Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Angeles Crest

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 IROC, '87 Volvo 240, '09 Malibu
Engine: LB9 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
Angeles Crest

I just drove through Angeles Crest, starting on Big Tujunga Cyn Road, up to Angeles Forest Hwy and down Angeles Crest Hwy, and figured I may as well report on the status of the highway.

Big Tujunga Cyn Road is still quite a mess. The washed-out section in Tujunga Canyon hasn't been repaired, although the Forest Service has cut into the hillside and compacted a section of dirt road so it is (marginally) drivable. They'll probably get around to paving it ... eventually.

Further up in the canyon, past the first campground, there are more Forest Service construction vehicles. I think they're working on one of the lower roads, not Big Tujunga Cyn Road itself. Still, expect stops through there.

It took me about 30 minutes to run through from Tujunga to La Canada, so it might be a little short for a daytime canyon run anyway. It might be better to start in Palmdale, take either Angeles Forest Highway (near the 14 Fwy) or Angelest Crest Highway (near I-15) through the forest and end in La Canada. Conrad's is a good restaurant with a large parking lot that would make a good stop after coming over Angeles Crest. Either of those two runs should be around an hour.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
I was up in Angeles Crest back in March. Not long after the road was washed out.

AC is a fun run, but IMHO the first half of the run seriously needs to be repaved. That road has been rough for quite a while and is only getting worse. Not fun in a stiffed suspension 3rd gen.

There's also the issue of the sand that likes to blow across the road. Not great for the paint job.

A few short years ago a large group consisting of our 3rd gens, Corvettes, NSX's and Celica Supras did a run through there. Some people came back with hammered paint.

I think I'm gonna start auto-xing and keep it at the track.