Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Christmas in Compton

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z/28
Engine: 355
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Christmas in Compton

1st this post was taken from another Forum. Its about Street racing in Compton. It from last December and sounds like the Street Racers are trying "again to open up TI raceway for the Hard Core Street Racers. Its fun reading . Enjoy

X-mas race was off the hook. Some people showed up as early as 7AM, but most racers were there by 11AM. Some testing went on @ 10AM. Gary was out there with what looked like an old stock Mustang, busting some peoples asses. By noon the first big race was a rematch between Will SBC powered tubbed LUV truck and Alameda Kid's SBC powered mini tubbed '63 Nova and the X-mas races were underway. By 12:01 the first cop showed up disrupting the race. The cop was actually cool, and asked when Terminal Island was going to open, it seems he used to Low Ride there in the 90's before he was a cop. He understood that nobody wanted to race on the street, but there were really no alternatives. He wished us Merry X-mas, but to take it somewhere else and good luck with our efforts on re opening Brotherhood Raceway. Everyone went to Mickey D's, there must have been at least a dozen or more cars on trailers from all over So Cal plus all the cars that drove in. It looked like 1,000 people or more. There were guys we recognized from as far as San Diego, Temecula and Palmdale. Speedy was there with his open challenge to any SBC powered car, he would bring out his LUV and go toe to toe, mano a mano, motor for motor heads up racing, he got no takers before the cops came. It didn't take long before we were kicked out by the cops. We all went to Strawberry Hill (not the real name) to re group. The cops there said they didn't have a problem with us if we didn't park in Fire lanes and as long as they didn't get any calls from the merchants. If that happen then they would have to do something about it. Next big race, JJ was going to race Gilbert's buddy's blown F. I. Mustang, at the 2nd location, but that race was interrupted by cops. While that was going on, the Gypsy's got a race with a Bronco on a trailer. Fonzie's Chevelle had problems and lost to the Bronco. We regrouped near the 1st location where the mini bikes on nitro were racing. Cops came, and we went to a nearby industrial complex where Cripple Kevin Locked up a race with JJ. We waited a bit and went to the 1st location and the race was on, both cars left good, Kevin's car got sideways but straightened out and won. Fox News was there to capture the race, and were going to do a story on what is taking so long with Terminal Island, the street race problem still exists, even with these stricter laws, and all the laws have done is make racers run from the cops, making a dangerous situation even more dangerous. (the News also honored the deal - not to name the area we were in) The News room killed the story and sent the crew to go do a story about a man who was holding his family hostage, but said they would like to do an in-depth story later. We were on the street a long time before a cop helicopter came and told us to get lost, so half regrouped at Strawberry Hill and the other half at industrial complex. The Alameda kid was locking up a race with Armenian's, Henry's BBC powered GTO on a trailer. But no sooner did it get locked the cops came to the industrial complex. Half of the people there got away but a least 20 of us were not so lucky. Todd was placed under arrest, with handcuffs and all. The rest had to put there hands on the hood. There were a few in the complex parking lot, we were moving our cars parking them out of the handicap zone just in case they decided to give us parking tickets, and then went to turn ourselves in (they blocked all exits). They drew their guns on us, and gave orders to assume the position on the hood of their car. They had enough cop cars and cops to take us all in, so we all figured we were going to jail. They asked us if we knew each other, and we said yes, then they asked if we could name each other, and we said no. We told them we all know each other but we did not necessarily know each other by names. The cop scratched his head. They questioned us individually and we all had the same story, "we have permission from the guy who works here, how do you think we got the gates open" the cop asked "what's the guys name who gave you permission?" All the answers were the same, " I don't know his name." The cop asked, "Where is this so called guy that gave you permission?", all the answers were from, "I don't know", to ,"he went to another location to watch a race", cop asked, "Then what are you doing here?", all the answers were the same, "street racing, sir" (it doesn't pay to lie to the cops, especially since there is a car on a trailer there and some of us are wearing Brotherhood of Street Racer Jackets) The cop asked me if the Brotherhood was a club, I replied, "no", that it was an organization to get street racers off the streets. The cops sat all 20 of us down on the curb, and told us this was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard, all us had the same story and none of us know the name of said individual who said we had permission to be on the property, too ridiculous to be made up. Another thing that was odd was that our ID's showed that we were from Lancaster, Palmdale, SFV, San Gabriel Valley, Whittier, Harbor City, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Riverside, San Bernardino, Hemet and Temecula. Out of 20 people there was only a few who where from Compton. He could not believe that there were a lot of people who where some 90 miles away from home on Christmas. He told us he could arrest us on trespassing, and attempted burglary if he wanted to be a ####, or he could let us go and then nail us when we got off private property and find the most minute thing wrong with our cars and take our cars. One cop asked why I had a card from the news media, I told him I am part of the Brotherhood of Street racers and they were here to do a story on Terminal Island. He asked me if anyone there could validate my story, and I said no, 'cause the news was there but didn't want anybody showing off to the camera so they recorded in secret and nobody there know about it. The Sergeant asked me, "do you really think one track will make a difference, didn't they just open up a dragstrip?" I responded with "hell ya it will make a difference, Sir," "the major difference between Brotherhood Raceway and NHRA Dragstrips is you don't turn down anyone to race, you suggest they make their cars safer, but the track caters to street racers and it's purpose is to get people off the street and promote harmony among gangs, law enforcement and people alike." The Sergeant went on to give us a 10min lecture. He warned us not come back and was going to let us go. During all this we missed Cripple Kevin racing KC's twin turbo SBC Grand National. KC won with is 1000hp to the rearwheels GN. We went to Strawberry Hill to hear about the race we missed while we told of our own adventure. Well, the cops came and told us to get lost, so we went to Krispy, but the cops were already there, and said don't even think about it. Everyone went to the industrial complex, except for those who got a break and were warned not to come back (plus the fact we were in the computer with such a warning, so getting stopped there again meant, "do not pass go, go directly to jail" card). So we waited elsewhere. The next race was an '84 Camaro against a Honda. The Honda barely lost. Now it was around midnight, and the next race was the Alameda Kid with his friends Nova against the Bronco's buddy's trailered Mustang. While waiting for this race a kid in a Honda came racing by in the wrong direction at @ 70mph, hit the railroad tracks and got about 3 feet of air before spinning out. He lost both front and rear bumpers. Kid was all right, but nobody could stop laughing and compared it to the Fast N Delirious. We were there a long time but just as the cars were going to get off the trailer, the cops showed up, so we went to the body shop. We checked for cops, and cops we did find. Two were up the street just waiting with their lights off, and one was with a customer. We called it a night 1:30AM and figured on finishing the race during the week. Racing went on to the next day with the Gray Boys SBC powered 260Z having a race set up from the night before. Don't know the out come. The cat and mouse game between the racers and the cops was more this year than last, but it costs money to keep chasing us out of town. Money which could be better spent by the city. It also keeps the cops from doing real police work by having to deal with us "felony traffic offenders." I feel sorry for wasting the cops time. Counting the days for T. I. to open. See Ya Next Year
Old 01-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

I would be surprised if TI ever opens. Any property on TI is probably worth as much as property on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. The street racers need a place to race, but I doubt if anything will ever happen on TI.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

This is just one of the problems with having a new mayor in office.
Now, you will need a new study on it.
Will the Police back it?
Probably not, after all, they can now take away your car, and give out heavy fines.
Who wins if they set up a track? Racers.
Who wins if they don't? Cops, Lawyers, Citys, Insurance Companies.
I'm just glad that I was a part of history, racing there when it was open!

George
Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
I guess that's one way to do it, just keep driving to different locations with vehicles on trailers, keeps the cops busy, they dont have time to issue tickets to the general population so cuts in on the Cities income.

My first legal DR was at brotherhood, at night, driving someone elses car.
They closed TI the week I put the engine in the garage queen.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

So far,
Palmdale is the only track that they haven't closed yet, that I've been to!
Yet.

George
Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Palmdale is going to close in the next two years...

Then we will have Irwindale and Fontana to handle all these racers. And they wonder why people street race?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Kevin91Z
Palmdale is going to close in the next two years...

Then we will have Irwindale and Fontana to handle all these racers. And they wonder why people street race?
You also have Banning and Perris too. Perris may go full 1/4. They already have the plans to do it.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:47 AM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342
Why don't we do a great big cruise to protest? It makes a big stir when a few dozen 3rd gens go down the coast, how about a couple hundred hot rods? There wouldn't be as many arrests, if people went in the daytime and at speed limit.

(Well, OK, maybe I just want to go cruising.)
Old 01-26-2006, 06:00 PM

Car: 98 z28
Engine: ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: soon to be 3.73's
man, thse guys are serious. I went to a street race, yeah i know i'm the young one in the group and it's typical, in compton and we all met up at a home depot. There was like fifteen trailored cars with full tubbed chevelles, camaros, novas, mustangs. All of them were caged. Those guys were serious about racing. You know it's the real deal when the guy jumps into a firesuit before he does the car.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Spent alot of my time when I was "younger" racing in Lynwood, Southgate, Compton, Inglewood, raced at the Old Irwindale raceway, OCIR, really shows my age Brings back alot of fond and fun memories.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:45 PM

Car: 98 z28
Engine: ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: soon to be 3.73's
I can honestly say though, now that everyone and there mom likes to street race, it has become extremely dangerous. I remeber when my older friends went street racing, say 5 years ago and i wasn't even able to drive, there would be like 20 cars 50 people. Everyone road alone, there was a mile long uninterupted strip, and everyone's car was up to par. The last time i hit up compton and main, there was probably 100 beat cars, 400 people running around, and they brought their freinds with them as they raced. The thing that really did it was when i saw a guy with a 93 sentra, bumpers dragging, clutch slipping, race with his family in the car. I'm talikng wife, two kids and a baby. That's when i called it quits. I won't go back now. I heard that the next week, a honda was screwing around, spum out and hit a pole. It was totaled.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 PM

You have to be privy to the times and places of prearranged races of the big guns. They dont like going with the local population unless they know who they are. Keeps the risk factor down "alittle".
Yep its not like it use to be. Back in the late "70's the fast "Street" cars ran mid 10's to low 11's through the mufflers and on REAL street tires! Not the quasi D.O.T. slicks and Drag Radials they have now. The cars were light weight Chevy Nova's, Vega's, Camaro's, Mopar Valiant's, Dart's, Ford Fairlane's, falcon's with full interiors. Most ran without NOS. But were constantly accused of squeeze because they ran so good and looked so average (sleeper). I'm depressed Any body with a time machine?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Base Firebird
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44
I'm depressed Any body with a time machine?
sign me up.. I'd do anything to go back in time to cruise and run the quarter at Lions..
Old 01-28-2006, 01:40 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Originally posted by 90firebird
sign me up.. I'd do anything to go back in time to cruise and run the quarter at Lions..
Add me to the list
Old 01-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
Hey...don't leave me out
Old 01-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Sorry, you need a DeLorean for a time machine, not a thirdgen.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

I remember Lions!
My first time watching a drag race live!
First race I saw, two jet cars!
The one that was fastest, had the chute drop right in the flames, and go up in smoke! He was going almost full speed right into the sand pits!
At the end of the race, as we drove out, at the back, we drove right where they were still digging the driver out!
He died 9 months later!
If I ever get behind the stick/wheel of a jet, it'll have wings!
I remember trying to watch movies at the drive in, right there in Long Beach, and over the speakers you could hear the cars racing at full throttle! Now, even the drive in is gone!
Best street races I ever saw, where right off Van Nuys Blvd!
I remember a guy pulling up next to me (I was in my '74 455 Trans Am), in a beat up old Chevy Vega, running rough!
Asked me if I wanted to race his Vega for 200 bucks!
I said sure!
I follow him to a side street, and sitting there is a trailered Vega with big old meats on the back, and skinnies on the front, with a blower sticking out of the hood! I was hanging around H.O. Racing (High Performance Pontiac shop) at the time, and when the guy came over for my money, I just told him that my race car was back at the shop.
That shut him up, after giving me crap about me not wanting to run my stock car against his race car.
I told him I would bring it the following week, but he declined.
Good for me, it wasn't my car!

George
Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Banned

I go back to Lions often
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in Compton-future.jpg  
Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III
Awww... I get it
Naed = dean backwards
Old 01-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

I think this screen names insiration came from Julie's *enigne* and *noissimsnart*
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
My car is close enough... It's from the '80s and it's silver...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:25 AM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 tPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342
Originally posted by Naed
I think this screen names insiration came from Julie's *enigne* and *noissimsnart*
I thought I changed it? Well it's still there I guess.

Hope this one lasts, "Naed."
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JulieGTA
I thought I changed it? Well it's still there I guess.

Hope this one lasts, "Naed."
It won't- people are already jumping on the bandwagon and instigating me rather than just keeping the posts tech- its a label I get for correcting (and in the process offending) others posted miss info. 95% of the banned names are purely a result of moderators just xing me for a previous ban that happened years ago/ or members instigating me in a post about me being a troublemaker when I have posted 100% tech info - it is not repetitive problems, but alot of petty carp that leads to just labeling me the instigator.

I put up a new post on the fabrication board to Teetoe Jones (the guy claying the 50/50 1st gen Camaro project). It was a request for a sticky to get his attention in the event he happens back into the fabrication board to start a rally of support . He had mentioned about 6 months ago in another post on the fab board about wanting to next do aftermarket bodyparts for his 3rd gen Camaro next- no ones heard back from him since. Figured a sticky post of interest from TGO members showing support for new innovative body panels for our cars would be a good thing for 3rd gen Camaro owners- Yet EDE erases the post- he's been doing this crap to me for years even when it is 100% beneficial and tech- suprised he hasn't banned me yet though.

Bunch of BS...

Last edited by Naed; 01-30-2006 at 10:52 AM.