Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Angeles Forest Highway Cruise March 15

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Angeles Forest Highway Cruise March 15

http://www.sc3g.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=706

For those that dont visit our club board as often as you should...
Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Re: Angeles Forest Highway Cruise March 15

The highway info link you posted says it's closed, some of it due to snow, and some of it due to storm damage(for a couple of years now, I think).

Didn't TheGooseman just lead a cruise along this route recently? If so, then I'd think he should already know if the road is closed or not. I'll be near the area on wednesday, so I'll check it out.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 03-04-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 AM

I'm hoping they'll have it open again in two weeks, otherwise we can just turn around. Or come up with something else.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342

I'm up for any cruise!
If angeles crest doesnt work, how about a desert cruise to SD county, again? I missed the last one, and I wonder when the flowers are blooming.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Car: 1990 IROC-Z VinCode8
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

I have been waiting for another cruise. Unless something comes up, you can count me in.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III

I wouldnt mind cruising in my silverado
Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

Sorry, thats the same day as the date nite car show at Enderle center in tustin.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...

I was just up at Angeles Crest this past weekend — Rancho Ybarra campground to be specific. The first half of the road in Sunland was fine. Several guys on bikes cruising thru there so conditions should be pretty good.

There's still the short washboard section just after you make the turn from Oro Vista, where the original road washed out a couple years ago. After that it's pretty smooth.

I didn't go too far in, so I'm not sure what the conditions are like farther up the road.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Here's the realtime, up-to-date report on the road conditions:

I was in Arcadia this morning, so to go home I took Angeles Crest Highway from the Shell station, which is the actual beginning point of the cruise. There's a sign down in that area that says the road is closed 35 miles ahead. I'd planned to take the road all the way to the Antelope Valley, but the road is, in fact, closed(36 miles up).

It took 45 minutes to drive up to that point, around 7000'(an area known as Snow Crest). And once I was there, I spoke to a man from CalTrans. He used to love cruising the road, too, so he also misses it and was very nice to talk with about the situation.

About two years ago during the winter storms, the road was completely washed out about 4 miles beyond this closure point, and it's still out, so there's no getting thru to Big Pines, Wrightwood, the 138, or anywhere else, period.

It's taking so long to re-open it because the initial plan to repave it changed to "installing" a bridge, and that's been the hold-up. The area is now ready for the bridge, but the bridge won't be set into place and the road re-opened for probably, at least, another year.

Regarding the 36 miles of road that are available, the road is clean and clear all the way up to the closure. There are a few wet spots(from melting snow runoff), but nothing significant, so no worries about those. There are occassional rock slides(more like gravel, so they're minor), but those are plowed regularly, so they shouldn't be a worry either. Around 5000', the snow begins to appear along the sides of the road. And by 6000', there's nothing but snow(a lot of it) all the way to the top. Newcomb's is within this area, so going there is no problem.

Those previously-mentioned 4 miles from this closure point to where the future bridge will be is currently closed for the removal of snow that still has the road buried. But the man said that part of the road is always closed all winter every year, so there'd have been no getting thru there before springtime anyway. The snow on the sides of the road up to this point are 5' to 6' high, and the drifts they're currently removing beyond this closure are even higher. But they expect to have all that snow removed by this friday, so by March 15, those 4 miles should also be available, and you'll actually be able to cruise up 40 miles before turning around, instead of the 36 that were available today.

I don't know how long your cruises typically are because I've never been along on one. Is 1 1/2 hours + lunch "normal?" It seems kind of short to me. But I guess with the to-and-from travel time for many people, maybe that length is ok. So if that works for everyone, and you enjoy the great views, seeing all the snow and the pine trees for that short time, then there ya go.

The area Brett referred to, if I understood his post correctly, is Lower Big Tujunga Canyon Road that runs from Sunland to Angeles Forest Highway(different than Angeles Crest Highway). This area has been a regular part of my commute for many years, so I know the roads very well. But it isn't part of this particular cruise. But yes, there's a very short area at the bottom that he called a "washboard," and it really sucks. That part of the road fell into the river wash about two years ago, so a "temporary" road was created thru dirt to divert you around the destruction. But there's been no effort at all to repair that road, so it looks like that "temporary" mess has become permanent. I'd avoid it with your thirdgens.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 03-06-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

No dyno pulls that weekend.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

You guys are confusing two different roads that intersect. Angeles Crest Highway starts at the Shell station and winds through the mountains to Wrightwood, but has been closed due to a huge slide several years ago. It will not be open anytime soon, but it's still a good run, as there is little traffic on it, and it goes a LONG way up before you have to turn around.

Angeles Forest Highway "T"s off of Angeles Crest about 20 miles up, and goes to Palmdale/Antelope Valley and the 14 Freeway. It is open, and although it is a sweet twisty mountain road, it is also a major artery for commuters on weekdays going from Palmdale to the LaCanada/Pasadena area. Also an awesome drive with some great views, and you can come back on I-14 to I-5 if you want. Both are some of the greatest roads to drive anywhere in the Los Angeles area, because they go primarily through the Angeles national forest, thus NO houses, 1 roadhouse in each road, and few stop signs and zero traffic lights. However, because car clubs and the Sport bike guys love to just rail those roads, they are pretty well patrolled by the CHP.

I'll be out of town, but enjoy whatever you guys do.

TA
Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

If you're talking to me, I don't have anything confused. So it must've been you who was confused by, or misread, my post. I drive those roads everyday, so trust me, I know what's what, and I got it right. Of course, if you weren't talking to me, then... nevermind, lol.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
The area Brett referred to, if I understood his post correctly, is Lower Big Tujunga Canyon Road that runs from Sunland to Angeles Forest Highway(different than Angeles Crest Highway). This area has been a regular part of my commute for many years, so I know the roads very well. But it isn't part of this particular cruise. But yes, there's a very short area at the bottom that he called a "washboard," and it really sucks. That part of the road fell into the river wash about two years ago, so a "temporary" road was created thru dirt to divert you around the destruction. But there's been no effort at all to repair that road, so it looks like that "temporary" mess has become permanent. I'd avoid it with your thirdgens.
That's the exact area I was referring to. That's the section of road I'm used to cruising. Tom Keliher and I would do speed runs thru there in our cars occasionally.

We also did the RSR cruise from there one year. Too many yahoos in Celica Supras doing wild passes and kicking up sand as they went by made that cruise a slight drag that year.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 PM
TA
Supreme Member

If you're talking to me, I don't have anything confused.

" I'd planned to take the road all the way to the Antelope Valley, but the road is, in fact, closed(36 miles up)".
LAFireboyd:

I was talking to everyone but ESPECIALLY you, as you are unclear and appear clueless here. The title of the tread is Angeles FOREST Highway cruise, and you were talking about taking a road to the Antelope Valley, then state that it is closed , when in fact the Angeles FOREST Highway is NOT CLOSED and goes directly to the Antelope Valley (Palmdale). This is not confusing, its wrong.

There IS a closure on the Angles CREST Highway at Islip Saddle that you go on about for six paragraphs, which is 25 miles in the wrong direction from both the Angeles FOREST Highway cutoff, and getting to the Antelope Valley, and is thus completely irrelevant to a thread about the Angeles FOREST highway cruise. If you know the difference between Angeles Crest Highway and Angeles Forest highway, you sure didn't pay any attention to which one the thread was titled.

My recommeded run would be to take the Crest another 15 miles or so past the Angeles Forest Highway cutoff, all the way to "9 mile" (Upper big Tujunga), which will take you down to Angeles Forest Highway a few miles north of Hidden Springs Tavern (a nice place for a sandwich and some apple cobbler, but parking is dirt), then you can either backtrack South on AFH to lower big T and into the SF valley or continue to ACH and back down to La Canada, or go North on AFH to Palmdale.

TA

Last edited by TA; 03-07-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Supreme Member

TA, I'd suggest you READ my post again(if you even read it to begin with). In the very first sentence of my first full paragraph, I clearly stated that I was on Angeles Crest, not Angeles Forest.

As for Kevin's title of this thread, just because he called the road by the wrong name(Angeles Forest), it was clear that he meant Angeles Crest, so I didn't feel it was necessary to correct him. It was in the link that he posted to the other message board. Did you check that out?

Next, if you get out a map of the area, you'll see that, upon coming down the north side of the mountain on Angeles Crest(if it were open all the way over the mountain), Angeles Crest joins with Big Pines Highway, which will take you back to the Antelope Valley. Get it yet?

There's also a Little Tujunga Canyon Road(my favorite of all the mountain roads), but it begins in Lake View Terrace and goes off in the opposite direction and doesn't fit this cruise route.

Next time, READ everything, including any posted links, before you post like you did.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 03-08-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 AM

Ok guys, lets keep it civil. I didnt know there were two roads, named Angeles Forest and Angeles Crest. I said Angeles Forest meaning the trees. But since Angeles Crest is closed, perhaps we could take Angeles Forest into Palmdale. I dont know where a good place in Palmdale is to stop for lunch or fun.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:36 AM

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Ok here is the starting point of the trip.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/4530+An...CA+91011-3201/

We meet up at the Shell Station at 9:00 ,probably on the small street next to it so we dont have to cram in the gas station, tank up get what ever you want from the food mart and then leave. Oh and that small street its to the left of the gas station if your facing it.

As for the roads being closed off, what I usually do is just drive up until I hit where the road is closed off. The last time I hit about seven thousand feet, I had the t tops off and got a good tan out of it. My idea was to go up and come back down the same way, but Im open to new things. As for food we can stop off at Newcombs Ranch for lunch as a possibility and as for later umm... well we will think of something. Actually if you guys want and have never been to the Bobs Big Boy in Burbank, they have a car hop on Saturdays where they will serve you at your car and it has that old look to it and could be a good photo shot of all our cars. Sooooo thats just an idea.

Their is still a week left to the day so if there are any suggestions post away. So on Saturday lets just cruise and have fun!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

I don't know of any interesting places to have lunch in Palmdale, Kevin. I rarely spend anytime in Palmdale, unless it's at Chili's or Outback. And, personally, I don't find anything up here interesting, so I'd say it's not worth coming all the way up here. But there are some other legs that could be added to the cruise by heading part of the way up here, keeping the same starting point and the Angeles Crest 'first leg.' So if you do want to extend your cruise by a couple of hours, there are a couple of routes I could suggest.

I could mention just the road names to keep the post short(er). But having some descriptions might help with your choices. Either way, though, it would be a very long post. But since I can't be there(I work on saturdays), I can only tell you about it this way. So if you want to know, I'll be glad to post it. It's already typed and saved, lol.

Tell you what... I'll PM it to you first.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

I dont know where a good place in Palmdale is to stop for lunch or fun.
The LACR site and cry.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, I PM'd Kevin and thegooseman a "bookful" of notes, but to try to make it simpler, I did some sketching. I almost got the entire area from the 14 to the 15 on one 8 1/2 x 11 page, but the final leg of the easterly route didn't quite fit. So it's on the smaller map. Eh, so I'm not the best photoshopper, lol.

Beginning with the original route(sketched in blue) and extending on it, I drew-up two other possible routes off of that: an easterly route(sketched in black), and a westerly route(sketched in green).

The easterly route is pretty simple, basically going over, around, then back up the mountain range and ending at the 15 freeway. From there, it should be easy for everyone to go home.

But the westerly route has a few different routes that could be taken from the Acton area to the Canyon Country area. I've only sketched one of those, but the others can be seen on the map. They all sort of run parallel, almost overlapping in some places, so any of them will work. But whichever is taken, they all take you to the same place, the final leg, Sand Canyon Road/Little Tujunga Canyon Road, with the run ending near the Hansen Dam Recreation Area on Foothill and Osborne, just off the 210 in Lake View Terrace.

So from here, people can escape on the 210; or the 5 and the 170 are also in the area, just a few blocks south of there. Also, from here, you'll be in the San Fernando Valley. So if people wanted to hit Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, it'll be a quick trip down the 170 to the 134 to Burbank.

All of these roads are well-maintained, fun to drive, and scenic, with the final leg of the westerly route, Little Tujunga Canyon Road, being the most challenging and fun! During this last year, that's become my favorite route out of the valley when I head home every night--and it's even better in that direction, heading north away from the valley! Heading north, it has, what I call, a straight down, 2nd gear, double hairpin turn that has an amazing view! Obviously, y'all will be heading south, so you'll be going up that section of road.

I've driven all of these roads during this last week, so I know they're all open and clean(except, of course, for the big closure that's forcing the turn-around). Also, there's gas and food in a few places along all of the routes, so that shouldn't be a worry for anyone either.

I hope you can read my doodling, lol.

*Edit: and I just noticed I left off the name of one of the roads along the westerly route. The vertical road that connects Soledad Canyon Road(below the 14) and Sierra Highway(above the 14) in Acton is Crown Valley Road.

*Another Edit: and for a mileage "ballpark," the original route, alone(just up and down) would be about 70-80 miles, and the other routes are each probably about 150 miles(give-or-take 10).
Attached Thumbnails Angeles Forest Highway Cruise March 15-mountaincruisewest.jpg   Angeles Forest Highway Cruise March 15-mountaincruiseeasta.jpg  

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 03-10-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 PM

Thanks to the help of LAFireboyd and my friend Justin we put together a route for saturday. We would start at the Shell station in La Canada.(1) Head up Angeles Crest Highway to the Islip Saddle turnout.(2)(because that is where the road is closed). Then head back down and then turn right onto Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd.(3) Then make a left on Angeles Forest Highway(4) and then a right back onto Angeles Crest Highway(5). Then finish back at the Shell station.(6) The drive in total is about 85 miles and should take any where from 2.5 to 3.5 hours depending on how many stops and whatnot.
Open to suggestions this just seems like a lot of fun and something different. And if you guys want we can go to Bobs Big Boy on Riverside Dr. in Burbank afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails Angeles Forest Highway Cruise March 15-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 AM
TA
Supreme Member

My original point was that you guys were confusing the two roads, and I was right. If we have to do detective research on other websites to try and figure out what you're talking about and why your post makes no sense, you really need to re-think your communications skills. The last time I went on the other site, my computer crashed, so I don't.

Both Azusa Canyon road and Angeles Crest are now closed at the same place. Azusa Canyon has been closed for over 20 years, ACH to Wrightwood/Antelope Valley route has now been closed for 3 + years, for exactly the same reasons. I have seen no evidence of construction or repairs north of the closure. Anyone who knows these roads knows that if you're going to the Antelope valley on them, you're taking Angeles Forest Highway, no other route currently exists, will exist or has existed for years. Judging by Azusa Canyon, it's likely to be closed permanently.

Maybe the cruise will stop at Newcombs for a snack (full bar, decent pancakes, plenty of paved parking near the tree), it's about 8 miles up ACH from the Upper Big Tujunga Tee, just past Chilao.

Or the cruise can stop as I said before at Hidden Springs after the left turn onto Angeles Forest from 9-Mile, (about 2 miles down on Right just after a right hand turn) have a bowl of Otis' excellent Chili or a burger, and watch the hummingbirds on the patio. Very serene compared to Newcombs, but dirt parking.

A word to the wise, be mellow and watch for cops, they are everywhere on weekends. Sportbike crashes are common up there because many ride like jerks, just use pullouts and wave 'em by, or many will make very dangerous passes that could involve you in a wreck. If you see riders tapping the top of their helmet, it means there is a cop ahead. Also make sure and turn on your headlights between the bottom and the Angeles Forest highway cutoff, as it is a posted headlight zone and there is often a Sheriffs unit below the first ranger station that writes tickets for that all day long. Speed limit between the bottom and Red Box (turn off to Mt. Wilson) is 45, and it's 55 everywhere else.

The views and scenery are unmatched anywhere in the Los Angeles area, if you haven't been up there, you'll be amazed that this magnificent forest is just 15 minutes from downtown LA, but a lot of the turns have 100+ foot drop offs, so make sure and stay on the road. Also, make sure and gas up at the bottom, there is no gas available on the route you're taking, and the uphill slog uses quite a bit of fuel. Once above Newcombs, traffic and cops thin out, so, uh, gas mileage goes down for some reason. There are some tricky corners up there (squids leap!) and snow runoff/gravel/potholes and even some ice here and there if it's cold, so don't push your luck.

Have fun, be smart.

TA
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM

Do we have a head count for how many people are going on this cruise?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Well Im definietly in even if I'm by myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 L98 G92
Engine: Modded L98
Transmission: Modded 700R4
Axle/Gears: Modded 10-Bolt

I dont know where a good place in Palmdale is to stop for lunch or fun.[/quote]
If you exit I-14 at Rancho Vista Blvd you will find a few places for lunch, close to the freeway.
Bill
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TA
My original point was that you guys were confusing the two roads, and I was right. If we have to do detective research on other websites to try and figure out what you're talking about and why your post makes no sense, you really need to re-think your communications skills.

Dude, my post was perfect. It was you who were wrong about your interpretation of it. It's really that simple.

-----------------

Getting back on topic: thegooseman, saturday's weather is supposed to be a little on the cool side, with a slight chance of rain. Rain isn't a certainty, though, so it probably won't. But just in case... I hope no one leaves the t-tops at home!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 AM

Don and I are in. I'm not sure if we'll have one car or two. Make sure you bring your FRS walkie-talkies if you have them.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Dude, my post was perfect. It was you who were wrong about your interpretation of it. It's really that simple.
Perfect? On this thread, you were off topic, exactly as if someone posted a thread asking about their FRONT brakes and you went on for 6 paragraphs on their REAR brakes, never mentioning that you knew that he had really meant rear brakes. If you had mentioned that in your post, it would have been upgraded from useless and highly irritating to dated but useful information for this thread.

Only 3 words in you use "realtime" which is a misspelling of two words that should be hyphenated. Perfection doesn't require that I "interpret" any further.

Do you have a photo or shrine of yourself that you pray to, oh lord of perfectness?

I'm done wasting time on this, you will refuse to see that you don't want to see, and I think I've irritated everyone enough for this episode. Have a perfect day.

TA
Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

let it go.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TA
I'm done wasting time on this, and I think I've irritated everyone enough for this episode. Have a perfect day.

---------------

To all who are cruising... as of this morning, the weather forecast had been changed to snow in the early morning, with a 40% chance of thunderstorms during the day.

So you might get to see some freshly-fallen snow, which will be pretty cool.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 AM

Car: Trans Am/Kenworth
Engine: 383/435 Cat
Transmission: T5/10 speed

Anybody have a TPI powered snowmobile?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by ringo234
let it go.
Yes please, drop it. You two are still arguing over a misunderstanding that was cleared up three days ago. Grow up and get over it.

I hope it doesnt rain! Or snow!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

As far as I'm concerned, Kevin, there was never anything to clear-up. And if there was, it had already been cleared-up, like you said. But apparently TA disagreed(and still does).

People, whether they be child or adult, disagree... that's life. So TA had every right to express his opinion. But by most standards, he was out-of-line in the way he delivered it(similar to another member who is frequently banned from these forums because of the way he delivers his opinions, lol).

So all I've done is justify my statements and defend myself from a very offensive, personal, open-forum attack, which I should've had every right to do. And I've handled it in a decent manor, while I've continued to try to keep this thread moving along by constructively contributing to it. And I've kept a sense of humor thru it all, lol.

AFAIK, no one's "cried" to you, or anyone else in an authoritative position thru a PM, to take any kind of action on the situation, even though I've read of many people on these, and other, message boards crying over far less.

I'd agree that it should've taken place privately, but as I said, since he attacked me in an open forum, I felt I had the right to defend myself in that same open forum. So... back at you for your own open-forum comment, lol.

But yes, it's past time to move on. And it does, in fact, look like you will have some fresh snow to deal with. I wouldn't think it would be a lot, but in these mountains, you just never know. I'd love to be there, too, but I work on saturdays. So y'all have fun!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM

I just got a call from Magnaflow and my car will not be ready for pick up today.
My car will be ready some time next week so I won't be able to make it. Have fun and bring back some pics.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM

Car: '06 GTO, '55 Suburban, '66 Sunbeam

Be careful guys, the CHP has stepped up patrol up there the last few weeks do to some activity. I also highly suggest getting up on the road EARLY in the morning to avoid traffic.

Love the road, grew up in Pasadena and have driven it probably 200-300 times
Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 PM

LAFireboyd, "drop it and get over it" does NOT mean "make one more post to make sure you get the last word in." It means stop talking about it completely and get back to the topic of the cruise.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: ZT LSD with 3.42 - LS1 brakes

I wont be able to make it... I've never driven those roads before and was thinking that it would be fun in my 3rd gen... But they tell me today that I have to work tomorrow... Oh well... have fun everyone who does go!!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342

I drove up Palos Verdes on Tuesday, my day off and it was SO GREEN and amazing!
The mtns must be great too.

I bet it won't rain or snow or whatever tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

This doesn't look good to me....I think I'll pass.
THE MAIN IMPACTS OF THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER TEMPERATURES...GUSTY WINDS...AND LOW SNOW LEVELS. BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON... SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO BETWEEN 3000 AND 4000 FEET ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS...EVENTUALLY DROPPING TO AROUND 2500 FEET SATURDAY NIGHT. THE LOCAL MOUNTAINS COULD RECEIVE A FEW INCHES OF NEW SNOW... AND THERE IS A STRONG LIKELIHOOD OF SNOWFALL ACROSS INTERSTATE 5 NEAR THE GRAPEVEINE. DUE TO THE POTENTIAL LOW SNOW LEVELS... THERE COULD EVEN BE LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE ANTELOPE VALLEY...CUYAMA

VALLEY...AND FOOTHILL COMMUNITIES.

Last edited by Dyno Don; 03-14-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Car: 91' RS Camaro
Engine: 305c.d. Toilet Bowl Injection

I "was" in but after seeing dyno don's post I just may reconsider. My brakes suck right now, and with ice and snow I'm not sure it would even be that safe.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

I was planning on following Don and Kevin but I guess I'll wait until next time.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 AM

Well I'm still going and from what I heard its not supposed to rain till tomorrow night.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

I don't know when the bad weather is supposed to begin, but it's an absolutely beautiful morning, from what I can see!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Well the rain was so bad(sarcasim) it was actually a beautiful day. It took 87 miles and three and a half hours. We had a few stops and had lunch at Newcombs Rach. The food was really good. Like I said its was a beautiful day and I did take lots of pictures, so I really wished you guys would of come.

and here are the pics

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...geles%20crest/
Old 03-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks

Nice looking pics. It looked like the weather could have changed at any moment though. You got all the luck!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

Very nice pictures. Looks like you had a good trip.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Hey, gooseman, sorry I brought-up the weather, man. If I hadn't, people probably wouldn't have looked into it further, and they'd have shown up to join you for what turned-out to be a very nice, but cool, morning. I hope you enjoyed your drive. I know I always do when I'm up there.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Dude dont worry about it, I had fun.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Were you the only one? Sorry, Don didnt want to go because of the weather and my car needed some tuning still, so I worked on that and it should be ready for the dyno.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 AM

Dont worry about it Kevin. I was origionally going to go up by myself, I just wanted to include you guys.