logic.

I also suspect it's a way to help keep the auto industry alive. The auto makers are upset because the emissions standards keep getting stricter, which makes cars more expensive to produce. That increased cost gets passed on to the consumer.

With new cars more expensive to purchase, fewer new car sales take place and people keep their old cars longer. However, if you make it tougher for people to smog their older cars, then they'll have to buy new cars.

In the end, it's just easier for the government to go after us than the trucking, train or shipping industries. Plus, those industries are vital to the CA economy. Don't want to upset the apple cart.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:34 AM

Trains are the most efficient way of shipping product over land. But they have to run on a track and they cant go everywhere. Dont go after the trains.

Bret has it right on the cars, though.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks

Kevin... you think global warming is a myth?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 AM

'manmade' global warming is.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: magflatoVE
Axle/Gears: 9" 411

By Oct. of this year anybody with an 1989 or older rig wont be able to drive it anymore.
where did you hear this one from? i looked all over the internet, but i did not find any info about this law
Old 03-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

"'manmade' global warming is." Dittos to that.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS

Hey, if it wasnt for Al Gore, we wouldn't have the internet!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ZT LSD with 3.42 - LS1 brakes

Originally Posted by TraviZ
Hey, if it wasnt for Al Gore, we wouldn't have the internet!

to Al Gore
Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 400Z28Racer
where did you hear this one from? i looked all over the internet, but i did not find any info about this law
We were told about it at work. You should find it under C.A.R.B, somewhere it also came out on the L.A. Times not too long ago. The Long Beach Mayor (forgot his name) didnt sign it so they are saying that he just cut his pol. career short. Or pick up mostly any trucker newspaper thats all they talk about. Arizona is starting to sound nice right about now.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, the liberals are trying their darndest to drive me out of Kalifornia. They just might succeed.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

We were told about it at work. You should find it under C.A.R.B, somewhere it also came out on the L.A. Times not too long ago. The Long Beach Mayor (forgot his name) didnt sign it so they are saying that he just cut his pol. career short. Or pick up mostly any trucker newspaper thats all they talk about. Arizona is starting to sound nice right about now.
I found it thanks
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,2859473.story
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

That increase in cargo is scary. As it is the 710 is almost trucks only now.

But most of those cargo truck are junk anyway.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cadillac
Kevin... you think global warming is a myth?
Yes I do, and this is why:
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_2004174.php

The climate is always changing, on its own. 30 years ago the media had everyone alarmed about a cooling trend. How come weather forecasters cant even get tomorrow's forecast correctly but they can tell you what will happen 20 years from now if we dont "do something now" ??
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 AM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342

Scientists know a little bit more now than they did 30 years ago. For instance better predicting the path of a hurricane.

One day, we'll shift the blame to the people who knew it was coming, but did nothing about it. Both the state and the environment.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III

How come weather forecasters cant even get tomorrow's forecast correctly but they can tell you what will happen 20 years from now if we dont "do something now" ??
I suggest you go to the california science center (i know "science" to you guys is believing the earth is 6000 years old and people and dinosaurs both hunted mammoths), and check out an exhibit where there are ***** being dropped above about 50 "lanes" equally spaced...its impossible to predict which individual lane the ball will fall after every drop...but after enough ***** are dropped, the pattern will always be a perfect bell curve.
There are also things called scatter factors and other "scientific mumbo jumbo"...but yes, lets put our faith into an editorial writer who I am sure is well qualified to discuss this issue.

Last edited by cali92RS; 03-28-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

what are you trying to say?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/w...e-temperatures

Read this article from last Sundays OC register. Some of the scientists quoted used to believe in man made global warming, not any more.
Someone got smart and tested the GW prediction programs by having them predict weather in the 1950s and 60s the results were wrong.
There is no proof of man made global warming, its hype propragated by those who are making money off it.
The only thing green about green products is the money they cost.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Ken and Julie, rather than posting unrelated alarmist nonsense, how about you post up proof of pollution being connected to temperature.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III

Originally Posted by madmax
Ken and Julie, rather than posting unrelated alarmist nonsense, how about you post up proof of pollution being connected to temperature.

How about I post all the articles i can dig up on the net that support GW, and you can post all the articles you can find denouncing the GW? Because internet articles, especially those coming from newspaper editorial sections are sure to be factual and non-opinion driven.
http://independencebaptist.org/6,000..._old_earth.htm
Theres one link right there, i am sure it is factual because i found it and posted it.

BTW, you say the "green people" are only in it for raising money for themselves. Have you ever thought that maybe people may look at you folks and may think you are turning a blind eye to scientific evidence because it is detramental to your hobby?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

just a side note: science is just theories and not facts.
GW is a natural behavior of earth. Did you know most of the Middle East was green 7000 years ago in and now most of it is desert ?do you think they were polluting the air and causing climate change 7000 years ago?

Quick Reply: CA smog Nazis at it again