Southern California Area Southern California Members.

junkyards

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
junkyards

are there any good junkyards around the L.A area that has a pretty good selection of camaro parts, all the ones near me suck they have about 50 cars each with no camaros to look at so anything will help if you have any ideas let me know
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Re: junkyards

There are yards all over So Cal, but Third Gens tend to get picked over quickly, so if someone responds to you on this thread about a Camaro at a particular yard, you are probably too late. I think generally your best bet is probably Wilmington where there are two yards right close to each other near Anaheim Street. The other option is to contact Thomas *** at House of Camaro, or Dave Staubli at Third Gen USA, both are listed in the "Third Gen Friendly Companies" sticky at the top of this page. They will both be more expensive than pap yards, but the parts will be in excellent shape and cleaned up ready to install when you get them.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

There are actually 3 good junkyards close to each other in Wilmington. Off the 405 Fwy at Wilmington exit, go south. The road dead-ends about 4 miles down, make a left (Lomita Blvd) and it will be on the corner right up ahead of you.

The other two are about 2 blocks away. leaving the first junkyard, go South again until you hit PCH, then go East about 6 blocks to Blinn Ave. Take a right, and after about 600 Ft, the First available left (across from park) is a junkyard.

Going the North on Blinn from PCH, where the pavement ends, make a left into the pick-your-part parking lot. Each yard charges $2 for entry, and they rotate their inventory. Keep in mind that mechanical parts are common to Firebirds, too, so don't restrict your search to Camaros unless it's for body parts.

TA
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM

I would just go to http://www.pickapart.com/ on there 50% of days so if there something you want, its cheap as can be. I went to sunvalley in feb for 50% of day but the only thing i wanted was 72 pontiac 400 or 455 engine but i had no way of getting it home .Also the place will be packed with people. As for selection the sun vally yard had about 10 f-bodies there but unless u need a fender, door or bumper, rear end posi unit there pretty much shells. Two of them still had a 305tpi with the bottom manifold and runners but no top plenum. Other then finding those parts you will probably spend two bucks just to walk around the yard.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro IROC
Engine: V8 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

if you ever go to ontairo area... Cherry St. Rd. Ave. (i forget which it was) has quite a few big yars... i used to use them when i lived in the area...
Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 255 Likes on 190 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

The San Fernando Valley has two big yards that I visit every couple of months. They each usually have a lot of Camaros and Firebirds, and "scores" are usually always excellent. It's been a couple of months since I've checked them out, so now is probably a good time to pay them a visit. Over the last couple of years, I've probably pulled enough very nice parts from these two yards to build an entire car.

One's a PYP(Pick Your Parts) on Pendleton at Glenoaks, and the other is a UPP(U Pick Parts) on Penrose at Telfair. They're only a few blocks from each other in Sun Valley, right off the 5 freeway.

More "locally," there's a private yard just before you get to Mojave. It's just kind of... out there right along the 14, on the east side of the freeway. You'll have to take dirt roads to get to it. I've only been there once, but, surprisingly, there were more thirdgens than I expected to find.

The Ecology in Lancaster(on 90th St. East) rarely has anything decent or fresh. But I've occassionally found something good there, so it's always worth the $2 walk-thru every few months. Just don't take along any expectations.

Unlike Lancaster, the Ecology in Adelanto(on the 395) usually does have a decent supply of Camaros and Firebirds. But like Lancaster, the stock doesn't change very often. But I've found good things there, too, so it's also worth a visit every few months.

On my last visit to Adelanto(maybe a month ago), there was a 4thgen with a PBR disc rear. It wasn't a posi, but the PBRs were excellent. Someone had pulled the rotors, but left the backing plates and the PBRs! They're probably gone by now, though.

If you go to Adelanto, but then you feel like going for a bit more of a drive over to, and down, the 15, there are two good Ecologies close to each other: one's in Rialto, and the other is in Fontana. I suspect one of those is the one Drew is talking about in his post.

Happy hunting!!!