Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Moving out to Cali this summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving out to Cali this summer

Hi everyone, well my family has decided to move down to Southern Cali from MASS this summer. I really want to bring my IROC with me, but it will not pass emissions or inspection for that matter. I was wondering if there were any loopholes or exemptions that would allow me to bring the car down with me, for I would really hate to part with it this summer. BTW...what should I be expecting from California (coming from the Northeast)? Thanks guys and I look forward to meeting you guys in a few months!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ssbowtie1
Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 PM

Loopholes?

Basically speaking, if everything isnt intact and working, and it doesnt sniff clean, you can forget about passing. Very few 'friends' will help you because many of them have gotten burned by people from the BAR for doing just that. Maybe if you live here for a while you can find someone who you can get to help you out, but you arent going to walk into a station and throw Benjamin on the hood and pass.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:45 PM

madmax,
By loopholes, I was asking more along the lines of keeping it registered in MA and driving it in California. I just don't know if that is possible or if there is anything to that extent that can be done. Thanks, Ihab
Old 05-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
The only way you can keep it registered in MA is if you have a residence there being used as a primary residence. My advice is do like Chris said and try to find someone who can get you through smog.

Where in So Cal you moving to? Looks like a sweet ride you got there.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:00 PM

Trans87,
Thanks for the compliment. We haven't found a house yet, but we are searching in the Santa Barbra/ Orange County area. Basically in the outskirts of LA. Its going to be hard to even drive around in the car considering I am installing long tubes and a dual exhaust setup with no cats. So even if I get a sticker, I'm probably still going to get stopped and fined for the exhaust. Any other ideas or am I basically stuck with trying to sell the car? Thanks again
Old 05-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Cool deal. The Santa Barbara area is way north of LA and OC where I am is just south of LA. The noise levels you probably won't be hassled about with very much unless you are going open headers. I ran a cut-out on my car for a few months with no problem. You can always keep the IROC as your weekend cruiser and pick up a cheap daily if you have a sentimental attachment to the IROC. Other than that you are kind of stuck. Welcome to California, home of the tree hugging smog ***** Hopefully we will see ya around soon.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:11 PM

Yah the Santa Barbara area is way overpriced too, although it is very nice. We're leaning more towards the OC area, so probably around where you are. I guess I'm going to try to sell the car and buy a 4th gen when I move. Its going to really suck leaving everyone at home behind, so I hope there's a big F-body crowd so I can get to meet some of you guys. It really sucks moving thousands of miles away and not knowing anyone!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Yea there are a few f-bodies around. This board is home to a So Cal f-body club. OC is expensive as well with property but I like the surroundings better. More to do. Around when in the summer are you planning to come over?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:35 PM

I plan on moving in August. I just can't stand the NE winters anymore. The weather is horrible and the people are mostly the stereotypical M*******S. I am also in the process of searching for a decent college that offers engineering in the Southern Cali area. There seems to be alot of fbody members and gatherings in the SoCal area so hopefully I'll get to meet alot of people within the upcoming months.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:27 AM

So Cali. is the best

whats up, well first of all you can expect a lota women out here in the LA area, and a good school for engineering that i know would have to be cal poly pomona, thats about 20 mins. north of OC. your going to love it here coming form the east, our cold days are when it hits a bone chillin' 60 degress . there is always something to do out here, hope to see you at one of the meetings. just bring your roc, you can always just have it reg. in mass. and drive it on the weekends. good luck.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
If my car can pass CA smog, yours can too. Dont install the long tubes or dual exhaust, and keep your cats on it. That'll go a long way in helping you pass.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ssbowtie1,
I was looking at the white car that you have the link to in your first post. Is that the one you are talking about ? (with the TPI/Superram set up removed along with wiring and changed to a carb) If so, you would have to do quite a bit of work to it to ever get it to pass out here.
Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2003, 08:43 AM

Yah, that would be the car. I'm starting to really regret selling the superram and going carb. I have a modded lt1 intake but that's not emissions legal either so it wouldn't help much. Should have kept the SR I think I am going to try and sell it and just buy a thirdgen or fouthgen once I move. I really can't wait to come down here. I just finished my first year at Northeastern University (which I believe was rated the number 2 college of hot girls by Maxim) so seeing girls down there should be like second nature to me. I just can't wait to leave this crappy weather behind. It has been raining for 4 days now, with no end in sight. You guys all seem so friendly too, I have never gotten so many replies so quickly to a post before! I just wish I could bring down the IROC and show it off, instead of coming down empty handed and trying to go to an fbody meeting in my dad's honda!
Old 05-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Cars
Engine: SB
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
ssbowtie1,
North of Santa Barbara is the place to be!!!!

That's were all the fast cars are.:lala: :lala:

Welcome to California. Hope to meet you some day!
Old 05-23-2003, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
Hate to burst your bubble, but after toooooo many years here the only good thing about Calif is the weather.
Everybody is trying to put 32 hours in a 24 hour day, so they are always in a hurry, but traffic sucks so they end up frustrated in a traffic jam.
Setteling on a area is important. Santa Barbara/Goleta area is more expensive then Orange County due to the "no growth mentality" there and their water moritorium.
Valley people will disagree but Orange County is nicer weather wise then the valley nw of LA.
From where I live, just south of disneyland in Tustin it takes 2 hours to go 60 miles to the south valley (405 and 101).
Best engineering schools are Cal State Long Beach, Cal Poly pomona (crowded), Univ Cal Irvine. Or if you are rich Univ of So Cal (USC). The least crowded and very good engineering school is Cal State Fresno, cheap to live there and a nice program.
Oh, and our State government is taking lessons from their counterparts in taxachussis, our taxes and fees are going up by a bunch, we are $38 Billion in debt.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Base Firebird
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44
hey ssbowtie... if ya choose to go to cal state long beach then i'll see ya there next year! cal poly pomona, however, is a better school. oh, what kind of engineering are you studying?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:04 PM

injdinjn,
well...lets just say that after too many years in MA, we don't even have good weather to rely on. Anyone been to the NE area? Basically IT SUCKS! Too cold in the winter, and too much rain in the spring summer. The fall, honestly I don't know how people can look at dying leaves and call it beauty. They're leaves!! Basically out of 365 days, we get a couple weeks worth of decent weather. Also around here in the winter, people are usually very moody because its always so bitter cold and gets dark so early.
90firebird,
I just finished my first year here at NU, so I did not have to decide a field of engineering, but my intended major is mechanical engineering. Are you also studying engineering? How is your school? I plan on taking a semester off next year since I haven't applied to any schools yet, but I intend to start looking shortly.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Base Firebird
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44
i'm just about to graduate from high school, so i dont know too much about CSU Long Beach... i have been over there a couple of times and its a really nice campus... i've also heard that there's alotta hot girls there.
i, too, will be going into mechanical engineering.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:35 PM

Cal Poly has a pretty good mechanical engineering program. I dont know about the one at Long Beach. Living in Orange County and commuting sucks though, so if you decide on either of those 2 schools, live close. Driving 26 miles one way to school every day even if you are on the 'light' traffic side sucks, trust me.

As for your plates and stuff, there are only 2 ways to have out of state plates on your car and live here.
1. You are active military living on base. (Off base may apply too, but not too sure about that one).
2. You live here less than 6 months of the year. Even this is shady, the last law I read you have to get a permit if you plan on staying here more than 2 months I think it is.

If you choose to stick with the out of state plates, and you have some jerk neighbor or local cop that sees the Mass plates on your car over a period of time, you can expect to get a 'reminder' from the local authorities to change them to Cali plates.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Supreme Member

If you keep whatever smog equipment you still have, you can probably pick up the rest of it used. Thomas *** owns "House Of Camaro." He usually has complete tpi systems available ready to bolt on and go. I think the big question concerning your car is how much salt has it been exposed to? I lived in upstate N.Y. for a couple of years in the early 70's and was amazed at how fast cars would rust away. If your car has significant rust problems in the body, you are better off selling it and getting a clean California car out here.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:10 PM

Well it looks like my family has decided on a town, Torrance. I am leaving in the begining of August. Worst part is that I just finished building my car and now I have to sell it. Oh well, so anyone know of any third or fourth gens for sale in that area? I'll be looking for one as soon as I move. Losing friends is also going to be hard, but hopefully I'll meet some new people around here. Well I guess hopefully I'll see some of you guys soon!!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:58 PM

my friends selling his 93 Z28. It has flowmaster, barely installed hi-flow cats. They got Cobra rims on them too. With a nice stero system. He's selling it for $5,500. Or do u wanna buy mine.
Peace Out,
PsychoGTA
------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails Moving out to Cali this summer-100_04311.jpg