Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Metal retaining clips for wheel center caps?....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Metal retaining clips for wheel center caps?....

Does anyone have some, or even one, metal retaining clip(s) used on the wheel center caps they wouldn't mind parting with? I'm trying to find some extras for my GTA wheels.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: '89 GTA, '15 Camaro LS 6sp.
Engine: L98, LFX.
Transmission: 4L60, AY6.
Axle/Gears: 3.27's.
Bret,

You know what, I'd like to rig up some kind of "theft deterent" retainer ring on the back of each cap to keep them from being easily pulled off the wheel. All it takes is some brazen lowlife who needs some caps for his crapped-out ride and "POP" they're his if you know what I mean.LOL!

Not that anything has happened yet, but you never know. Knockin' on wood here! The OEM caps are getting rather hard to find nowadays.

-Mike
Old 12-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mikos_89
Bret,

You know what, I'd like to rig up some kind of "theft deterent" retainer ring on the back of each cap to keep them from being easily pulled off the wheel. All it takes is some brazen lowlife who needs some caps for his crapped-out ride and "POP" they're his if you know what I mean.LOL!

Not that anything has happened yet, but you never know. Knockin' on wood here! The OEM caps are getting rather hard to find nowadays.

-Mike
I hear ya Mike. I'm bidding on some caps over on eBay. J.C. Whitney also carries the after market versions for $24.99 per set of 4, which if need be will be fine for what I'm going to do. I removed my factory original WS6 caps and have them tucked away in the garage. I then bought some of the cheaper after market caps off eBay along with some spinners at Pep Boys. From there I made some custom center caps that I had been wanting.

Here's a pic:

Unfortunately, just the other day while running Christmas errands I discovered one of my spinner caps was missing. It was either stolen or it popped off when I hit a bump or pot hole. I can easily create a new spinner cap, but the bummer part is that I lost the metal retaining clip. I'm trying to locate a part number and see if I can locate a source for them.

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 12-19-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
If you find enough clips I need 4.
Were never a dealer part. Some caps had them some didn't.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:20 PM

On top of that, there is no part number according to everyone I have talked to.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by injdinjn
If you find enough clips I need 4.
Were never a dealer part. Some caps had them some didn't.
Well, I have a request in with Tom *** and I'm also trying to talk with F-body Motorsports in the 704 area code. I tried them by e-mail and they recommended I call. So today I call them and the used parts guy went home early. They asked me to call back tomorrow.

If someone could manufacture them, they'd tap into a nice little market I'm sure between the Pontiac guys (the 2nd gen owners need these as well) and Buick guys. Maybe we need to talk to Jerry?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: '89 GTA, '15 Camaro LS 6sp.
Engine: L98, LFX.
Transmission: 4L60, AY6.
Axle/Gears: 3.27's.
Hey Bret,

The pic of your wheel with that spinner cap you got on there don't look half bad. You're going to have to write up a tech article on how made them for the stock wheel caps now. LOL!

When people talk about spinners, I always imagine the gaudy chrome ones for some reason. Those black ones you got on there look pretty nice and blend into the center-cap part of the wheel quite well. It's subtle but highly effective for a slightly different look to the stock wheel. I might even have to go and try that out for myself.LOL! If I can ever get the 'ole GTA back together again, that is.

injdinjn,

Thanks for the info on the retaining clips. I've always wondered why some wheels had them and others did not. Most of the late model 3rd gen 'birds I see at the 'yards with those type of wheels never seem to have them though. You think maybe GM "phased" them out for some reason during that time period or something?

Thanks.
-mike
Old 12-20-2003, 12:12 AM

Car: Assorted
Engine: Various
Transmission: Manual and Automatic
Bret I dont know what the clips look like that you are refering to, but the standard caps that came on my 20 slot 15" rims have gotten really loose over the years so after I had the tires rebalanced I put just a little black RTV on the area that snaps inside the wheel. After it set up they are no longer loose and are easy to remove in the future. I can probably make the clips if you have a sample.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by langss
Bret I dont know what the clips look like that you are refering to, but the standard caps that came on my 20 slot 15" rims have gotten really loose over the years so after I had the tires rebalanced I put just a little black RTV on the area that snaps inside the wheel. After it set up they are no longer loose and are easy to remove in the future. I can probably make the clips if you have a sample.
I'll snap a pic of the clip over the weekend and post it. If we could produce them we could make some nice $$$.