Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Another ticket.. geeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ticket.. geeze

A another ticket.. Heck I just got a Bogus ticket the other day.. I have to go to court and fight with an attorney as Im not risking my clean Dmv..

Ok this ticket today no big deal..Front plate fix it ticket..

The cops are out.. Looking for any thing they can find.. This officer even tried playing with me as speeding up and slowing down.. Trying to get me to budge 1 mile over the speed limit.. Even though we came to a stop as he passed by and made a U turn.. He still wanted to get anything else he could..
Old 11-28-2004, 10:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
What an @$$hole.

Reminds me of when I got pulled over in my '82, they pulled me over because I was driving a "suspicious vehicle." They couldn't get me on anything untill they saw the cracked windshield. You know your driving POS cars when you get pulled over 3 times for suspicious vehicle. Twice in my '82, and the first day I had my silver '83.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: '89 GTA, '15 Camaro LS 6sp.
Engine: L98, LFX.
Transmission: 4L60, AY6.
Axle/Gears: 3.27's.
I disagree. I don't think we drive POS vehicles. Any vehicle can look like a POS if it's not well taken care of.lol!

I see some 5-10 year old Cadillac's and BMW's that look like POS's. My '88 2wd Toyota PU (daily driver) might be considered a POS, but I take care of it and it's one of the cleanest looking '88 PU's in So. Cal.

Front plate fix it tickets? Give me a break! That guy was just fishing for anything to get you on. Geez, you'd think the po po would have enough to do with all the speeders, tailgaters, non turn-signalers and carpool lane violaters driving around.

I sure wish they'd start cracking down on all these people with clear turn-signal lenses with clear bulbs in them. I see so many "lifted" trucks with that crap too.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

Car: '87 Cam RS V6
Engine: Top Secret
Transmission: DYT700R4 custom inerts and conv.
I thought there was a discussion on this topic of "no front plates" awhile back. If I recall, someone stated that there is a provision in the penal code that says if a car did not come with mounting holes for a front plate, that you are intitle to NOT have to drill holes to mount one. Its a loophole.

My Camaro has never had a front plate on it ever. I disd get hassled many times for no front plate on my POS worktruck and the trailer ball hitch was blocking the rear- Never ticketed thought. I ended up putting it back on the second time the SAME COP (Sheriff) pulled me over six months apart- once in Villapark, once in Newport Beach- Whats the frikin odds of that. He remembered me because I gave him the same line of crap about just dropping off my cement mixer at a job site and heading back to the shop to remove it.

Last edited by vsixtoy; 11-29-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Originally posted by vsixtoy
I thought there was a discussion on this topic of "no front plates" awhile back. If I recall, someone stated that there is a provision in the penal code that says if a car did not come with mounting holes for a front plate, that you are intitle to NOT have to drill holes to mount one. Its a loophole.

There is no loophole. Our cars are new enough to have been originally issued two license plates, so we are required to have both of them installed. It doesnt matter how, as long as they are secured. If you bought your car used and it only had one plate on it, then you better contact the person you bought it from and see if they still have the other plate. Otherwise, you will need to get two new plates from the DMV. Sorry, there is no way around this. That's why I put my front plate on.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: magflatoVE
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 411
Re: Another ticket.. geeze

Originally posted by BrandenCali
A another ticket.. Heck I just got a Bogus ticket the other day..
Sorry to hear that. I've heard cops have to give certain amount of tickets a month. I guess they rush at the end of the month to complete that amount.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Z-28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 02 WS6 Rear w/3:42
Re: Re: Another ticket.. geeze

Originally posted by Z28 DUDE
Sorry to hear that. I've heard cops have to give certain amount of tickets a month. I guess they rush at the end of the month to complete that amount.
Thats what I have heard too. I got pulled over twice and they both hapened at the end of the month. The second time I got pulled over a motorcyle chp was going the opposite way on the freeway and pulled a u-turn just to get me
Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Right cops are out at the end of the months and at the end of the year more than anything.. The officer may or may not have a quota.. But Im sure the Chief of Police and Hwy patrol does..

The front plates.. Kevin is correct.. And it is California Law.. If you were driving a Monster Garage car you would still need a plate..

There has been cars issued only 1 plate.. When did the law take effect.. Would be the thing.. Because what if you have a 69 Camaro and it so to say only came with 1 plate.. And they make this new Law.. Your car will no longer be completely original to keep and drive on the street..
The cop said wire something on the plate they don't care you can take it back off once you leave.. You will just have to do the process all over again if pulled over for it.. Live the hassle of all there questions.. Are you on probation have you been arrested before.. Do you own the car.. Where you coming from..
The system needs so much work..

I get my new plates in 8-12 weeks.. Pig Mgnt.. (PigMagnet)
Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

There has never been a car built since WWII at least in Cali that didn't get a front plate. There are no loop holes as Kevin said. I don't have a front plate on my T/A, yet, but it will get one like Brett put on his as soon as I get time to do it or a ticket whichever comes first. One of the big advantages that I saw on vacation in Az is that they don't have front license plates.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Originally posted by Russ-So Cal
There has never been a car built since WWII at least in Cali that didn't get a front plate. There are no loop holes as Kevin said. I don't have a front plate on my T/A, yet, but it will get one like Brett put on his as soon as I get time to do it or a ticket whichever comes first. One of the big advantages that I saw on vacation in Az is that they don't have front license plates.
Yep, as Kevin and Russ stated, there is NO loophole. Believe me, I've been popped twice for no front plate and have read the CVC on this with a fine toothed comb. That's why I fabricated my front plate bracket that uses existing screws under the nose to attach. I can put it on and/or take it off in 2 minutes with a 10mm wrench.

CVC states that any car that was originally issued two license plates must display them both. As Russ mentioned, CA has been issuing two plates for decades, so the "I only have one plate" excuse does not hold up - I know I tried that the first time I got ticketed. You are required to purchase new plates if that is the case or keep paying $30 every time you get cited.

Also, simply laying the front plate on the dashboard doesn't fly either. The CVC clearly states that the plates must be CLEARLY visible and SECURELY mounted to the vehicle. This law has been in effect for several years, but was never really enforced until the traffic cameras came into use.

You also have to watch out when parking your car. I was ticketed twice by parking enforcement while my car sat legally parked on the street.

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 11-29-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 PM

Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: WC T-5
When I got pulled over in Garden Grove last month, the cop told me that he pulled me over b/c I had no front plate. Then, he proceeded to impound my car but never cited me for the missing plate. Go figure...

I guess the $220 they got out of me for the impound was worth a little more than a fix-it for the front plate.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Mikos_89
I disagree. I don't think we drive POS vehicles. Any vehicle can look like a POS if it's not well taken care of.lol!

I see some 5-10 year old Cadillac's and BMW's that look like POS's. My '88 2wd Toyota PU (daily driver) might be considered a POS, but I take care of it and it's one of the cleanest looking '88 PU's in So. Cal.

Front plate fix it tickets? Give me a break! That guy was just fishing for anything to get you on. Geez, you'd think the po po would have enough to do with all the speeders, tailgaters, non turn-signalers and carpool lane violaters driving around.

I sure wish they'd start cracking down on all these people with clear turn-signal lenses with clear bulbs in them. I see so many "lifted" trucks with that crap too.
I didn't call third gens POS' I called my old '82 and the condition my '83 was in a POS.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: LS1 - 346 ci
Transmission: 4L60E
Why did he impound your car?!
What an ***!
Just like the cop who followed me out of albertson's to ticket me!
Only good that came out of it is my avatar.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt
I better lay low for awhile. My Trans Am has never had the front plate on. I'm not sure where it is if I have to put it on. Allen
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 PM
KiLLJ0Y

yeah i dont have one either.

i used to get hammered all the time in my 4th gen for no front plate. i just paid the 10$ and said to hell with it. its just cops meeting their "non-quota" for the month.

basically a cop is expected to give out "X" amount of tickets a month, the supervisors will think they are not doing their job if they see they are not handing out enough tickets, thats why you see them out a lot more towards the end of the month.

i know this to be true per officer Morton, city of orange police, one of my friends who is in the traffic division, and no i dont get special privilages
Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: '89 GTA, '15 Camaro LS 6sp.
Engine: L98, LFX.
Transmission: 4L60, AY6.
Axle/Gears: 3.27's.
What about all the people with "illegal" tint on their windows? I see soooo many vehicles here in So. Cal with limo tint it's unbelievable. The kind of dark front window tint that just screams WRITE ME A TICKET!

You'd think the CHP would so pre-occupied with writing illegal tint tickets that they wouldn't have time for the front plate violators.

Yeah, the CHP might not call them "quotas" per se, but instead I think they prefer to call them "target goals".
Old 11-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: LS1 - 346 ci
Mannn CHP was out in FULL FORCE this weekend! Driving back to Irvine, I counted 3 cops w/in a 5 minute stretch of the 405! Talk about reaching their quota!
And I hear the cops by LAX are the ones **** about the tint, I know of 2 people who got pulled over there for tint... and had to get it removed. I'm not driving by LAX w/ my windows up...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 89V6FBIRD
Mannn CHP was out in FULL FORCE this weekend! Driving back to Irvine, I counted 3 cops w/in a 5 minute stretch of the 405! Talk about reaching their quota!
And I hear the cops by LAX are the ones **** about the tint, I know of 2 people who got pulled over there for tint... and had to get it removed. I'm not driving by LAX w/ my windows up...
Every Morning off the 5 Near Tustin Ranch there heading towards Walnut.. There is an Irvine police car with a car pulled over every time.. Funny thing about the other ticket was the only thing the officer Or Sergeant excuse me cough.. What a jerk he was over calling him officer.. any rate he for got the front windows .. I hope he does not come after me for another fine.. Id be bummed if I don't make it through the year without my tint.. Id probably give up.. Every morning going North on the 5 there.. There is a Motorcycle cop with someone pulled over there every time.. Someone wants to keep there job.. They want all there buddies back on the force just as we want every ones thirdgen's to just be awesome.. State needs money.. They got the tickets.. They will make there quota.. Im keeping it low for the year.. Cruising time..
Old 11-30-2004, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

The chp was out in force this weekend because of the holiday. It had nothing to do with end of the month quotas. The chp was paying overtime to get more officers on the street. The main point was to stop speeders and drunks during the holidays. Expect to see the same thing from Christmas to New Years. Since 911 cops are **** about tint any where they think might be a terrorist target. Since 911, I would expect anyone in a car with dark tint around LAX should expect to be arrested and questioned as a suspected terrorist. Driving a car near LAX with dark tint is similar to wearing a mask into a bank.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:18 AM

I hope they aren't as annoyed with no front plate, I work a LAX and pass by many cops everday and don't want a front plate.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
WARNING
the 22 (Garden Grove) fwy is litterly plastered with 55mph speed limit signs in preperation for the upcoming construction work.
In the short stretch between the crush and the 55 I have seen 3 vehicles getting tickets in 2 days.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:24 PM

Car: '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt/3.42
Another place to stay away from if you do not have front plates & have tinted widows is Hollywood Blvd on weekends. CHP ticketed me for not having front plates then not even a block later got pulled over again by a different CHP oficer and got a ticket for tinted windows. The first oficer was nice and polite but the 2nd officer was a total dick about it, he told me that if he see's my car again he was going to impound it because it was unsafe. This was the first time I had an encounter w/ a cop that was a total ahole.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:30 PM

Car: Assorted
Engine: Various
Transmission: Manual and Automatic
Just a heads up for those of you who do have to visit the LAX area. The Airport Police .... Not LAPD .... Cruse the parking lots looking for Violations. Unpaid registration, no front plate, tinted windows,bald tires, etc. I personally have seen them have a car towed for expired registration. Now the LAPD is just as guilty,they also can cruse the parking lots and cite for violations, however they seem to be a little busy getting shot at flyer parties as of late.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Moving...
Engine: Running...
Transmission: Shifting...
Originally posted by injdinjn
WARNING
the 22 (Garden Grove) fwy is litterly plastered with 55mph speed limit signs in preperation for the upcoming construction work.
In the short stretch between the crush and the 55 I have seen 3 vehicles getting tickets in 2 days.
No Kidding, I saw all those last night on my way home
Old 11-30-2004, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Wow, I've never seen the Garden Grove Freeway clear enough to get above 45! Are they really going to enable people to drive 55 on that parking lot?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

My front plates are on.. I actually fixed 2 things wrong with the car.. One the plate and 2 I had a 3rd brake light out just one but who knows they could stop you for that.. See one bulb and Sh*t out in that row and Pull ovar.. So I fixed that also..
What I had to do with the front plate was bend the top and hammer it flat looks good and I rolled the plate the shape of the grille.. Drilled 2 small holes on the bottom and that's it.. I need a new grille anyway.. I was going to just use Velcro and go have the ticket paid for and written off.. But they probably wont fall for that..

Now I need a 15 tooth on my trans so I can put in my correct Speedo gear 41.. I better get to the dealer tomorrow for sure.. That's 10mph and the gauge does not work smoothly on low speeds as if it were to have the correct Speedo for the gear it would be slow and smooth..
Old 12-03-2004, 02:37 AM

Car: 92 z28
i think its the shape that your car is in when I had my 88 firebird i allways got pulled over because it was a beater (faded paint, bad interior etc.) but in my 92 z28 that looks well maintaned (without a front plate, and tinted windows) the cops dont even look at me. i remember the cops would follow me for 3-5 miles probly running my plates in the bird and it didnt even have any tint on the windows with a front plate, and a quiet exhaust.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Banned

Car: '87 Cam RS V6
Engine: Top Secret
Transmission: DYT700R4 custom inerts and conv.
The profiling done by Irvine cops is pretty simple to figure out.

The city of Irvine wants every car to look the same just like every house looks the same in that city. Change a car from the normal stamped out yuppy look and they don't like it- plus its easy to target a car that has any modification change- hard to target a stock Honda or Lexus for any violations or revenue.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 PM

Ya last thursday I got a visit from a bike cop. I was going one way and I saw the cop making a left. I looked at him and he looked right at me. I knew then he was going to pull me over. He made a u-turn and speed up, cutting off people. He then pulls me over and I roll down the window. He tells me did you just put your belt on, I just looked at him like a crazy man and said I had it on all the time. Then he just takes off all pissed off. That's my story.
Peace Out,
PsychoGTA:lala:

American Beef Better
Than **** Anyday
Old 12-07-2004, 03:27 PM

Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: WC T-5
Why did he impound your car?!
What an ***!
Just like the cop who followed me out of albertson's to ticket me!
Only good that came out of it is my avatar.
Well, actually the impound was b/c my registration was also expired (woopsie! ). Believe it or not, I was on my way out to Don's to get the distributor looked at so I could go get it smogged and bring the registration up to date. Either way, he could have just given me a ticket (which would have been roughly the same cost) or just let me go... (ya, riiight). I learned long ago that you don't smart off or talk sh*t to a cop (a 12 gauge to my head made that a real quick lesson... ), but this guy was completely unreasonable. Even when I went into the station to get my release form to get the car back, the cop behind the counter asked who the officer was who impounded it and when I told her, she and another cop in the vicinity just started chuckling.

I have been pulled over a few times here in Long Beach, once I even ran a stop sign (inadvertently, of course) right in front of a cop and had an expired license (this time, drivers license) and he still let me go with a warning! I guess here in LB they're more concerned with catching crack dealers and gangstas
Old 12-07-2004, 05:29 PM

Car: '91 firebird
Engine: 5.0L V8
2 weekends ago me and my friend were driving down to all the junkyards by brown airfield in san diego and and in the 40 minutes we were on the road there and back we saw 9 cars get pulled over. on the way back a cop came up behiend us with his lights flashing but lucky for us he pulled over the lady in front of us.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
I hate to let most of you guys know, but at least prior to 1988 Camaro's did NOT have an option for a front drivers license plate. IE you do not have to have it on. It is true that if the vehicle did not have a FACTORY option for the license plate the cops cannot bother you. They will, but they are just stroking themselves. The reason is they cannot force you to cause unneeded damage to your car. IE drill holes. Now what they CAN DO is require you to keep it in the windshield on the passengers side. Just do that.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Jstcrzyengh
I hate to let most of you guys know, but at least prior to 1988 Camaro's did NOT have an option for a front drivers license plate. IE you do not have to have it on. It is true that if the vehicle did not have a FACTORY option for the license plate the cops cannot bother you. They will, but they are just stroking themselves. The reason is they cannot force you to cause unneeded damage to your car. IE drill holes. Now what they CAN DO is require you to keep it in the windshield on the passengers side. Just do that.
Maybe so.. But Law says you have this fix it ticket.. You still need to go in and fight it from there.. It is easier for me to drill to holes into a grille which I need to replace anyway's and let these people write this off from the State City or anything having to do with the system in regards to this matter.. It's just a joke for a reason for them to stop you.. It takes your time away from you to fix these matters that mean. What Law..

Oh and they would not let me have my Personalized plates made..
Old 12-27-2004, 04:58 PM
KiLLJ0Y

last time i had a front plate ticket.. i didnt even fix it.. i walked into the OC Police station next to Dons shop.. handed them my ticket and said i needed it signed off.. a guy walked outside the door with me.. stopped, asked me if my car was here.. i said "Yes" he didnt even walk over to it or look at it, or even ask what car it was, just signed the ticket, and off i went.

i guess he assumed that it would have been fixed since i brought the car to the station.

this has happend before, thats why i did that this 2nd time. they dont realyl care, its just some wanna be police cadet behind the desk and wont know a thing.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:37 PM

Car: Assorted
Engine: Various
Transmission: Manual and Automatic
I dont know where you got your information from, but my 84 Camaro Z-28 was built at the Van Nuys Plant along with thousands of others including one of my best friends and both of our cars came with Front Plate Mount installed. Both of us have owned the cars since new and they were built only a few days apart.Also having the plate up on the dash wont get it either. The plate has to be mounted a specific distance from the ground
Old 12-27-2004, 08:46 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro & 1996 Camaro
Engine: V8 350 tpi
I dunno, but my 87 camaro doesnt have plates in the front and i havent even been stopped or anything.

Plus i think third-gens look horrible with front plates...its like they werent built for them to wear....ya know?

Last edited by DieNgrey; 12-28-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 firebird s/e 83 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L 305ci 4b carb.....CFI
Transmission: TH200C....700R4
I keep my front plate under my seat so I can whip it out and put it on the dash before the dikhead notices.
Attached Thumbnails Another ticket.. geeze-lights.jpg  
Old 12-27-2004, 11:56 PM

Sorry, but you're dreaming. Please see my post above, 11-28-04, 10:42 PM for the real deal. I get my info from the CA vehicle code, how about you?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5200.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

As I said, it doesnt matter how many plates were on your car when you got it, it was issued two plates to the original owner. I forget when CA DMV started issuing two license plates, but I know it was before 1982. Therefore, all of our cars are required by CA vehicle code to have both plates permanently mounted and displayed.

End of conflict.

Last edited by Kevin91Z; 12-28-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kevin91Z
Sorry, but you're dreaming. Please see my post above, 11-28-04, 10:42 PM for the real deal. I get my info from the CA vehicle code, how about you?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

As I said, it doesnt matter how many plates were on your car when you got it. I forget when CA DMV started issuing two license plates, but I know it was before 1982. Therefore, all of our cars are required by CA vehicle code to have both plates permanently mounted and displayed.

End of conflict.
Ah no I don't dream, I live the reality

and It's the end because you say so? I think not.

Here you go YOUR OWN link

My vehicle in particular was NEVER issued dual plates. My car never had the option to install a front mounted license plate. I ordered new "plates" from AAA, guess how many I got

You can F up your car if you like, but I have fought this same ticket twice and won. I have also been pulled over maybe three times additionally were the cop was unable to issue the ticket, because I asked him to prove where it says that a vehicle, not factory equipped with a front license plate, had to devalue their car to install a front license plate. I finally got a smart cop who said that it is california law, but that all you need to do is install it in the front window as long as it does not block the drivers forward or rear view and by your OWN links it shows it needs to be no higher thean 60" from the ground. Last time I checked my windshield is no where near that height. Considering most of us lower our cars it makes it that much better.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM

My vehicle in particular was NEVER issued dual plates. My car never had the option to install a front mounted license plate.
Are you the original owner? If not, how do you know your car wasnt issued two plates? As I said, CA started giving out two plates before 1982.

Also, all Camaros have a place to mount the front plate between the openings in the grill. The option was there, even if the hardware is not.

That link says both plates must be securely mounted. Sitting in your windshield is not securely mounted. Just because you got away with it doesnt mean its right. Should we call you O.J. Simpson, now?

Last edited by Kevin91Z; 12-28-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kevin91Z
Should we call you O.J. Simpson, now?

No I drive a Camaro, oh wait I do drive a bronco too
Old 12-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

Let's keep at the fact's and that Is California Law they want every vehicle to have 2 plates.. Now if DMV is going to run your registration and still only give you one plate which is not in todays world b/c they have a stack of them there and when you get them you will recieve 2..

Now on the hand of Gm not putting some Dealer brackets hardware on these cars.. Is left there with that story.. But if it falls in where a plate could be a safety issue and Im sure it could.. It was there Screw up and should have made sure all 3rdgens had the mounts and brackets and what ever needed to mount both plates.. Was law in effect back in the 80's well.. When someone shows me Fact I will agree there.. But today is Law and that's every car is to have them..

If you look at a lot of 3rdgen's like we most do.. You will see some front grille's, fascia's etc with drill holes.. Some look like they were never finished and the owner still does not have a plate.. Probably b/c they were never gave the Bracket..
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
I can tell you that Calif has issued two plates to vehicles as far back as the late 1940's.

Why then I don't know. but now it is because of toll road cameras and red light cameras. and they need to raise every dollar they can since the State is "borrowing" some of the money it usually sends to the cities.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 AM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Ah no I don't dream, I live the reality

and It's the end because you say so? I think not.

Here you go YOUR OWN link

My vehicle in particular was NEVER issued dual plates. My car never had the option to install a front mounted license plate. I ordered new "plates" from AAA, guess how many I got

You can F up your car if you like, but I have fought this same ticket twice and won. I have also been pulled over maybe three times additionally were the cop was unable to issue the ticket, because I asked him to prove where it says that a vehicle, not factory equipped with a front license plate, had to devalue their car to install a front license plate. I finally got a smart cop who said that it is california law, but that all you need to do is install it in the front window as long as it does not block the drivers forward or rear view and by your OWN links it shows it needs to be no higher thean 60" from the ground. Last time I checked my windshield is no where near that height. Considering most of us lower our cars it makes it that much better.
I agree. If the car does not have mounting holes for a plate, the license-plate-in-the-window fix should be acceptable. Ok, so maybe it wouldn't be "securely attached." Tape it to your window. As far as I can tell, it is following the laws set forth in both of those links. It wouldn't be more than 60" above the ground, it would be securely fastened, it would have a plate in the front and the rear because I was issued 2, and it would be clearly visible, because, I don't know about you, but I can see my license plate through my front window. That sounds pretty visible to me.
I like my front grille. Its shiny. I am not going to drill holes in it.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by astoria18
I agree. If the car does not have mounting holes for a plate, the license-plate-in-the-window fix should be acceptable. Ok, so maybe it wouldn't be "securely attached." Tape it to your window. As far as I can tell, it is following the laws set forth in both of those links. It wouldn't be more than 60" above the ground, it would be securely fastened, it would have a plate in the front and the rear because I was issued 2, and it would be clearly visible, because, I don't know about you, but I can see my license plate through my front window. That sounds pretty visible to me.
I like my front grille. Its shiny. I am not going to drill holes in it.
You guys can try the "plate-in-the-window" deal, but don't cry when you get cited. Jstcrzyengh apparently found a couple lenient cops who didn't want to bother with the tickets, so he got off.

I can tell you, I've gone over the CVC with a fine tooth comb. I even used the "My car came from a dealer with only (1) plate and has no factory provision to mount a front plate".

I even had an attourney friend review my argument. He said it was well written, but be prepared to pay the fine or buy new plates.

Know what reply I got from the city of L.A? "Sorry, CVC states you MUST have (2) plates."

Taping the plate in the window can open you up to a citation for obsctructing your view, so that won't fly. I've been harassed in the past for having "For Sale" signs in the passenger quarter windows on my '72 Monte Carlo. The officer informed me you CANNOT have ANYTHING taped in the windows while driving.

Simply laying it on the dash violates the "Clearly visible and securely mounted" portion of the CVC. When I got my no front plate ticket signed off by the CHP, the officer inspected my car and made sure the plate was properly attached.

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 12-28-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 PM

If you dont have the other plate and you get someone (a judge) who actually reads the rulebook, they will instruct you to go to the DMV and order a new set of plates for your car. After you pay the fine, of course. Even you're admitting you talked to a smart cop and he said you had to have 2 plates. I've been down the path too, and the CVC is pretty clear about it...

No cars sold in this state are factory equipped with 2 plates, they come from the DMV. The dealer usually included with the car a paper bag that has the mounting bracket for the front plate, thats for the ones that didnt go ahead and install it. I dont know what year your car was, but I had one with my 84 Firebird and 85 TA, and they both came with it originally from GM. My 86 had one, the original owner pitched it. My 89 had it installed. Must have been some sort of special delete option... except it wasnt an option.

Some states only require 1 plate, but we are not one of them.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:27 PM

Here you go:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr11.htm

IMPORTANT: California law requires license plates be attached to the front and back of all automobiles and light-duty trucks.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III
Originally posted by BretD 88GTA

Simply laying it on the dash violates the "Clearly visible and securely mounted" portion of the CVC. When I got my no front plate ticket signed off by the CHP, the officer inspected my car and made sure the plate was properly attached.
Hey Bret,can you check ur PMs, thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by cali92RS
Hey Bret,can you check ur PMs, thanks
You have a reply.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
when I ordered a Z-28 grill for my 91 RS it didn't have holes drilled for a plate but if you look on the back side there are studs to screw into. You guys who don't have the holes drilled on your older camaros might have the same thing

Quick Reply: Another ticket.. geeze