Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Wheel emblems...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Wheel emblems...

Anyone have a good source for wheel emblems? I need some new 1.75" center cap emblems for my knock-offs on my rims.

I had these:

However, they started separating so I removed them. I'm guessing the 100° + temps we've had lately lead to their demise. They were made by Gorilla products, but I think they are discontinued. I got lucky and found them on eBay for $3.

I'd love to find the same style emblems only in silver and gold rather than the silver and red you see in the pic. But any decent Pontiac or Firebird style 1.75" emblem will do.

So, anyone have any leads?
Old 09-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

One thing you need to stop using is those outter weights! Look what there doing to your rims..
Old 09-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by BrandenCali
One thing you need to stop using is those outter weights! Look what there doing to your rims..
The rims are actually in good shape. That white stripe on the left is one of the bar code decals that have been on my rims for as long as I've owned the car. The only other marks on the rims are some minor curb rash courtesy of the original owner.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

I think Thomas *** has a source for original style IROC, Z28, and Firebird medallians (sp?). They aren't cheap, though.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Russ-So Cal
I think Thomas *** has a source for original style IROC, Z28, and Firebird medallians (sp?). They aren't cheap, though.
Unfortunately, those won't work since they are 2.25". The kind I need are the type that Pep Boys used to carry.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by BretD 88GTA
The rims are actually in good shape. That white stripe on the left is one of the bar code decals that have been on my rims for as long as I've owned the car. The only other marks on the rims are some minor curb rash courtesy of the original owner.
That's awesome your rims still have the bar code on them.. cool.. But what's that on the right side a weight? I just don't like the weights on the out side.. They hammer those suckers on and make marks into your rims.. First thing I always say is I don't want weights on the outside of my rim..:nono:
Old 09-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by BrandenCali
That's awesome your rims still have the bar code on them.. cool.. But what's that on the right side a weight?
Guilty as charged. I do have weights on the outside of the rims.

It's another carry over from the original owner and I've never stressed with any tire shop not to use them.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

How thick is the cross section on the emblems? www.micromark.com is a company that speciallizes in small tools and hobby supplies. They sell two part silicone mold maker for about $30.00. Use your old emblem as a buck to make a mold, then do your own artwork, and cast in clear acrylic. I think the acrylic casting resin is available at Micheals or Tall Mouse. I remember doing some clear casting with kids at a church craft club years ago. I think all of the materials are still available. I just clicked on the link, and it works. If you go there, click on "metal, wood, rezin, etc" then go to "casting and molding supplies. Go to page 2 of the casting supplies. Part number 82083 near the bottom of the page is what you would use for making the mold. #82133 "colorcast resin" looks like it might work to make the emblems.

Last edited by Russ-So Cal; 09-27-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

How thick is the cross section on the emblems?
I'm not sure. The only decent emblems I can find are these:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...9EUHH3NV5R0K65

I'd prefer to have Pontiac or Firebird emblems rather than Corvette, but those will do the job. And what the heck, my car does have a Corvette motor.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

When I asked about cross section, I was wondering about the possibility of casting your own. You could either get the necessary artwork off the internet, or do your own, and print it on some clear plastic or mylar. Then you would just have to pour a mold 1/2 full of casting resin and put in your art work, finish filling the mold and in 1/2 hour or so you could pop out a new emblem. If your existing emblems are in decent shape other than fading and weathering, you could easily make a mold from one of them and say a cut off bottom of a small margerine tub.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:53 AM
Supreme Member

When I asked about cross section, I was wondering about the possibility of casting your own. You could either get the necessary artwork off the internet, or do your own, and print it on some clear plastic or mylar. Then you would just have to pour a mold 1/2 full of casting resin and put in your art work, finish filling the mold and in 1/2 hour or so you could pop out a new emblem. If your existing emblems are in decent shape other than fading and weathering, you could easily make a mold from one of them and say a cut off bottom of a small margerine tub.
The current emblems were still in good shape except that the clear resin part was separating from the mylar backing. I could use them to make a mold, but the expemse of the materials and the time involved seems a little prohibitive.

At $12 a set I ordered two sets from Ecklers. There are also sets available on eBay but they are the same price as Eckler's.