Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Blue Boy tubing bender is home...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 09:27 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Blue Boy tubing bender is home...

My Blue Boy tubing bender is home from the hospital. The surgery to swap the 10 hp 220v single-phase motor for the 3-phase motor was done and paid for a couple of weeks ago. I was just too busy with the Alston GP and other things to pick it up. I had to rent a trailer since my electric pallet lift wouldn't raise it high enough to clear my truck bed. I had already checked out all the trailers U-Haul had to offer a few weeks back. It turns out the only trailer that was suitable was their car-dolly. I went to El Monte U-Haul, had them hook it up, test the wiring, etc. Then we went inside and did the paperwork. Tow Vehicle, blah blah. Then we get to the question; "what vehicle will you be towing". I'm not towing a vehicle; I'm using it to bring home a piece of equipment weighing 1100 lbs. He has no clue what the tow weight capacity of the tow dolly is (looks in book, asks Supervisor). Returns later to tell me they can't rent it to me since it won't be used to tow a vehicle. He disappears. A few minutes later I go out and see him disconnecting it. I'm pissed, but can't deter him from disconnecting. No problem, off I go. I knew I saw another rental place earlier in the week with nice low trailers that were perfect for my intended purpose. I tried to find it again prior to going to U-Haul without success. Then it dawns on me that it was on Valley Blvd East of the 605.

Yep, Nations Rent! They have some cute lil trailers that are the perfect size and with a low side clearance (the reason why I can't use U-Haul's regular trailers). But they won't rent me those lil trailers. They are intended to be used to haul the roto-tillers they rent. So I decide to get the HUGE car hauler trailer. Tandem axles, electric brakes and something U-Hauls lacks a completely flat diamond plate steel bed. It actually cost a little less than the POS car dolly I was gonna rent at U-Haul. I'm sure glad I went with this trailer instead. Much easier to roll the equipment around on the trailer to properly position it to tie down. Also handy later when I went to unload it. Oh yeah, I thumbed my nose at U-Haul when I passed them later pulling the big trailer. The only problem unloading it was the equipment hit the base of the pallet lift the first time I tried lowering it. I managed to re-position the forks and shift it enough to straddle the base. I'm tired, but happy.

Lon
Old 09-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a picture of the bender and what size dies do you have.

Jerry