Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Regardling stock LG4's and TEST ONLY, important!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 12:05 PM

REVISED: TEST ONLY! VERY IMPORTANT!!!! BAR VIOLATES LAW!

Refer to this post:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=214037

My dad got a letter today from the BAR. Its not random. They are picking on certain makes/models. In print, black and white.

Time to start writing letters, this is plain and simple.

Last edited by madmax; 12-24-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
This is a direct quote
"In determining which vehicles to send to Test-Only stations for their smog check, BAR focuses on vehicle groups, families and model-years that contrubute significantly higher emissions than others. The factors considered include:
Vehicle make, model, and year;
Engine size/engine family
Emissions configuration (i.e. does the vehicle have a catalyic converter, fuel inection, carburetor, air injection or exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve; and
Previous Smog Check history of the vehicle itself and others like it."

"Furthermore, if the time comes when your vehicle has passed two consecutive, biennial (every other year) Test-Only inspections, whthout having to make ANY Smog Check repairs, BAR would like to offer you a test at one of our Referee Centers."

I like the part "IF the time comes".
And why would I EVER want to go to a State referee???????

They also state that motor vehicles produce 70% of the pollution.

The Test-Only concept is a federal rule calling for a seperation of testing and repair. "the concern is that a Smog Check station doing both testing and repair could be motivated to falsely pass a vehicle or inappropiately fail a vehicle to perform unnecessary repairs". But if the vehicle fails the Test-Only, after repairs, the vehicle does NOT have to be rechecked at a Test-Only center.

AND ACCORDING TO SEMA
The Calif Air Resources Board agreed to a plan to reduce air pollution. The plan includes tougher emissions tests for personnel vehicles (more stringent cut points) and possible repeal of the 30 year exemption, and load testing for trucks between 8500 and 10000 lbs GVWR.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got one of these too.. damn.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:26 PM

Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: WC T-5
Originally posted by injdinjn
"Furthermore, if the time comes when your vehicle has passed two consecutive, biennial (every other year) Test-Only inspections, whthout having to make ANY Smog Check repairs, BAR would like to offer you a test at one of our Referee Centers."
Both my LB9 and LO3 have had to go to 'test only' stations for at least the past 4 years. Neither have ever failed (close once but never fail). I still have to go to 'test only' centers!

The shop I go to costs a little more (as most 'test only's' do), but one time my gas cap failed and he just gave me one he had that would pass and sent me on my way.

They also state that motor vehicles produce 70% of the pollution.
Yeah, but what they don't tell you is that the majority of that comes from diesel trucks, ships in the ports (I guess they're motor vehicles!?), aircraft, etc. Diesel emissions are one of the single biggest pollution problems in the South Coast Air Basin, especially here in the Long Beach area, but since ships and diesel trucks to and from the ports drive the economy in So. Cal., govt. is unwilling to put more of a burden on them for fear of hurting the economy. With more and more LEV and ULEV cars on the roads as years go by, auto emissions will become less and less significant, but the smog check program is too lucrative for the State to be weaned off of it anytime soon... especially in this fiscal climate.

I need to smog the 'vert before Jan. 17... guess what type of station...

Last edited by drop-top IROC; 12-23-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
I just smogged my car for the third straight time at a "Test Only" center. My car passes with flying colors each time.

While reviewing my paperwork today I noticed this on the Vehicle Information section:
"Inspection Reason: High Emitter Profile"

I also liked this from the Overall Test Results.
"Congratulations! Your vehicle passed the enhanced Smog Check inspection, which helps California reach its daily goal of removing 100 tons of smog-forming emissions from the air. Thank you for keeping your vehicle well maintained."

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 12-24-2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III
All this makes me proud to be a citizen of california!!!
It kinda makes me have second thoughts of swappin in that 350.

Ken
Old 12-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Cars
Engine: SB
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
I heard there are some counties in CA that do not require a smog check. Lets get P.O. Box's there and have all our cars registered in that county.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Dwayne
Yes, there are some exempt areas.
Nice idea but you have to have a address, just a PO Box number won't suffice. The POBox stores used to list the box mumber as "suite" or "unit" number to make it like a address, but the Feds put the kabosh to that.
We need a hermit that lives between Baker and Needles or in the NE corner of Calif.
Or, form a corp and buy a piece of property somewhere.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:31 PM

I got it!

The guys name is PATRICK DORIAS of the BAR. He is the "Chief" by title, whatever that is.

Here is the California Health and Safety code: (I have bolded the relevant areas)

"44014.7. (a) The department shall require 2 percent of the vehicles
required to obtain a certificate of compliance each year in enhanced
program areas to receive their certificate from a test-only
facility.
(b) The department may require a number not to exceed 2 percent of
the vehicles required to obtain a certificate of compliance each
year in basic program areas to receive their certificate from a
test-only facility.
(c) The vehicles specified in subdivisions (a) and (b) shall be
selected at random.
The vehicles may be included among the vehicles
subject to subdivision (d) of Section 44010.5, to the extent that the
vehicles are registered in enhanced program areas. The review
committee may review the selection process to ensure that it is a
statistically significant representation of the vehicles subject to
the basic and enhanced programs.
The department shall select the
vehicles and the Department of Motor Vehicles shall notify the owners
of their obligation under this section pursuant to Section 4000.3 of
the Vehicle Code. Selection shall be made from vehicles in an area
where a test-only facility is located."

Do you have a test only requirement on your F-body? Time to tell them to stuff it, and smog your car wherever you please.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Well, for me the "Test Only" thing hasn't been a problem. I have a good shop about 10 minutes from my house that I use and it costs me $44.70 for the test and $8.25 for the certificate.

I do like the fact that they don't tinker with the car. They just roll in onto the test dyno, run it, give it a quick visual and I'm on my way.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Dwayne88IROC
I heard there are some counties in CA that do not require a smog check. Lets get P.O. Box's there and have all our cars registered in that county.

Dwayne,

Do they require the 'dyno test' yet in SB county? I heard that they were going to start that.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by injdinjn
Or, form a corp and buy a piece of property somewhere.

but then we'd hafta have quarterly shareholder meetings...!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am; '88 GTA
Engine: Vortec 355ci TPI
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
My 84 carbed TA had to be smogged at a Test-Only center when I bought it last March, but upon renewal this month nothing was required. I wonder if "Random" means once they pick a car they stick with it for a number of years.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:30 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI
Transmission: 5-Speed
High emmiter profile means that your Make/Model/year is more liely to fail than others. 13% of cars in "Enhanced areas" are sent to test-only, 2% are what they call the 1.9 Random Sample. Those are chosen randomly by the computer.

Perfect example of why the Test-only system exists:
(Mind you that this happened before I started working at the smog shop I work at now.)

My Fiance has a 1983 Volvo that we couldn't get to pass smog, It kept failing on NOx. I took it to a Test/Repair staion 4 times to get it checked(same guy, stupid me) and it failed 4 times on Nox, but everything else "passed." When it failed, they offered me the $60 diagnostic scan. I took the car to a test only, it failed on NOx and timing...gee it was high. The higher your timing, the higher the NOx. I got home that night, put the timing back where it belonged, and low and behold, it passed.
The first place "overlooked" the timing, knowing that having it high raised the NOx, so that they could get me to pay for the diagnostics and then for the timing adjustment.

There is a silver lining to the Test only system too, if you are sent there and fail, you qualify for the Consumer Assistance Program. With this, you fill out the C.A.P. application and send it in to the BAR with a copy of your failing test results, in about a week and a half, they approve you and send you a letter with a list of shops to take your car to. At that shop, you put up the first $100, and teh shop bills the state for up to $500 more. That money comes from all the people that pass and pay the $8.25 for the passing certificate. The only requirment for you to be accepted is that it says "Smog certification required at a test-only station" on your renewal notice. By law, the shop is supposed to tell you about the program if you fail, but a lot don't. Here's the number if you need it: (800)952-5210
Old 01-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

They made a change to the smog years a few years ago and I think it is still in effect.
Originally your vehciles smog year depended on the last digit in the VIN, odd number odd year.
A few years ago they changed it to 2 years after purchase of the vehicle. If you buy a used car then the smog year changes to two years after you bought the car.
This came from people complaining that they had to smog a car to buy it and then 4 or more months later having to smog it again due to its biannual date. Smog certs are only valid for 90 days.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

There is also a "kicker" to the C.A.P. program. If you take in a stock Volvo and it fails, you apply for the C.A.P. program, put up your $100.00 and away you go. If your modified muscle car fails, even if all of the parts have Carb e o numbers, the dummies at any of the shops they send you to will insist on putting everything back to stock before they take the $100.00 and apply for the difference from the state. So you lose all of your aftermarket parts, and pay for all of the stock junk before you go into the program!